4Sevens Quark Series Review (unboxing, comparison shots, beamshots: inside, out)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note: I have done a bunch of updated outdoor beamshots in this thread here.

Hello Everyone,

I think most of you have heard of the recently unveiled line of lights, "Quarks" made by the recently dealer turned to manufacturer 4sevens.
This has probably been one of the most highly anticipated lights, but I'll list the specs of the lights I am reviewing:
the Quark AA, 123, 123^2. Also included was a AA^2 body tube.

specs are taken of 4sevens.com
Quark AA
  • Power: One AA Battery (0.9V~4.2V)
  • Output: Maximum - 90 lumens; Moonlight - 0.2 lumens
  • Runtime: Maximum - 1.2 hours; Moonlight - 10 days
  • Strobe: Strobe, S.O.S., and Beacon flash modes

Quark 123
  • Power: One CR123A Battery (0.9V~4.2V)
  • Output: Maximum - 170 lumens; Moonlight - 0.2 lumens
  • Runtime: Maximum - 0.8 hours; Moonlight - 15 days

Quark 123^2
  • Power: Two CR123A Batteries (3.0V~9.0V)
  • Output: Maximum - 190 lumens; Moonlight - 0.2 lumens
  • Runtime: Maximum - 1.8 hours; Moonlight - 30 days

More information can be found in the threads linked below.

These lights are from the passaround here. I am not keeping these lights, nor do I get any compensation besides the honor of reviewing these lights.

A Bit of Background:

The 47s manufacturer forum popped up on 4/7/09.. it can be found here.
The "Quark" name was released a while after that in a "accidental" (haha) post here.
There are quite a few "Design Philosphies" in the 47s manufacturer forum, please visit it for more information.

The lights are built to fulfill David Chow's dream of making the best light ever.
We shall see how he does........

unboxing!
_MG_7078-800.jpg

_MG_7079-800.jpg

_MG_7080-800.jpg

my attempt at a 47s shrine..
_MG_7084-800.jpg

Quark AA with the AA^2 body
_MG_7085-800.jpg

Quark123
_MG_7086-800.jpg

Quark123^2
_MG_7087-800.jpg

Group Shot!
_MG_7088-800.jpg

The boxes have a soft-ish feel to to them on the outside.. first time I've experienced this with a flashlight box!
very classy, high quality look!

_MG_7095-800.jpg

Easy, snap apart plastic housing.. nice.

Contents of the Quark AA Box:
_MG_7113-800.jpg

Quark 123 Box:
_MG_7114-800.jpg

Quark 123^2 Box:
_MG_7116-800.jpg

Each box has Batteries, 2 Orings, a lanyard, a "4sevens Finger Grip", a holster, and of course.. the Light.

_MG_7101-800.jpg

_MG_7102-800.jpg

_MG_7172-800.jpg

_MG_7174-800.jpg

A comparison shot with a few similar sized lights:
_MG_7133-800-800.jpg

_MG_7171-800.jpg

A few comparison Beamshots:
From the Left to right: AA, 123, 123^2
_MG_7152-400.jpg
_MG_7153-400.jpg

_MG_7154-400.jpg
_MG_7155-400.jpg

_MG_7156-400.jpg

Left to right: AA, Nitecore EZAA V2, nitecore EZAA Warm
_MG_7162-400.jpg
_MG_7163-400.jpg

_MG_7164-400.jpg
_MG_7165-400.jpg

_MG_7166-400.jpg

Potential Flaws:
The Quark AA's lasering seems not as well done as the other ones.. here are some extreme closeups.. done with a magnifying glass... the pics were hard to do.. don't blame me.
IMG_1879-800.jpg

IMG_1880-800.jpg

First Impressions:

General: When the lights are started in the 0.23 Lumen super low mode, they appear to flash at a higher brightness for the first few miliseconds. this happened on all the lights., The back rubber tailcap boot was initially flat, but as I used it, the tailcap became slightly deformed....hmm. Also, the clicky is rather hard to activate.

QuarkAA:
This light feels pretty big for an AA sized light.. I think I've been using the EZAA too much.. It fits comfortably in my hand though.

Quark123:
I think this light maybe a little too small, also, there are some big problems I don't like... The clip is under tension, and normally, I would say that it is a good thing, but because of its placement, once you remove the battery tube, the clip moves into the area where the tube used to be, making reattachment extremely hard. also, loosening the head is very hard with the clip in the way.

Quark123^2:
I like this sized light.. it fits very well in my hand.
review and more pics to come soon. :thumbsup:

Runtimes:

Quark123:
(I meant MAX)
runtimequark123new.jpg

QuarkAA:
runtimequarkAAeneloop-1.jpg

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 47s Quark Unboxing

The AA^2 uses the same electronics as the AA.

in the passaround, 47s only included a battery tube for the AA^2

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

You get two demerits for having the boxes in focus whereas the pics of the actual flashlights appear to be out of focus or maybe just a touch of camera shake due to the low lighting.

The quality of the photos must match that of the flashlights! You're young, you should have good vision to take better pics. And if time is an issue why are you shooting pictures of a brown cardboard shipping box? :devil:

Your probably going to use the excuse that its a bright sunny day right now to not have any outdoor night time beam shots too aren't you? :nana:

You could be forgiven if you come over with all those lights and a Pizza for lumens testing party. :party:
(Is the pizza ready yet?)

ninjaboigt

Enlightened

i got a question, in the 5th picture ( the first picture with a flashlight in it ) why does the bezel look diffrent? am i missing something here?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do they have the 2xAA battery tube available for sale yet? I should have ordered one with my Quark 1xAA when I ordered that.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

You get two demerits for having the boxes in focus whereas the pics of the actual flashlights appear to be out of focus or maybe just a touch of camera shake due to the low lighting.

The quality of the photos must match that of the flashlights! You're young, you should have good vision to take better pics. And if time is an issue why are you shooting pictures of a brown cardboard shipping box? :devil:

Your probably going to use the excuse that its a bright sunny day right now to not have any outdoor night time beam shots too aren't you? :nana:

You could be forgiven if you come over with all those lights and a Pizza for lumens testing party. :party:
(Is the pizza ready yet?)

OH SNAP.

ack!
must.. retake... pics!!!

aww.. I wish I could come over right now..that'd be nice.. I'd need a ride though.. haha.

uh... my excuse is that I pointed the lights at my face.. and messed up my vision!
yeah.. that..

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking forward to the reviews on these.

Dumb question time: What are the finger grips for (besides gripping something :D)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

The last group shot looks pretty much in focus, but seeing the pictures DHart posted in the past I know that a significant improvement is still possible.

Not the ugliest looking black lights for sure. Something as boring as a ruler or a coke can would have made a nice size comparison.

I think there was another unboxing photo shoot thread; it seems everyone wants to increase the drama. I think it was Nitecore that started transitioning new light introductions into mini soap operas here on CPF.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

The last group shot looks pretty much in focus, but seeing the pictures DHart posted in the past I know that a significant improvement is still possible.

Not the ugliest looking black lights for sure. Something as boring as a ruler or a coke can would have made a nice size comparison.
Hey.. I'm just a high school kid. :mecry:He owns a photography studio. :eek:

anyways.. 2nd request being accomplished.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking forward to the reviews on these.

Dumb question time: What are the finger grips for (besides gripping something :D)
I think you put those two holes at the end around the two ends of the lights... then you can slide your hand through the rest of the grip, and hold it like a camcorder so you can still use your fingers.

That is pretty interesting!

They made a clip, a lanyard hole, supplied the lanyard, supplied a holster, AND developed (or copied from camcorders) a new carry method. This is impressive.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey.. I'm just a high school kid. :mecry:He owns a photography studio. :eek:

anyways.. 2nd request being accomplished.
I saw a USB microscope on a deal of the day website the other day and was wondering how good it would be for showing anodizing.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

no idea... I'm in debt right now from the solarforce review.. still need to pay him...lol.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

They made a clip, a lanyard hole, supplied the lanyard, supplied a holster, AND developed (or copied from camcorders) a new carry method. This is impressive.

We were using shock corded 6Ps 15 years ago (to facilitate things like handgun reloading, tap-rack, etc), wrapping the cord around the back of our hands like a camcorder grip. Certainly not a new carry method. Perhaps a refined implementation.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

We were using shock corded 6Ps 15 years ago (to facilitate things like handgun reloading, tap-rack, etc), wrapping the cord around the back of our hands like a camcorder grip. Certainly not a new carry method. Perhaps a refined implementation.

I still use the shock cord palm lanyards on most of my lights, even non SF's. ICON comes with a palm/wrist lanyard.

Bill

JJV

Newly Enlightened
Re: Review: 4Sevens Quark Series (unboxing, comparison shots)

Just got mine today. I ordered the 123; the front of the box said 123, but the back said AA and that's what was in the box. I'd be curious if anyone else has the same experience.

Overall a really nice package though. Still getting to know it.