Advice needed headlamp for Scouts

joeangi

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, new to this forum, I have been hanging in the LED flashlight section.

I would like to get my son (13 years old) a headlamp for Christmas. It would be primarily used for camping with the Scouts. He has none now, and most of the guys have cheap dept. store models. Looking for a decent light, would like to keep it in the $50 range

Thank you for any advice.
Joe

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, new to this forum, I have been hanging in the LED flashlight section.

I would like to get my son (13 years old) a headlamp for Christmas. It would be primarily used for camping with the Scouts. He has none now, and most of the guys have cheap dept. store models. Looking for a decent light, would like to keep it in the $50 range

Thank you for any advice.
Joe

Princeton Tec EOS. They can be found for under $30, and are great little headlamps. I have a variety of headlamps, including a Princeton Tec EOS APEX, but I usually grab the EOS instead. When my son is old enough to go camping with the Cub Scouts, we will both be using a Princeton Tec EOS.

Another option to consider, though slightly more than the $50 range is the ZebraLight H501, or H30. They are all flood, but are great for use outdoors in extreme darkness, or in the tent (low).

Fenix has a new headlamp coming out soon that has my attention. It is the HL20. It is a single AA light, and boasts a 105 lumen high, 48 lumen medium, and a 4 lumen low. It also has strobe. Price is TBD.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
Princeton Tec EOS or Princeton Tec Quad for something a bit less expensive but still very good. REI.com has good reviews of both and more.

joeangi

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the input. Sounds like the Princeton is the way to go, and not much money.

Joe

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are basically the same with The EOS II just being a newer model with more lumens but they don't advertise it as being the EOS II just EOS. As long as you get the 50 lumen model it is the newest and brightest model. Here is a couple links note their is a couple different color to choose from.

http://www.lighthound.com/Princeton-Tec-EOS-Headlamp-Black-Body-Black-Bezel_p_1558.html

http://www.ptsportlights.com/?q=node/65

P.S. Get some Energizer E2 lithium batterys and you can quadruple the runtime and the light will weight alot less. This way you or him won't have to change batterys as often and with headlamps with battery's that are loaded in the front like this one can slide down your forehead the less weight the less this is likely to happen.

Last edited:

joeangi

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the info. Headlamp ordered!

Better off with lithium or rechargeables? I understand that the lithium have a longer shelf life, and are lighter. What do most guys use?

Thanks,
Joe

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Lithium batteries are the "Cadillac" of batteries, but they cost a LOT more and I would not use them for a kid's headlamp. I find that they are most useful in emergency gear that I may not use for a long time but must depend on the batteries being good to go when needed.

For the money, you really can't go wrong with rechargeable batteries. Just make sure your son knows that they are not to be tossed away. Plus, scouts should be mindful of their impact on the environment, and teaching him responsible use of rechargeable batteries is a good lesson.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
while EOS / APEX are great headlamps, they are not good for a child, imho.
I do not think it is able to care for that short runtime on max, every time the light is used.

Better to check what the group uses now - battery wise, so they all use the same batts - then decide some rugged light using them.
With less than full power output, longer runtime and VERY easy UI
or
how about a good 2*AA lamp (or whatever "main" light Your son uses) and such a band with loops to put that lamp on the head, if the need arises.

sed6

Enlightened
I think they are basically the same with The EOS II just being a newer model with more lumens but they don't advertise it as being the EOS II just EOS. As long as you get the 50 lumen model it is the newest and brightest model.

What?! You are very wrong on this, and it looks like you steered someone toward a wrong purchase. The EOS II is definately advertised as such. Here's a link to it on the PT website...
http://www.ptsportlights.com/?q=node/118

Your link pointed to the -old- 4 mode light.

joeangi

Newly Enlightened
Got the EOS II, was opened yesterday. Great light....Thank you all for the advice

Joe

Last edited: