Green tritium locator

2 stage switch

International postage
Total 40GBP

Thanks,
Drew

wquiles

Flashaholic
Sorry for the "stupid" question, but is the body stainless like in the original Orb or raw aluminum (most likely)?

Will

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are being posted this week :thumbsup:

songled

Newly Enlightened
orb said:
The RWAH Bin 1 watts will be here Tomorrow.
I will put some photos up to show comparison between 3 watt RCR2 & 1 watt CR2.
Hi, orb
It would be very interesting to see the 3 watt RCR2 & 1 watt CR2 side by side.
I think an improvement to both the 3w and 1w raw would be o-ring visions, which could be walter-proof and smoother to operate (especially for the 1w one since it targets at EDC).
Adding o-ring(s) should be easy and not expensive. At lease it could be better to leave an o-ring slot at the 1w (or 3w) raw's connecting part which make it possible for the users to add an o-ring themselves.
Regards

songled

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soon as I can, I will do that photo.
If I could add an O-ring some place of use then I would. Look out for the new Raw NS which will have O rings.

The 1 watt Raw is now on www.theorb.co.uk
Thank you again to lightlust for getting us by. :Cheers:

rscanady

Enlightened
Emails were sent? Hmmm, I didnt see any emails in my inbox, oh well hopefully next week or two they get here.

Ryan

Ned-L

Enlightened
Orb:

I was just reviewing some of your earlier posts about 1W versus 3W. It was a little too technical for a newbie like me, but do I understand you to have said that something about the 1W makes it brighter than the RAW 3W? But the 1W can't use rechargeable batteries? So is the only reason to go with the 3W because it can use rechargeable batteries? So while I logically think I should want a 3W because it should be brighter, I should go for the 1W if I don't care about using rechargeable batteries? Could you explain the differences a little more, especially if I got it all wrong?

Also, can you fill in any more details about the Raw NS and when it will be available?

Thanks.

orb said:
Soon as I can, I will do that photo.
If I could add an O-ring some place of use then I would. Look out for the new Raw NS which will have O rings.

The 1 watt Raw is now on www.theorb.co.uk
Thank you again to lightlust for getting us by. :Cheers:

Last edited:

gnef

Enlightened
I believe what he meant was that compared to the 3W raw with primary cells (disposable, regular lithium cells) the 1W is brighter on the same cells. the 1W will not compare at all to the 3W when on 'high' or just 'on' if there is no two-stage switch with the rcr2 cells. the 1W will burn up if you try to use the recharables.

although, i am interested in the 'NS' version as well, dunkable, perhaps? same dimensions? any date? price?

also, i sent a pm and email to orb a while ago without a response. i was wondering as to the batteries currently used in the orb? are they 350 still like the site says, or have you switched to 300 for reliability and since that is what AW sells? and with the 300, what is the expected run time on high?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
gnef said:
I believe what he meant was that compared to the 3W raw with primary cells (disposable, regular lithium cells) the 1W is brighter on the same cells. the 1W will not compare at all to the 3W when on 'high' or just 'on' if there is no two-stage switch with the rcr2 cells. the 1W will burn up if you try to use the recharables.

Correct, Thank you.

No certain date yet Re Raw Ns, just as soon as I can pull everything together.
Other details can be found in the Raw Ns or son of a raw thread.

Yes we stopped using the 350 RCR2 due to reliability problems.
We now supply the 300 RCR2.
The Raw 3 watt run time on high is 15-20 mins.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Gnef,
Thanks for your reply. So is the bottom line that if you can afford the higher price of the 3W you should get the 3W? Other than price is there a reason to prefer the 1W over the 3W?

Ned

gnef said:

although, i am interested in the 'NS' version as well, dunkable, perhaps? same dimensions? any date? price?

also, i sent a pm and email to orb a while ago without a response. i was wondering as to the batteries currently used in the orb? are they 350 still like the site says, or have you switched to 300 for reliability and since that is what AW sells? and with the 300, what is the expected run time on high?

gnef

Enlightened
it really depends on your usage. if you are using it with easy access to a charger and extra recharables, want the brightness, and can afford it, then get the 3W raw. If you will not have the luxury of being able to recharge your cells easily - if you are on a business trip, vacation, camping trip, hiking, etc. then you will probably want the 1W raw for the extended run time and greater brightness with primary cells since that will most likely be what you are taking along. also, if you ever plan on giving this to anyone else who is not a flashaholic and thinks that recharging a battery for every 15-20 minutes of use is ricidulous, then you would probably want to get the 1W raw for them. (i am not saying that it is ridiculous, but it would seem that way to outsiders.

just so you know though, i don't have either of these, but i've been thinking about it for quite some time, as you may have guessed... although, this NS may have me waiting since one of the things that caused me to hesitate was the lack of any water resistance.

i hope this helps!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ned-L said:
Gnef,
Thanks for your reply. So is the bottom line that if you can afford the higher price of the 3W you should get the 3W? Other than price is there a reason to prefer the 1W over the 3W?

Ned

I ordered a 1W raw because I wanted the brightest light on N cells (not rechargeables, just regular Ns) ... and assuming I understood things right, on regular Ns, the 1W is brighter than the 3W.

Joe

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
Some illustration may help with the questions, the most frequent of which regard what the output of a "1 Watt" ORB RAW is with a disposable CR2 battery in it (about 46 lumens on HIGH) versus that of a "3 Watt" ORB RAW with a disposable CR2 battery in it (about 20 lumens on HIGH).(6)

ORB Raw $39, "1 Watt" Version, RWAH Bin LED.
rbin.jpg

ORB Raw "3 Watt" Version, U Bin Shown (2).
ubin.jpg

(1) Approximate value based on 80% reduction in output seen in LED museum's review when using a disposable CR2. (2) Based on median output of T BIN Luxeon III (at lumileds.com,) the T BIN Luxeon III ("3 Watt") ORB RAWs probably emit about 77 lumens on high and about 8 lumens on low. (3) Approximate value based on median output of U BIN Luxeon III (at lumileds.com), and manufacturer's rating. (4) Approximate value based on 90% reduction in output seen in cones-stuff.co.uk's review when comparing high vs. low switch settings, et al. (5) Approximate value based on median output of R BIN Luxeon I (at lumileds.com), and manufacturer's rating. (6) The best explanation for this is doubtless the different voltge ratings between the "1 watt" and "3 watt" LEDs combined with the different wattages drawn. NOTE: A four-character Bin code ending in "H" is rated for a forward voltage of 3.03V to 3.27V, while one ending in "K" is rated for 3.51V to 3.75V. NOTE: These illustrations assume a two-stage switch is installed, with a "high" and a "low" setting; where one is not installed, assume the values associated with the unrestricted "high" setting only.

As time goes by, it becomes increasingly clear that I consume far too much expresso, resulting in insomnia, which results in things like this. :drool:

However, as my insomnia occurs after nightfall, I am comforted by any number of fabulous flashlights. :naughty:

Ned-L

Enlightened
Lightlust, thanks for the great explanation and illustration of the differences in output between the Orb RAW 1W and 3W lights. Very nicely done! I was wondering, is there enough information known about the Son of RAW to guestimate its output levels?