Zebralight SC52d L2 - Philips LUXEON T

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a GREAT light if you want AA Nimh capability. I love the light coming from my SC62d and expect no less from the SC52d. Another winner, in my book. Got a email notice from ZL today about it.

markr6

Flashaholic
Nice to see some positive activity from ZL recently. SC62d announced and shipped quick. SC62 and SC62w shipped pretty quick as well (if you don't count the speculation on this years ago). SC52d sort of came out of nowhere and should ship next week.

Next thing you know the Q50 will be available :D

bansuri

Enlightened
Everyone has different expectations and usage scenarios. I got a SC62d and it's fantastic for my simple life, love the tint and the output is more than I need. 3 hrs @ H1 320lumens? I'll never use it.
It's also not the light I'd want duct taped to my motorcycle if I lose my headlights so I guess I'll need to fill that void with something else.

I gave up flashoholism for a year and carried a cool SC52 exclusively, never let me down except for the awful tint, hopefully this will be a worthy successor. I am just a teeny bit worried about some of the QC issues CPF users have been reporting, but that's always been the case. I've been lucky on all of the Zebras I've owned.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC62d has been with me since I got it, and that was from a very early shipment. It's been 100% reliable. I have the SC62w now which is also super, but it's not become my EDC yet as the SC62d is just so nice and more than enough light for my EDC. I've been carrrying both most days just in case I want to compare them for some task. Today was the first day the the SC62w was carried without the 'd' because I had less pockets. I can be happy with either one, or both.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I have had no flickering problem on my SC62d in any mode. I have been carrying it all week to work. Oddly, I have been choosing it over the brighter SC62w. The battle is on. Great lights.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered it. I have an SC50 from way back in 2010 which has been a very good light, but I'm excited about the HCRI here. I do wish it were a Nichia... but I'm excited!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should be a pretty good light. If one used H1 sparingly the runtime and output is quite amazing for a single AA sized rechargable eneloop. The expected nice daylight tint also helps make this a very nice EDC and also great for non flashaholics with its AA power souce. Of course it would not replace my SC60/62 series for my personal EDC, but it still looks like a fantastic light.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was basically arguing the SC52d vs SC62d on runtimes alone, not battery type. Looking at that:

SC52d: 205 Lm (0.9 hrs)
SC62d: 320
Lm (3 hr)

Even on the SC62d, I find myself wanting more output, but it's OK 90% of the time. However, the 205lm for not even 1 hour is not enough for me. I know it depends on your own uses, but I would certainly be using this 205lm often, thus going thru batteries/recharging much too often.

Regarding the standard SC52 (but I use the SC52w), 184 Lm (1.7 hrs) is pretty good. I guess "Blast" or "Turbo" modes aside, <1hr runtimes scare me.

Does the SC52d step down from H1 when using AA or does it only step down when using li ion? I think the SC52d is a great addition to their line up although I really would like to see a SC32d. I consider these more of a back up light than a primary so the smaller the better. I don't expect super long runtimes out of a light this size, more for it's ability to carry unnoticed due to size/weight factor. I also enjoy the c & d series for their tint consistency, I know mark can appreciate that. I do wish however ZL would consider putting a magnet in the tail cap, it really is a convenient feature overlooked by most. Although I'm sure it would add length to the light it would be minimal.

bansuri

Enlightened
I expect this after I got my SC62d.
LOL, same here, now they got me for 2 lights! I might've held off on the 62d if this had come out first, but I'm glad I got it because it's amazing.

I think XM-L2 should be discarded for flashlight use.
I agree with you and add the XP-L to the list, same tint variation in an XP package.
I'm glad ZL hasn't moved to XM exclusively, that would be a sad day.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you and add the XP-L to the list, same tint variation in an XP package.
I'm glad ZL hasn't moved to XM exclusively, that would be a sad day.

I wouldn't say that the XM-L shouldn't be used for flashlights. For one, tint actually has gotten better on XM-L lights compared to a couple of years ago. Even if you compare my old SC52w with my new SC62w, you can see a HUGE improvement. Also, it is unmatched when it comes to brightness and efficiency. This alone makes the XM-L invaluable compared to lower power high CRI emitters such as the Phillips Luxeon and Nichia 219. Now if Nichia (or someone else) can come out with a high power emitter that beats the XM-L when it comes to tint (and other qualities), then you can say that the XM-L is obsolete.

Last edited:

Martin L

Newly Enlightened
I have finally made my EDC choice after reading comments/posts for months. I am waiting for shipping confirmation of the SC52d :eek:. I believe this has great potential! Below are my pre-thoughts about this light.

• ZL's has a great UI. Well... This will be my first ZL light so that is just what I have heard. I did also order the H52Fw the other day. We´ll see which one get in my hand first to confirm. You can pre select Lo, Mid, Hi (Mid with a disturbing pre flash, but hey, nothing is perfect…). Will probably make the press for long going through Lo reaching Mid to get rid of this defect…
  • The tint should be good, not far from the 219B, what I have seen on beam shots, and faaaar away from the normally XM-L's with yellow/green-ish different spread color from hot spot to spill... My preference is the MT-G2.
  • The size seems alright, but a little bit fat/bulky for my personal taste. We´ll see how it will feel in my EDC left front pocket... It will probably be a little too short to be comfortable in the hand as well. The 62 is better in this sense, but has a wider body.
  • The beam looks good. Maybe a good balance between flood and throw. I think it´s more fun with a smaller hot spot than the SC52c/w. I did not say more practical for close up tasks. The H52Fw will, if necessary, fill in the gap and become handy:naughty:.
  • Fully support of 14500!
  • Secure screw on clip (great!), but with a not so deep pocket design which will visualize the light more that I want, but will be easier to grab...
  • Run time OK. Not a SC62d, but hey just bring some spares right. I have 4 pcs of Sanyo 14500's on its way to me so it´s not a big deal. The size of this light will win over run time. I normally only use the turbo setting for short 5-10 seconds bursts anyway.
  • The output looks good for a high CRI. What the heck, I EDC an Olight i3S (ugly bluish tint) with 80 lumens on max that will end up as a pure back-up after receiving these lights (I hope). The i3S covers my EDC use to 95%. More lumens is just for fun and can be good to have some times, but most of all, it will make me think again if I really need a second brighter light with me. Tint prioritizes over lumens, having the SC52w in mind...
What have I missed? The format (size and AA/14500) and the Luxeon T (better throw) feels like a good match. Better than the 320 lm SC62d which I was soooo close to buy before this one came out, but never "grabbed me" in terms of output vs size . For me this particular d version of the SC52 family looks like a winner. I feel like a child around Christmas waiting for my first "Zebras" :eek:. I will report back, upon arrival plus some days to review, to see if I was right or wrong.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
  • The size seems alright, but a little bit fat/bulky for my personal taste. We´ll see how it will feel in my EDC left front pocket... It will probably be a little too short to be comfortable in the hand as well. The 62 is better in this sense, but has a wider body.

The SC52d and SC62d are the same thickness. 62 is basically the exact same body, just a little longer. I see the specs show it <1mm wider which I can't seem to notice at all.

I have the SC52w and SC62d, and would pick the 62 any day over the 52 if I had to choose just one. But I like having both. I think it just comes down to personal preference on battery type. I like having a much longer runtime with 18650s without having to carry and track spares; less bulk overall. Plus the 205lm leaves me wanting much more. 320lm on the 62 is already at the bottom of what I want in a high mode.

See how you like the 52 then get the 62 later on!

Edit: I guess the tube WOULD have to me narrower on the 52...not sure what I was thinking :) I guess the head, being the same on both, is the lowest common denominator so the tube size doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited:

Martin L

Newly Enlightened
Markr6, I was mentioning the tube diam not the head. Yeah, the SC62 is a neat one taking 18650 for sure and I will perhaps buy one in the future. The burst mode of SC52d 300 lm vs SC62d 320 lm can´t be noticeable in real life. The battery life and the heat sink (which make the SC52 drop after one minute) are so different between these lights, I know. The small package has it´s down sides, but you will still have the same performance in a smaller package for one minute. I think this one will fit my needs as I mostly will run it on the lower settings most of the time. Let´s just hope I am pleased with the tint :rolleyes:

markr6

Flashaholic
Markr6, I was mentioning the tube diam not the head. Yeah, the SC62 is a neat one taking 18650 for sure and I will perhaps buy one in the future. The burst mode of SC52d 300 lm vs SC62d 320 lm can´t be noticeable in real life. The battery life and the heat sink (which make the SC52 drop after one minute) are so different between these lights, I know. The small package has it´s down sides, but you will still have the same performance in a smaller package for one minute. I think this one will fit my needs as I mostly will run it on the lower settings most of the time. Let´s just hope I am pleased with the tint :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I believe the tube is also the same. Exact same light, one is just a little longer. I only have the 62d with me right now so can't compare for sure.

While you may not notive 300lm vs 320lm, the 300lm mode KILLS a 14500 in no time. It can be very hard to resist using this :) Becasue of this, I find the battery unable to support the burst mode after a very short time. Whereas the 62d will go 3 hours...no burst or stepdown to worry about.

Sounds like you may be OK depending on your use like you said. I think you'll love the tint!

Martin L

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all replies. Markr6, please just take a look at your profile picture regarding the size of the lights. There is a difference of a couple of millimeters of the tube/end cap between the SC52/62... Can you please measure and give me the difference since you have both of the lights? This is not stated on ZL's home page. Yes, it will be interesting to see how long the 14500 will keep the light in burst mode, testing now and then under EDC conditions :confused:

Latest posts