600S not fitting into L4

Led-Ed

Enlightened
My new L4 just came in and the good news is that I was a winner in the Luxeon lottery. Perfectly white !
The bad news is that my Pila 600S batts don't fit all the way in!
Has any one else ran into this? The battery fits just fine in my old E2E but not on the new body. There seems to be a taper at the tailcap end which is preventing it from sliding in the last 1/4" or so.Bummer !
Can I charge the protected Li-Ion 123s in my Pila charger? If so that will be an option at the expense of runtime since the L4 can only use 1.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem with the new Pila 600s. The old Pila 168s fits in perfectly in the L4. I believe the problem is that the new 600s have a high capacity and are slightly larger than the old 168s. Others have complained and I think than Jon at JSBurley has brought this problem to the attention of the Pila folks.

I would suggest AW's new protected 17670's. They fit in my L4 and all my other Surefires.

This is one of the reasons that I have moved away from using Pila products and into AW's products.

Warleader

Newly Enlightened
I use AW's 17670 cells in a 3 L4s that I own and they fit and work perfectly.

The only exception I've had to this is I have one L4 body that seems to have the same problem you have . . . . . that is there seems to be a slight taper that prevents the 17670 from sliding all the way in. I've tried different 17670s that work in other L4s I own, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the cells. I wonder if this is an aberation with some L4 bodies? Can anyone else shed some light (no pun intended) on this?

One solution I might recommend is to swap the body out with either an 1x18650 body created by Tranquility Base or an 2x123 Aleph body available at the Sandwich Shoppe.

The 2x123 Aleph body accepts the 17670 with no problems and had outstanding fit and finish. I run a Surefire KL4 head on a 2x123 flared Aleph body with a Ti McClicky tailcap. I use AWs 17670 protected cell (new cell design with button top) and it works perfectly without using little magnets to make contact.

The 18650 body from CPF's own Tranquility Base is also outstanding and accepts the 2200mah protected cell from AW. I use this with both the KL4 and KL5 (KL5 needs "E to C" adapter). I use a Z57 tailcap on both. The 18650 may require little magnets to make contact, but AW will send you some with an order.

. . . . and now a cheer to the makers/suppliers of this great stuff! Both Tranquility Base and Don, aka McGizmo, are master craftsmen. Their stuff is first rate! They are both more creative and skillful than mere mortals have a right to be. AW has great batterys and international shipping so fast, it will boggle the mind.

I hope this is helpful.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run into the same problem.

The new personal light bodies, of E2e, L4, etc. with the rounded sides, are bored 0.2 mm smaller from Surefire.
I suppose they did it to have a better fit - and avoid excessive battery rattle.
Only the old Pila cells are fitting in those bodies: the new 600S and the batteries from AW are not allowed in.
I developed a system to bore the new bodies without a lathe, simply using a vice and a drill with a stone bit and a wire brush bit for mirror finishing. It takes a while but it is worth the effort.
The only drawback is losing the chemcoating inside. I will never run a personal light on primaries ANYMORE!
Specially we are now waiting the third run of E2e adapters for Li-Ions from Fivemega.

Regards

Anthony

Led-Ed

Enlightened
Well, the responses are very helpful and enlightening.I really don't want to mod this light by boring it out for fear of voiding my warranty.After spending this much money for a light my wife will balk at me buying another body for it.For now I'll just use primaries in it .At least i'm not alone with this problem.
Thanks

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have a link for ordering the 18650 body from Tranquility Base? Thanks!!

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
This problem existed but was fixed. I guess some slipped throught the cracks.

I will replace any cells that do not fit.

Thanks
Jon

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I would put the KL4 head on my E2E body except that there is already a KL4 on that body which I am using with the 600S batteries for work.The 600S batts work great with that combo,which I use alot,and am very satisfied with.
The new L4 was for home use. The L4 can only be loaded from the head end ,and the "fat" 600S bats if put in backwards go in about the same amount-so the real problem IMO is the end of the SF barrel is narrow.I looked into the barrel with a light and you can see where the bore size changes right near the tailcap end. Why they would do that is beyond me....I couldn't get a good pic of it.

faucon

Enlightened
I use a KL4 head with a Vital Gear FB2 body. My 600s batts fit quite well---they were a little snug at first if inserted via the tailcap end but no problem if inserted at the head. Now they fit whichever end I insert them from---not sure why they are easier to insert after being used for a month or two. But the FB2 body seems to work well.