Advise?

so241

Newly Enlightened
Need some advise. You guys have been so patient with all the new-comers, including me. I am in local law enforcement and here is what I would like. An led light that has throw, not really a flood light. Something that will bring all those wayward doers into the light. Have been reading in candlepower forums about the "Cree" and am wondering if it is possible to maybe put that in G&P scorpion. Have the scorpion alreadyand it is AWESOME! Not dead set against incans. as I am also working to mod my mag recharger. Was really wanting to know of an led with the throw of a modded mag or the G&P scorpion so as to have my primary flashligh, the mag and secondary flashlight on duty belt, or, in my situation are incans. still the way to go? Love the forum and appreciate you guys alot. The light will be used, as usual, approaching vehicles, building searches and illuminating subjects from, oh, let's say, 30 to 40 feet away. The throw will come in handy on foot beat patrols.

so241

Newly Enlightened
thanx

Have a terralux conversion for the magcharger already however, the beam is more of a flood. Is this a new conversion. The one I have has the greay shock foam around it the tle-100 has black, any difference? Thanx again.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds to me you need the power of an incan, no LED IMHO has the power you need for such clarity at that distance, top notch reliability also. My Highest powered LED is the McGizmo Mcree XR-19C, even more powerful than an L5 or L6. But in your place I'd take my SF M6 with the HOLA any day.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking to replace either of your two rather powerful incandescent lights with an led then I think that you're going to be disappointed with any of the single emitter solutions. At the moment the best single led on the market can only put out a fraction of the light that your lamps do.

If you want to go down the led road I'd suggest taking a look at Elektrolumens' lights. Since you're used to larger lights they might suit you.

Another option would be to talk to a modder about building you something. There are lots of multi-led builds in C/D Maglites to look at on the forum. For throw I think you'd want something using 27mm reflectors. Milkyspit has done some high output builds in slimmer CR123A bodies. I don't know if the head on your Scorpion would have enough space to accomodate a multi-led build due to its shape, maybe something could be done with a Wolf Eyes M90X (another 4x123A body which will take 18650 cells)?

Either way it's not cheap getting an led replacement for a really bright incandescent - unless you think long term (about 15 lamp replacements/300-400 hours use), where you would actually come out on top.

LowTEC

Enlightened
I have yet to see any LED light that can do 400-500 lumens like your scorpion

so241

Newly Enlightened
Thanx to everyone who has responded thus far, you guys area a great flashlight encyclopedia.

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
SO241,
Go to Electrolemens website. Look at the Stunner XR-e. Check with them...maybe he could replace the Cree optics with seven (7) aspherical lens optics ?? Alignment might be challenging ??? Enough room in the Stunner head ??? I for one would LOVE to see such a combo !!!1000 plus lumens...focused !!! I'd hate to be on the recieving end !!!

carrot

Flashaholic
There is a Welch Allyn (sp?) incandescent lamp that you can put in your Magcharger for better output, but I don't know the specific name. You could also look into the Tigerlight FBOP, which is not quite as bright as the Scorpion (to my knowledge), but is a compact reliable and rechargeable light.