• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Advice on Newbie's First Aleph Purchase

bignasty

Newly Enlightened
Advice on Newbie\'s First Aleph Purchase

Hello,

Been a lurker in CPF since Sep. when I got my e2e and now I am considering my first Aleph purchase. I know I will not be able to resist the Aleph 3, DB917, 2X123 Lux III setup for some serious throw, but that will probably be my second Aleph purchase. My questions concern the Aleph 2 or Aleph 1 with a Lux III, 1 X 123, and the NG500 LE (hope I didn't miss anything). I already have a KL1 4th Gen on a 1 X 123 body and the QIII.

How does this Aleph 1 setup compare to the KL1 in terms of throw?

How does this Aleph 2 setup compare to the KL1 in terms of throw and how does it compare to the QIII in terms of general usage short - medium range light?

I am considering getting this Aleph setup with both the A1 and A2 heads. I just want to find out how it compares to my similiar lights. I love the KL1 on a 1X123 body when used outdoors, I would like to keep this type of throw with a little bit more sidespill and a higher (non-optics) beam quality. I would think this A1 setup would do the job.

I like the bang for the buck of the QIII, but am looking for something a little higher quality, of course a brigher beam in the semi flood category, and also the 2 stage switch. I am hoping the A2 setup fits the bill.

Just to give everyone an idea of the flashlights I own:

e2e, C2, C3, L4 w/ 2 stage switch, KL1 on a 1X123 body, QIII, SRTH for the C3 but I am still waiting on a N2 bulb.

Right now I edc the KL1 in the QIII's pouch and have the L4 in my briefcase.

I picked the Lux III DB917 (2 X 123) and Lux III NG 500 (1X123) because based on all the threads I have read this seem to be a very good blend brightness and runtime which is what I am looking. Please feel free to suggest another combo.

Last question, does the NG LE flicker in low mode? Is this annoying? I plan on using the A2 setup in low mode a fair amount.

CPF is a great resource that I have used to research the flashlights I have purchased.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

bignasty

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Advice on Newbie\'s First Aleph Purchase

Hi bignasty and welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In my opinion, you have done a good job of assessing the various lights and their behavior in terms of output quite well and I concurr with your perceptions. I think you will find that the Aleph 2 will reach as far as the KL1 but with a smaller diameter beam while it also gives you information with its spill beam that is lacking from the optic of the KL1. I think you will notice a marked difference in performance and function of the Aleph 2 compared to the Q3.

The Aleph1 will out throw the KL1 but with a noticibly smaller and brighter beam. It has useable spill in a wide angle but not as intense as the Aleph 2.

I have put a lot of NG's together and have not seen any real issue with the flicker but I think I am not a good judge of this. There are a bunch of these out now with the reports of the flicker issue being bothersome being in a small minority. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

Welcome, Big! You've definitely done some studying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif After reading through your wants, I think you'd be happiest with an A1 head on your 1x123 body. If you like the current KL1 at all, then the A1 will seem like it has tons of side spill! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And on top of that, the throw is exceptional. If you like the form-factor of the smaller KL1 head, then the A2 is obviously the one to use... but at a loss of some throw (and gain in spill). You'll just have to decide the priorities. Bang-for-the-buck, the A1 is very hard to beat for a reach-out-and-touch somebody light. Still small enough to be easy to carry, but big enough to throw with the big-boys.

I trade off with carrying an A2 and an A1 on a 1x123 body these days. The A1 definitely impresses the babes more - but I get more *real* use out of the A2 since most of my needs are up-close and personal.

** Jeez, while writing this, and re-reading, I wish once again that these head numbers made some logical sense! Yikes. We should call them S, M and L. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

lol,, or call the 1,2 and 3 the Throw, spill, and thow MONSTER heads, respectively /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

bignasty

Newly Enlightened

Don & Darell - Thanks for the reply that is the information I was looking for.

Don, a couple quick questions. Does the flickering on low with the NG depend at all on the resistor value used? i.e. is there more or less flickering with a higher R value? Or is it not dependent on the R value?

I am a little confused on the finish options. Is it possible to get the A1 or A2, 1 X 123 body, and tailcap all in the same finish i.e. either all HAIII-NAT or the almost black finish (dark slate gray).

Finally do you have the flat top tail cap in stock?

I am very close to placing an order.

Thanks,

bignasty

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

I think the "standard" finish is Black for all the Aleph parts, but Don has been recently selling multi-colored versions at a small premium.

The Alephs I've received have a consistent Black finish on all the parts and look great.

I'm not sure what you mean by "flat" tailcap: the standard Aleph tailcap will stand on end without tipping over [aka candlemode], but if your refering to a smaller twisty style tailcap, with no momentary switch, I don't think they are available [except maybe by $pecial order].

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The standard finish is a special hard anodize that is a natural (no dye) black or a dark slate gray if you want to distinguish it from typical HAIII black. There are some parts in HAIII-Nat of the common color (green/gray). If you are referring to the "bald" cap or FT that uses the same, unguarded cap and difference being that one uses the stock button that sticks out (like a SF) and the other that has a near flush neoprene membrane and special shortened button inside, yes, these caps are available in limited quantities. At least I have some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regarding the flickering, it seems that it is more pronounced with higher resistor values (dimmer light output) but it has been reported in all cases by a few. I think 10 or 15 ohms will typically give you a good low without a flicker issue, most of the time and for most people! YMMV

bignasty

Newly Enlightened

Don,

order email sent.

bignasty

Latest posts