$9.99 CREE P4 AA @ DX, alum. ref, steel body, plas len

Scattergun

Enlightened
I just happened to order a 9Volt lampassembly for my Surefire and ordered the wrong one. I ordered the one for the cheap Tassa or whatever the name was... wich coincidentally has a reflector with 23mm OD. And the g&P lamp is removable from the reflector... wonder what might happen if I fitted this reflector to the Elly?
One had to shorten the reflectorhousing somewhat since this reflector is shorter than the original, but it would give a little more flood.... and its orangepeel:naughty:

Maybe a Seoul would be more forgiving on the reflectordesign?

Last edited:

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
Anyone from Canada every order from Kai's? His order page has the 'state' dropdown hardcoded for US states. No 'other' option for non USA residents. There is a Country text field but no place to put a province.

I don't want to order and have it get lost in the mail. How do non USA residents order?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrsinbad said:
Is the body stainless steel or is it plain steel that will rust?
The weight is only a couple grams heavier than the stock Elly (easily explained by the Aluminum reflector vs plastic). The stock Elly is just fairly thick aluminum compared to most flashlights, not steel. This is easy to test as Aluminum is not magnetic, while anything containing iron is.

IdiotsAbound

Newly Enlightened
KevinCK said:
Anyone from Canada every order from Kai's? His order page has the 'state' dropdown hardcoded for US states. No 'other' option for non USA residents. There is a Country text field but no place to put a province.

I don't want to order and have it get lost in the mail. How do non USA residents order?

I ordered some stuff last week from Kai. I selected Canada from the drop down and putting Ontario in the "State" field.

Kai attended University of BC, so he definitely knows where Canada is lol.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Hi, I'm new here.
Does anybody have a close picture of the circuit board or does somebody know if it is possible to mod the circuit to use 2 AAs?
By the way is the DX light focusable?

Thanks

gilles44

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I'am interested in buying this little light (DX CREE P4)
Has somebody really tried it ?
How is the beam, spot or flood ?
How does it compare to fenix lights ?

Thanks.

Gilles

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
gilles44 said:
Hello,
I'am interested in buying this little light (DX CREE P4)
Has somebody really tried it ?
How is the beam, spot or flood ?
How does it compare to fenix lights ?

Thanks.

Gilles

Check out the beamshots at www.kaidomain.com. And it's supposed to be focusable. For 10 bucks, you can't go wrong.

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
I think we're all waiting for our orders to be delivered. Kai pretty much always stated he was going to ship on March 20. DX seemed to have stuff in stock but most people seem to find their order still 'processing'. DX also says they'll ship on the 20th now.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
I just tried to order two from Kai. I get a message from PayPal:

"This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

Anyone know what the deal is?

tesseract

Newly Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
This is easy to test as Aluminum is not magnetic, while anything containing iron is.

Many stainless steels are non-magnetic. Weight is a better way to distinguish between aluminum and stainless (if you've handled both metals before, it should be pretty obvious).

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
According to the dealextreme account page, mine just shipped.

The Dealextremem version of the 9.99 Cree just shipped for me. Ordered on march 12th. Been at the stage of "Ready to package, your next notice will be a shipping notice" since the 15th. Now it says shipped via airmail as of the 21st. 4 to 7 business days by Air Mail

Another post in the forum has someone saying the Kai version is delayed and won't ship until the 27th.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Lorsunds from DX shipped the 19th and the glass lenses from KD shipped yesterday.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
well i just ordered mine too. i ordered the $10 cree from kia last week and the dx $10 cree just five min ago. we'll see which one we all like better. i have a feeling that one will be a clear winner and like 80% of us will agree on which one is the better of the two.

lexina

Enlightened
got an email from DX that my Cree shipped yesterday. no news from Kaidomain yet.

DNova

Newly Enlightened
jasonsmaglites said:
well i just ordered mine too. i ordered the $10 cree from kia last week and the dx $10 cree just five min ago. we'll see which one we all like better. i have a feeling that one will be a clear winner and like 80% of us will agree on which one is the better of the two.
I only ordered the one from DX so I'm really hoping it's that one :ohgeez:

:popcorn:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
DNova said:
I only ordered the one from DX so I'm really hoping it's that one :ohgeez:

:popcorn:
I believe the DX light will be a clear winner -- fact of the matter is it's a lot easier to buy a separate glass lens and improved O-Rings after the fact than a custom aluminum reflector (although it's probably almost cheaper to just buy equal numbers of both the lights from Kai and DX, and assemble one set that's the best of both worlds, and another set for gifts :D)

johnny13oi

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
I believe the DX light will be a clear winner -- fact of the matter is it's a lot easier to buy a separate glass lens and improved O-Rings after the fact than a custom aluminum reflector (although it's probably almost cheaper to just buy equal numbers of both the lights from Kai and DX, and assemble one set that's the best of both worlds, and another set for gifts :D)

I too believe that the DX one will be much better with the aluminum reflector. The Kaidomain one just has a glass lense and the LED seems to be off center.

Latest posts