Advantages/disadvantages of crenellated bezels

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hi,

I've always thought that crenulated bezels were stupid for the most part. They are hard on the pocket, add length, and add nothing in my opinion. I mean, really, is someone seriously going to defend him/herself with a three inch light and a strike bezel? I'd rather have pepper spray if the shtf.

Does anyone actually think they are a positive addition to a light?

What are your thoughts?

Blue

I could see a strike bezel being advantageous with proper combat training. Of course its not as ideal as a fixed blade, pepper spray, or firearm... but I don't think they are intended to be the primary option in the first place.

For me its not a deal breaker either way.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
When using my lights I rarely if ever set them down with the bezel down. Its usually tailstand or lying on its side. I actually had the bezels on my PD-S and Novatac flattened (excellent work by Kromeke) because the crenelations while not severe were still harder on my pockets. I also sold my Al Bitz for the same reason. Overall I think that crenelation can add a nice aesthetic but I find they do not add any functionality in my day to day uses.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all crenellations are aggressive looking strike bezels that will tear and snag things they come into contact with (whether wallboard, pockets, or "softer" materials.) Strictly as a matter of form not function this bezel is more pleasing to my eye than if it was smooth.
lf3xtfrontlensuk1.jpg

Of course you mostly seemed to want to talk about the more aggressive of their brothers. By reducing the surface area being contacted initially more force will be delivered per unit of area being impacted (with the same total force being applied). That's going to make it more likely that the material being impacted is going to be overwhelmed at the point of impact. You can probably expect that in many cases you'll see more penetration on the impacted target.

That's very similar to what the thinking is in the design of Armor Piercing rounds used to defeat main battle tanks. Terminal effects are only part of the equation though. To defeat a tank you have to both hit it and produce a desirable result from that hit.

A strike bezel increases the odds of a beneficial self defense result given a hit. It's on an improvised weapon that may or may not offer a reasonable chance of successful hits (depending on training and other individual factors.) If the odds of hitting with it are low the effect of a hit may not matter. Carrying it involves costs - increased size, weight, clothing wear, etc. Both the chance of it being applied correctly, and the costs, are issues that are very much dependent on personal factors and weightings. Other options for self defense will also be heavily weighted by personal factors, and wildly differing laws.

Blue you ask if I think they are a positive addition to a light. The more important question is are they a positive addition to a light carried by which person, in what circumstances. I don't think we will ever come to a consensus. The only consensus that truly matters is the consensus of one - the one carrying the light. I don't choose to myself. I won't say that I can't envision times when they make sense.

PhillyRube

Enlightened
I have several on small lights: 6P, 9N. I have trained with a kubaton, so to me, it's the same...weapons strike and then reaction strike. The blunt end will still put the hurt on, but with the added teeth, you get more bite.

Now before I go to that level of force, the force being used against me must be assaultive in nature. If it's just a normal arrest with minimal resistance, I can use OC.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
One nice feature is that it gives you something to grip when you're opening or operating your light.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the time being, I EDC two things:

Benchmade mini-Griptilian
SureFire Single Mode E2DL

I'm a Reserve at the local PD and while I'm waiting to turn 21, I have them both as normal, EDC items, and also tools to sort of do my job.

I was asked to come to big events in case mayhem errupted to help quell anything and when I go into a store or something I would personally do what I could if something bad happened.

Other than my unique situation, I have never found a need for crenellated bezels.

However, on my E2DL, they are not big enough to matter as far as bothering me in my pocket.

The length of the light would cause more of a problem not the length of the bezel.

The others out there that are huge, I would find absolutely no real world use except to defend yourself if the option to run isn't there.

GreyShark

Enlightened
Fighting is something I have done a lot of. I can assure you that the only thing crenelated bezels will add to a fight is extra blood. Not enough to be debilitating or lethal, just enough to make a real nasty mess. There are too many blood born diseases in this day and age for me to want any part of that. Otherwise your standard 2 cell or 3 cell tactical light it going to do a perfectly fine job concentrating force on a small, very hard area. It will also produce cuts depending on what is struck, but not as many. Even though they won't add much utility crenelations will add a lot to the looks which can be bad if you're just trying to take your EDC through one of the inane "security checkpoints" popping up in the victim disarmament zones which are so popular these days.

I do think they make some sense as a feature to tell if your light is on or off, or just to see where it is, if you put it down somewhere.

DM51

Flashaholic
I wrote this in post #15 above:

Discussions about how to injure other people with strike bezels are also disallowed...
Despite that injunction, the discussion has veered inexorably in that direction.

That is why threads on this and similar topics invariably end up being closed. This one is now similarly discredited and closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.