3D Mag Mod

dyyys1

Enlightened
I have an old 3D mag that I haven't used much since I got my A2. I have been thinking about modding it to make it useful again, but I'm not sure which direction to go. Mag85? Roar of the Pelican? There are lots of mag mods, and I don't know which one to pick. Basically, I would like something really bright and impressive. Obviously, low price is preferred, but not a requirement. Higher price just means it will be longer before I will have the money available to buy the parts. Thanks for your help!

dyyys1

Enlightened
Does everyone unanimously agree with Donshock? Not a single dissenting voice out of the 55 that have viewed thus far?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
The 3D mag works best with a mag85. Unless you want to try to venture into the 100 watt bulb catagory. The mag85 is a relatively easy thing to do, just change the bulb and batteries.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard the Mag85 many times here but what is it anyway? Can someone give me the complete specs of it?

I have a bare 3DMag host and if I could turn it into a beast or something that would be great. Can someone help me?

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a fivemega battery holder that does 2x6 batteries in series, it will fit into a 3D light and then you will get over an hour runtime with the ROP on the high bulb. The ROP is much easier to built and will end up much cheaper than a mag85 built properly.

Robban

Enlightened
A Mag85 is the only custom I've built and I can't say that it dissapoints :) It's a very impressive light.

yazkaz: If you do a search for Mag85 using the search function that you can find at the top of the page you'll find numerous threads discussing the Mag85 and its parts.

Delvance

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
If you get a fivemega battery holder that does 2x6 batteries in series, it will fit into a 3D light and then you will get over an hour runtime with the ROP on the high bulb. The ROP is much easier to built and will end up much cheaper than a mag85 built properly.

It's going to be hard fitting 12 AAs into a 3D host that hasn't been bored. IMHO, a stock 3D is perfect for a M@g85 build. If you want to build a ROP, stick with 2C, 2D or 4D.

With building the M@g85, the difference between a topshelf build and an average build is quite large so try to get the best components available if you're chasing a bright light.

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
Alin10123 said:

Alin10123,
Why do you say this mod is easier and cheaper?
I thought they both needed a battery holder, lense replacement, reflector replacement and bulb replacement.
Am I overlooking something?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
For a mag85 ro be built "properly" you need to do a couple more things. The potted bulb that uses the stock mag switch has tons of resistence, so you get rid of that and put in a kiu bi pin socket. This means that you have to get a camless reflector and use shims to get the right focus.

So you can do the mag85 which with a potted bulb which is just like the ROP, or go all out and build a super bright low resistence light that is more complicated and more expensive. The choice is yours.

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that.
Yes, I was thinking potted bulb. Why can't you use a cammed reflector with a kiu bi pin or fivemega socket? I know a lot of people don't, but I thought that was just preference.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
ROP = Roar of the Pelican

I finally managed to make a Mag 85 and it is pretty sweet. I didn't make it a top shelf version though, stock switch and no pro-gold. It's not as bright as it could be, but I figure with the extra resistance the chance of an instaflash is lower. :)

I'm using Fivemega's dual function cammed reflector in the mod and that works because it still has the stock switch in it while using Fivemega's ceramic PR to bi-pin socket. I'm not 100% sure on this because I've never tried the KIU socket, but the cam part might prevent the head of the light from going all the way on because of the KIU switch and the set focused camless reflectors have a smaller hole that fits the WA1185 bulb through so there is less light loss through the hole in the reflector. I'm sure there's better explanations out there.

Latest posts