4000mAh 18650 in Fenix PD32 etc safe?

Bumble

Enlightened
any 18650 claiming to have 4000mah at this present time is basically a lie. 3400 is currently the highest capacity. so yes they should be safe.. but at a guess they are some "crap-fires" batteries or the likes of, and will probably seriously under-perform. if they say they are protected sometimes they are NOT !!. check the cells over + keep an eye on voltages with a volt-meter.

Bumble

Enlightened
Hi, i have made a quick edit to my post above which is some important safety info :). i havnt got any ****fire batteries personally but from what i have read about them they can be very inconsistent performing cells. and in fact some of these 4000 cells have underperformed a cell which has had 2200/2600 on the side of it !. the only way to find out properly is to charge/dis-charge them in something like a hobby charger to measure there capacity under different loads.

sspc

Newly Enlightened
You owe it to yourself to read a bit in the battery section so that you will at least know the safety precautions when using these batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As there is no such thing as a 4,000 mah 18650 at present, its a fake cell, and of unknown safety...so, no, don't use the fake cell.

IIRC, the PD32 can take 2 CR123 or one 18650.

The mah of the 18650 doesn't change anything about the safety, or the performance of the light as far as output, stress on the electronics, etc....its essentially just a larger gas tank, not more horse power, etc.

If you want the best mah, get 3,400 mah 18650's....but, get REAL cells, not cells from where you bought the fake one. Places and makers that will lie to you are, obviously, not trust worthy.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Jay T your unnecessarily harsh post has been deleted as has one reply and one reply edited to remove deleted quote. To paraphrase your post, you've been here seven years and still do not know what good manners are. - Norm

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah thanks, I figured as much. I just wanted to check because I have not bought non-primary's for a long long time. Also weirdly I have tried multiple times today to get to the CPF Marketplace to price up AW batteries but it just fails to reach the server. However, even if I do get to the site I would not order until I know I would receive the items. I made a specific topic for that though here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ls-to-UK-from-elsewhere-will-they-be-received

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
You owe it to yourself to read a bit in the battery section so that you will at least know the safety precautions when using these batteries.
I have read enough info online about lithium batteries and have been using them for years. This thread is more specifically about using that capacity, specifically in fenix flashlights. But it seems the manufacturer lies about the quality/capacity of their cells so I would not even bother any way. I was recommended to get Keeppower cells, so when I am in the position to switch from RCR123 to 18650 I will go that route instead. I would take reliability over fake capacity/bad brand any day.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have read enough info online about lithium batteries and have been using them for years. This thread is more specifically about using that capacity, specifically in fenix flashlights. But it seems the manufacturer lies about the quality/capacity of their cells so I would not even bother any way. I was recommended to get Keeppower cells, so when I am in the position to switch from RCR123 to 18650 I will go that route instead. I would take reliability over fake capacity/bad brand any day.

If the light (Whatever make) works with 18650's, the capacity (mah) will not change whether it works or not. Some 3400 mah 18650's are fatter or longer, and fit fewer lights due to the size, but many of them are the same size as the 3100's, etc.

The best deal at present I'm aware of is Fastech, where you can get TWO 3400 mah 18650's for about $17. These fit most stuff, but are a hair larger than the Eagletac 3400 mah 18650's, which fit into everything.

KILLER_K

Newly Enlightened
IThe best deal at present I'm aware of is Fastech, where you can get TWO 3400 mah 18650's for about $17. These fit most stuff, but are a hair larger than the Eagletac 3400 mah 18650's, which fit into everything.

Wasn't those the unprotected NCR18650A ones though? If I was going to buy any right now it would be the NCR18650B protected version of the battery.

sspc

Newly Enlightened
I'm with you. It's a shame that manufacturers can claim stuff on their labels that aren't true. From what I understand very few (if any) rcr123s with accurate stated capacity. 18650s are a bit better on their claims (excluding much of the *fire batts) and it's favorite form because of greater capacity and the ability to use in some of the pocket friendly single cell lights.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Wasn't those the unprotected NCR18650A ones though? If I was going to buy any right now it would be the NCR18650B protected version of the battery.

They have BOTH protected and unprotected at Fastech.

I get the protected.

:D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm with you. It's a shame that manufacturers can claim stuff on their labels that aren't true. From what I understand very few (if any) rcr123s with accurate stated capacity. 18650s are a bit better on their claims (excluding much of the *fire batts) and it's favorite form because of greater capacity and the ability to use in some of the pocket friendly single cell lights.

I think they either lie out right, as in the ones where whatever the competition has, theirs is more....or, they test the run time with very very low draw, perhaps parasitic losses.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they either lie out right, as in the ones where whatever the competition has, theirs is more....or, they test the run time with very very low draw, perhaps parasitic losses.

Perhaps they base it on how they make them and what their numbers say it "should" be.. ?