4AA light that uses PR base bulb

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a 4AA light that uses PR base bulbs preferably with an OP reflector.Not really interested in the cheap dimestore lights I need something better quality.Searching has turned up the Responder(Bright Star/Koehler) and the Propolymer Xenon(Streamlight) but I think they both have smooth reflectors.Also I would like to stay under $30.Any ideas?

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a TEC 40 at a sporting goods store today.Very nice, definately the quality I was looking for.Replaced the original bulb with a Magnum Star 3 cell xenon and this inexpensive light is bright.I don't have a light meter but it seems as bright or brighter than my G2.I haven't had it outside so I don't know about the throw yet.
Not barn burning performance of course but for a $20 light using an inexpensive bulb that can be found at most hardware stores I am pleased.I'll have to see how much abuse the 3 cell bulb can take but it looks like an order to BrightGuy
is in the near future.:whistle::D

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you'd occasionally find a Dorcy Boss with a faceted reflector. I always loved the stumpy body.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you'd occasionally find a Dorcy Boss with a faceted reflector. I always loved the stumpy body.

Actually I already have a Dorcy Boss but it is not up to the quality standards of the TEC 40 IMO.Of course after seeing your post I had to try it out ! I think the Dorcy was brighter than the TEC 40 but after being switched on a few times the 3 cell Magnum Star Xenon went:poof:.The bulb is still fine in the TEC 40 and it has been switched on/off many more times than the Dorcy was:thinking:.

I used new ROV AAs from the same multi-pack in the interest of keeping things equal so the batteries should not have made a difference.Maybe there is less resistance within the Dorcy allowing more power than the bulb could handle.When I get some more 3-cell MS Xenons I may try again and see if the results are the same.

The Dorcy Boss works very well overdriving a 3-cell Krypton bulb.About as bright as the TEC 40 with the 3-cell Xenon.If you want a bargain light this is probably the way to go.Keep in mind the Dorcy has more artifacts in the beam and doesn't seem to throw as well as the TEC 40 either.Both of these lights are great values IMHO but the TEC 40 best fits what I was looking for originally.