A one and two celled flashlight in CR123A or AA?

Minibear453

Newly Enlightened
Sorry since it's a bit unclear, but I'm looking for a flashlight that can take one or two AAs, OR, another flashlight that can take one or two cr123as. Preferably AA though.

EDIT: Also, I'm looking for something around the $40 range. It'll need to be fairly durable, with a good throw, since it's for camping. Waterproof would be a plus, but not necessary. Run time would also need to be decent, since it is, once again, for camping. I really like the looks of the Eagletac. And with several different brightness levels. (Although I could care less about SOS and blinkity stuff).

Last edited:

Minibear453

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I looked around, and the Jetbeam MKI seems perfect, but apparently it's not being sold anymore? Also, the Fenix L1D and L2D look like they would work, but I can't find an extension for them.

AaronG

Enlightened
L1D was replaced by the LD10 and L2D with the LD20. The tubes trade across for the LD10 and LD20 but they changed the threads at one point. My LD10 R4 will fit my Dads LD20 R4 no problem. You probably won't find the tubes separate though.

The Solarforce L2M host will take 1 or 2 Cr123 cells if you can find a drop-in with the right voltage range for both setups.

Personally I find that in practice it's more useful to have two separate lights. I'd spend the money on a nice light, then later buy a different light

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...a SF C2 with an M30 and a battery spacer :0). Actually, if you can find an old E2L, it will run off 1, 2, or 3 CR123's (with the right body/spacer/etc.), or even RCR's.

Minibear453

Newly Enlightened
Alright. After some consideration, I think it's better for me just to go with AA, since CR123 batteries and chargers are kind of a hassle for me, it'd be easier just to get the more available AA batteries. However, it seems that there are essentially no flashlights that run on one and two cell?

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Does such a flashlight exist? I looked at the eagletac lineup, and I see the D25s, but I'm looking for a flashlight with an alternate tube so it can accept either one cell, or two cells, so then I can use it for camping, or just normal EDC. Also, I'm undecided between AA or CR123A, since I would like compact, but am a bit wary of buying the batteries, and charger, and all that good stuff. Anyone have any advice?

I know of some flashlights that can take either 1xCR123A or 2xAA, or 1xCR123A or 1xAA, but not one that accepts every combination that you're looking for. It would not be impossible to design such a flashlight, of course, but it is sort of difficult to optimize (for efficiency) miniaturized electronics for the wide voltage range that would be required, and probably not enough demand in the market to justify it.

Alright. After some consideration, I think it's better for me just to go with AA, since CR123 batteries and chargers are kind of a hassle for me, it'd be easier just to get the more available AA batteries. However, it seems that there are essentially no flashlights that run on one and two cell?

There are some that can. For example, the 4Sevens Quark series has a head that can run on 1xAA, 2xAA, and 1xCR123A with different battery tubes (buy one model and an additional body or two). It's a bit above your price range, but it's a good one.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight T10/T15. 1 Cr123 for the T10 and 1 AA for the T15. Same head/tail, bodies interchange. You might wanna stick with AA's unless you feel confident with lion batteries. Of course the cr123's are nice, but pricey over time unless prepared to buy bulk. AA Nimhs are easy to charge and use, along with easy to buy. And it will run a lion AA primary or alkaline as well.

I'd also look at Zebralight, Klarus, Sunwayman, Fenix, 4/7s etc. All have excellent AA lights.

Minibear453

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I thought I posted this before, but the computer's a bit glitchy. I'm looking for a light that runs on 1AA, And 2AA, or 1 CR123, And 2 Cr123s... like a tube to extend it so it carries two of the original batteries. Thanks a lot for helping, and really sorry about not posting that sooner.