742 Torch Lumens! Most beautiful runtime curve. NEOFAB Legion II MC-E review added

Status
Not open for further replies.

collector

Newly Enlightened
Re: Legion II, the MCE light Pics&comp with M1X

That is exactly the way these are layed out. No holder at all. Just 3 locations in the tube. Very high quality.
Cool!

btw, why the preference for 7075 instead of 6061 which is mostly used here ?

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Re: NEOFAB Legion II, the powerful MC-E light &COMP with M1X, pic heavy!

Neo, here I reply to your latest PM as your PM inbox is currently full....

Storm: my typo, 690Lumens. I'll stay tuned for his review, yet I'm looking for something performing 900-1000Lumens that will not be limited to bare throw. A kind of medium spot.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Have you tried this with a SSC-P7?
If so, how does the beam compare?
Would it increase or decrease the "donut"?

neoseikan

Enlightened

The first sample has cleared custom yesterday, but no updates yet.
I hope to see the real torch lumens from it.

We are preparing for the second sample. In this one, the tube can be removed and all parts on the control ring can be replaced by yourself, such as the Teflon ring or the spring. You can also clean the dirts in the control ring.

This structure will be used in new Spartanian II too, if we make sure it will be safe for the chips. Under this structure, we can remove the tube of Spartanian II, and install a 18650 tube!

Armed_Forces

Enlightened

legion2_show_07.jpg

I was really looking forward to this light but that blue tint and the donut?/dark spot in the middle is really bumming me out.

Do you plan on making any changes or is this picture representative of what the beam quality will look like in the final RTM version?

neoseikan

Enlightened

(pics moved)

I was really looking forward to this light but that blue tint and the donut?/dark spot in the middle is really bumming me out.

Do you plan on making any changes or is this picture representative of what the beam quality will look like in the final RTM version?

Hi. Almost the same. but we also have OP reflectors to get rid of it.
It's not difficult at all to add texture in a SMO reflector.
And you can choose your favorite MC-E bin if we can order it.

Last edited:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened

Thanks,
I'm looking forward to seeing the final product and the options. :)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Neo I think it would be nice for people to see comparison using OP reflector like the M1X.
That said shinning at short distance on a white back drop enhances the doughnut IMO I wonder if it will be that noticeable in real use that much.:shrug:

Also will the 18650 tubes for V2 S2 be compatible with V1 S2?,I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't :)

wbp

Enlightened

That green tint from the M1X is bumming me out...:tinfoil:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened

That green tint from the M1X is bumming me out...:tinfoil:

Perfectly said! touché :crackup:

I have used flashlights all of my life and never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought I would utter such a ridiculous thing as I just posted above! :caution:

I haven't even seen the bloody thing in real life, yet here I am scrutinizing that photo like I'm looking for monuments on the surface of Mars.

This place is HORRIBLE! "flashaholic" indeed. I used to laugh my *** off at that. :tinfoil:

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

Hi. Almost the same. but we also have OP reflectors to get rid of it.
It's not difficult at all to add texture in a SMO reflector.
And you can choose your favorite MC-E bin if we can order it.

How about adding the OP layer to just the bottom 1/3-1/4 portion of the reflector? Alternatively, how about adding ripples to the bottom portion of the reflector - you know like some of the newer small P7/MC-E reflectors but without the OP texture?

neoseikan

Enlightened

How about adding the OP layer to just the bottom 1/3-1/4 portion of the reflector? Alternatively, how about adding ripples to the bottom portion of the reflector - you know like some of the newer small P7/MC-E reflectors but without the OP texture?

I am not sure but I am glad to try.
Some workshop even can not produce the reflector in Legion II. They said it's too deep and too thin to be machined well.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Remember Neo is not offering guaranteed tint in these lights,if he were to do that I'm sure there is a premium to pay like everything else premium quality.

neoseikan

Enlightened

Remember Neo is not offering guaranteed tint in these lights,if he were to do that I'm sure there is a premium to pay like everything else premium quality.

Thanks.
In fact, It's hard for me to offer guaranteed tint because I can not tell which tint is "better", except for "natural white (warm)".

Armed_Forces

Enlightened

Great suggestion Chaos!

I have an Ti Olight Infinitum that has the style of reflector you suggested and it is one of the nicest Cree beams I have seen. It eliminates the Cree ring while creating an amazingly tight hotspot that makes for one hell of a throw. The fact that it has a beautiful "white" tinted R2 WD emitter is just icing on the cake. Unfortunately it has now "raised the bar" for future purchases!

..and speaking of interesting reflector developments, check THIS thread out!

"Dereelight DBS V3's with Special Orange Peel Reflector... very nice smooth beam, and the same lux readings as the smooth reflector! "

I was so intrigued that I had to order one! :devil: :tinfoil:

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

4x and 5x tint bins for neutral are all very nice tints for the MC-E. :D

I'd also like to see some playing with stippling only a part of the reflector. It is more expensive to produce a hybrid reflector... but if it works to get nicer throw without a doughnut hole I'm willing to pay for it. The thing is I don't know if it will work for an MC-E or not. I'm also not sure if stippling the part closest to the LED or the part furthest from the LED will work better for getting rid of the doughnut. If you have the resources and the time please do look into it. A final thing that you may look into is faceting a reflector. Faceted reflectors have been used for a long time to smooth out incan lamps and still provide decent throw.

I'm sitting back and looking at all of the new MC-E lights coming out. In the end I'll buy the one that best suits my needs. The Legion II appears to be great for my wants with battery and UI. A good tint, moderate throw, and clean beam will be the big deciders though. I'm still waiting on reviews for a couple of the other MC-E lights that will be out on the market soon.

easilyled

Flashaholic

It may also be just a case of altering the reflector shape a bit to eliminate
the donut.

Maybe the curvature of the parabola can be optimised without needing to
alter the head.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally think that if a major change were to be undertaken at this late stage in the game, it would be better to look into optics. Using a lens it might be more possible to reduce the amount of light escaping as spill beam and instead concentrate that into the spot more. Even if you lost a little of the overall lumen count, I believe the number would be more meaningful because it would yeild a more concentrated useful beam designed for throw. I know I have run across some 10 degree optics designed for the MC-E but it would be nice to find something a little more 5-6 degree-ish. I'd love to see the 10 compared to the existing reflector though. This reflector seems to include a large amount of spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.