SI 1W Luxeon saves ICU patient

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a slight exaggeration maybe. The true story is that I have a close friend who is a medical ICU nurse, and who has benefited from my flashlight evangelism by way of several lights, including the above mentioned Sharper Image Luxeon, a CPF Orb with UYOJ, and a RYOJ/Madmax Lite sandwich for her Minimag AA. Anyway, her first LED light, the SI 1xCR123 LuxI was the hero the other night. One of the ICU patients started bleeding from a leg wound and the surgical residents felt the need to gain immediate control of the problem instead of waiting to get the patient down to the OR. Lighting in the ICU room is not directable, so they were having an assistant shine a generic 2D flashlight onto the wound. As is typical, the batteries were not strong and neither was the light. Out of my friend's purse comes the SI Luxeon, and the minor procedure was quickly completed to the oohs and aahs of the ICU staff. I think she impressed a lot of people with her little EDC that night. Imagine what the response would have been to the U bin Orb.....

Last edited:

X33

Enlightened
Great EDC story. Slowly I start thinking maybe we should have a seperate EDC story section??

Pila_Power

Enlightened
You know wht?? I reckon that's a bonza idea mate! CRIKEY!!! Why didn't someone think of that before??

Besides, who DOESN'T like a good story? :D

MODS: Maybe it's time...

ICUDoc

Enlightened
wasBlinded,

Nice story!
The lights in our ICU are pretty reliable (online UPS and all that) so the truth is that for me to EDC anything is a bit silly(although for miniprocedures they can obviously be very helpful!).
Nonetheless I usually carry something, and rotate my lights turn-about, so this week I have tested pupillary responses with a Photon Freedom, an ARC-AAA, and a modified Longbow Micra (U-bin!!!).
In case you are worried, yes I do avoid hotspot illumination of the retina!!!

BTW imagine my excitement when one of our Plastics reg's pulled out an HDS last week!!!!!!!!!

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICUDoc said:
BTW imagine my excitement when one of our Plastics reg's pulled out an HDS last week!!!!!!!!!

Hmm. Not seen that level of EDC sophistication at my hospital yet. My friend did previously get a lot of mileage out of her CPF Orb by challenging her coworkers and attending physicians to figure out how to turn it on. Few succeeded!

X33

Enlightened
Yep, giving a non MM light to the uninitiated usually results in some comical twists and turns whilst they try to figure out how to switch the damn thing on.... ;)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasBlinded said:
Imagine what the response would have been to the U bin Orb.....

"HEY! You folks hurry up, this thing is getting real hot and hard to hold!!" :D

Just kidding.. thanks for the great story. It's always wonderful to hear when a light makes a difference, and this would definitely count as one of the more dramatic stories.

And to see a HDS (or any ultra high end light for that matter) out in the field - I'd have to stop what I was doing and ask the guy "Where'd you get that?!"

Latest posts