• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A little help please..(FF2)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have recently decided I would like to have a Fire-Fly and I have an idea of the parts needed to purchase from the Shoppe. I am a little confused about the actual availability of the parts and I am curious if anyone has actually ordered the entire list of parts needed recently and if so were you satisfied with the results? From searching older posts this light seemed very hard to obtain and I am wondering if it is now just as easy to get one as simply ordering the parts. I just registered at the shoppe and I am gathering a list of items but before I proceed I would like to know if this entire light is still readily available. Also can anyone tell me what a wide open sandwich drop in is and how it differs from the others such as the NextGen 750 or other sandwiches shown to fit the FF2?
I am not so concerned with run time or heat issues as this light will be for limited use however I do like the idea of being able to swap sandwiches around if needed to do so....Anyway basically can anyone tell me if they have ordered and built a complete Fire-Fly recently and if so about how long did it take from order to the parts arriving?...Thanks for any help on this.

Robocop

Thanks for the link Cy....I am not really confused about what I want or what parts to use however I am confused about the light in general. When searching old threads I read that this light was in short supply and hard to get. Now it appears it is as simple as ordering the parts yourself and simply building the light. I am about to place my order and it shows to have everything in stock I need to have this light. The only thing missing is some of the sandwiches so I am deciding on which one to use from what the shoppe has in stock. I am not sure what the wide open sandwiches are?...can anyone tell me what current these wide open sandwiches run on a 123 cell and what is the advantage of a wide open sandwich? The shoppe shows these in stock for a FF2 and if these are decent I will go ahead and order now rather than waiting for the NextGen one to arrive.

simbad

Enlightened
As CY said above you have many options depends on the sandwich that you choose, I have a FF2 that recently had a problem with the stock BB650 and I fixed it with a Mad Max+ WO-TXOJ and I really like this sammie because of the color, especially in low mode where it keeps the same white beam,it´s not green at all.
The BB650 it´s nice and bright but at full power the heat can be an issue.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I easily put together a Fire~Fly from just ordering the parts at the Sandwich Shoppe. It has a severely cut reflector and runs a Wizard2 650 Sandwich.

Fire-Fly2U.jpg

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
haveblue,

I have a FF "on the way" I really like "reflectored" lights;
How did you "cut" your reflector (SO17XA?)

Thank You,

jeffb

Robocop

I am simply a little impatient and do not want to wait fot the NextGen boards so I am trying to use one of the boards they have in stock. I am not going to use the 2 level switch so I think my light should be pretty simple. Judging by what the shoppe shows to have in stock I think I am going to use the MM+ Wide open version. Simbad I plan on using the same sandwich you have and I wonder if you can tell me about what current to expect on a single 123 cell? I was not really able to find much information on a search. Thanks for all the imput on this.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a MM+ WO, you can expect something between 700 and 800mA on a fresh 123. The only downside to the MM is that it's not current regulated like the NexGen is. My first recommendation would be the NexGen. The MM+ would be my second recommendation, if for no other reason than heat, or the lack of it.

What I like about the MM+ is that it will just about suck a battery dry. It think it will run the battery down to under a volt. Just keep in mind that the level of light will dim as the battery drains, but the MM+ is less likely to leave you stuck with a VERY dim light without warning.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MM+ will draw from the battery ~1A. It will drive to the LED approx 700-800mA as Chop mentioned above and is dependant on the Vf of the LED.

I have partially assembled Nexgen Sandwiches, but, I probably won't get to them till this weekend.

Wayne

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noel- not going with the two-stage switch is a mistake in my opinion. With the switch, it's like two lights in one. The two-stage is an absolute must have!

Also, if you're not looking for a *flamethrower*- the MM Lite WO TXOJ is a bargain at $50. About 500mA draw on a fresh cell, *plenty* of nice, white light, runs cool, and lasts forever on a battery. Well suited for the alloy head and CR2 body as well. ( You will want both, it's just a matter of time) I initially thought I would never want a sammie with "lite" in the description, but after using one, I can tell you that this is an excellent choice.

Also, with a modded reflector, the FF~2 will likely have you leaving your Arc LS at home in short order. Properly configured and tuned, I think the FF~2 is the ultimate small EDC light.

Peter

Robocop

Peter my EDC now is the incredible TWOH ARC you modded for me. I really think this Fire Fly would have to go a long way to replace that little gem you built for me. I basically just "want" this light to feed my appetite however I will carry it often. The main reason is the ability to swap the sandwiches at random so I may purchase the MM plus now and get the NextGen when they arrive. Thanks for the help as I think the MM+ will be ok for now so I can go ahead with my order. The main reason I was staying away from the 2 stage switch was reliability issues from previously read threads. I guess I could try it and simply remove it if I did not like it. I have always preferred the keep it simple method of lighting with one level. I do however sometimes appreciate the softer level of a dimmer setting for reports in the patrol car where a bright light creates a wash out effect. The first time I tried to use your modded ARC for work inside my patrol car I was reminded that some lights can be just too bright..hehe

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noel, please PM me with your shipping address. I want to send you a package that I think will help you make an informed decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to send you a reflector modded copper head, a reflector modded alloy head, 123 and CR2 bodies with two-stage switches, and a couple of sammies to try out. This will show you most of the available options and help you to decide what works best for you. I think you will see that the FF~2 platform is in fact the best thing going in a "mini" EDC light.

Peter

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jeffb said:
I have a FF "on the way" I really like "reflectored" lights;
How did you "cut" your reflector (SO17XA?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a Dremel MiniMite...the battery power rotary tool. The MiniMite does not have enough speed to melt plastic if you use the low speed. About 15 to 20 minutes of cutting around the outside rim of the SO17XA refector until it is paper thin will fit the reflector in the FF. I gave the reflector a snug little push and it fit. With the battery powered Dremel I was even able to save some of the rim of the reflector so I knew when to stop pushing the cut reflector inside the FF. The finished reflector has a little warp on the rim from the plastic being cut thin but with the O ring in place you have to be looking for the warp to see it.

It was so easy I didn't ruin any reflectors!

Robocop

Thanks Peter and PM sent. I think I have most of what I need so far and will keep you all posted.

Robocop

Ok quick question...I plan on purchasing both the CR2 body as well as the 123 body. If I purchase a 2 stage switch will it work in both bodies? My plan would be to use the 123 cell body without a 2 stage switch and keep the switch for the CR2 body simply to conserve battery power on the smaller cell. It would be nice to know that I could swap the switch between the different bodies but at only 10 dollars it really may be better to buy 2 switches....anyway thanks for the help on this again.

simbad

Enlightened
That is a very good help from LitFuse, also you can read Aleph-FAQ/Read First from Kiessling thread #738296, there is a chart with all the info about the drivers.
I like the MM+ because of its performance but I would like to try the NGens anytime.

Robocop

Thanks Simbad...I never thought to look there. That was an incredible amount of testing involved by Kiessling and it was helpful. My order is ready and will be sent later today sometime. I got a few extra goodies to play with and should be happy for now. I even got every type of optic for this light (Fraen,NX-05 and reflector). The only thing I will have to order later will be the NextGen board and the aluminum head part. I like the better heat sinking of the copper however that aluminum just looks better to me. I have always liked the idea of a user friendly light as far as interchanging parts and this one looks to be just what I was looking for....thanks again for the link

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop - the FF2 2-stage switch will fit in both bodies, as it was designed with that in mind. I think it is really a useful addition to the light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robocop

Excellent...thanks for the answers. I keep adding to this order and it has became more costly with each day. I just realized the Shoppe now has the MJ LED in stock so I added a few of them....I am placing this order tonight or tomorrow and I am sure I will find a few items to add before then. I never really looked around this store very much but I am now a big fan of this Shoppe....they have a lot of cool stuff.....I have added several reflectors,resistors,a few extra optics,a couple of emitters to play with, and several other items to play with. This place reminds me of CountyComm as I keep finding it hard to actually finish my order....you always keep finding something else you want. I am looking forward to this light but I am just as excited about all the other goodies coming my way.

Robocop

I am so excited as my order has been sent and as you know some of us flashlight people can be a little impatient....I hate waiting for new toys. I have never ordered from the shoppe however I will not hesitate to do so again as they were very helpful. I do not know who Cindy is at the shoppe but she answered all of my e-mails quickly and assured me all my items were in stock....Very nice lady and very patient as I must have annoyed her on several times..hehe
Can anyone tell me if items are usually shipped out pretty quickly from the Shoppe?. I am going out of town soon and I paid for 2 day shipping to try and get my items before I leave but I do not think they were shipped yet....Once again a very classy place to do business with and thanks to all the members who helped me along with this as well.