AAA to C Adapter

randyo

Enlightened
Does anyone know of a AAA to C-Cell adapter - parallel - putting 3 AAA cells in a C-cell sized adapter? Anyone tried it? I have some raw ideas floating around in my head, but being lazy, I'd rather buy than build.

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
Well, a 3 AAA to C adapter is not that bad of an idea. In my backpacking days I used to have everything standerized to AAA. Headlamp, radio, etc. If I needed or wanted to use something that took Cs then an AAA adapter would be great.

But I do agree that AAs are better if you're not trying to shave ounces off your pack weight.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mucho better idea :). The Lenmar adapters are readily available in some retail outlets and the capacity of a 2500 mAh AA NiMH battery is about half that of a real C sized NiMH battery, so it would be decent usable adapter. I keep some of those around for those 'just in case' situations, though the concern that I've had is how durable the adapters might be if they were used with any degree of frequency.

randyo said:
Hmmm - after thinking it over - what's the point. A good quality AA cell is equal to 3 AAA cells. Cheaper to just toss an AA into a Lenmar AA to C adapter.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Those are some expensive adapters listed on that page. The Lenmar AA to C (or D) adapters only cost $5 for 4 (full bore over the counter retail) at our local stores.

jtheodas said:
I found this adapter here that does 4 AA to D in parallel and you can use 1, 2, 3 or 4 batteries in it. Pretty nice.

Anyone used this before?

http://www.aventrade.com/baad.html

mdocod

Flashaholic
in my little axshop 28LED light, there is an adapter that is similar in size to a C cell(3xAAA), but it wires it in series- with some modification, it could probably be made to do it in parrallel- why buy an adapter, when you can buy a flashlight, lol.

bcwang

Enlightened
jtheodas said:
I found this adapter here that does 4 AA to D in parallel and you can use 1, 2, 3 or 4 batteries in it. Pretty nice.

Anyone used this before?

http://www.aventrade.com/baad.html

I was interested in this adapter, but has anyone tried it and verified it fits larger sized batteries like the latest high capacity AA nimh cells? I'm referring to the 4aa->D one.

randyo

Enlightened
There may be "fit" issues with some batteries when using the Aventrade adapter. I have no problem putting 4 Engergizer Lithium batteries into the adapter and they fit in all of my D-cell lights. However, I tried Batterystation Lithium batteries and had fit problems. I suspect the same issue will come up when using NIMH.