Aid for the laser pointers

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
Many of the people who owns a laser pointer is awared of the dust problem.
Even taking care of leaving the unit in its case, or trying to leave the unit in clean places, the fact is that sooner or later, the dust will start entering the unit reaching the collimator lense :? . And sometimes it's not so easy to reach it with a q-tip, due to the size of the little hole on the lasers, making difficult to accomplish.

I started thinking about this problem, until I finished making this little 'dust-safe' thing. It fits the Leadlight model (Atlasnova) and also for the Wicked laser models. (Watch pics)
laser2.jpg

laser3.jpg

It's also a great tool when you want to use your laser pointer as a powerfull green beacon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here with lights on in a room
beacon1.jpg

With the same conditions, now the laser turned on.
beacon2.jpg

Same light conditions, check how the camera had to close the aperture due to the high green light coming to it.
beacon3.jpg

Greetings!

Roga_Danar

Newly Enlightened
you selling these things? Where did you get them? I have the same problem, not matter how hard I try to keep the lens clean, there always ends up being little dust particals that get on the collimating lens and scatter the beam.

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
Yes I had the same problem too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , that's why I created these things, and I have to say that works pretty good avoiding dust getting into the lens. If someone is interested in getting some you can email me [email protected] or visit my forum and send me a private message.
Greetings!

Raccoon

Enlightened
I'll trade you one of these for a black cap I made for my leadlight.

I used a black rubber "foot" cap meant for the leg of some furniture, that I bought at the local Gambles hardware store. I cut it down in length and it fits very well over the end of my Atlasnova greenie. It has become religious habbit to place the cap on when not in use to prevent accidental misfire or holes in my pocket. I think everyone should have one.

Yours looks like plastic, not rubber. I found that plastic caps tend to become brittle and very short lived. But I'd like to try one.

abeland1

Enlightened
Nice Work!!

With your permission I would like forward this to Leadlight and strongly suggest that they include something of the same sort. There is plenty of room in the case to store it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is pretty neat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does it get warm at all using it as a beacon?

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
No it doesn't get warm at all. It is white plastic, and it does its job really good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (to prevent dust coming into the lense or using your laser like a green beacon).
Of course Arnold you can tell them. Would be happy if my idea is of some use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

deezdrama05

Enlightened
Naquadah how come when I try to go into your forums nothing shows up? Your site looks very nice though - toobad more members dont signup and get more traffic

Raccoon

Enlightened
Oooh, which brand of chapstick has a cap that fits a leadlight? Personally I think Naquadah should reveal where he bought the cap he's using.

(*isn't very fond of the popup windows on naq's website*)

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been "experimenting" with a low-tech method. I stick a piece of cello tape on the end of the pointer, with a "tab" to easily remove and re-attach it. The adhesive on the tape may not be good for the pointer/lens, but so far I haven't had any problems. Not very attractive perhaps, but function over form...?

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
Erm, I don't know deezdrama, perhaps the link it's not working correctly from your location, try to use the page if it works better for you. http://usuarios.lycos.es/naqua/index.php
Raccon I can't reveal where I bought it because I haven't bought anything, I made it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif.
I also don't like popups but it's the way the host is free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif . Firefox works good with those ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Raccoon

Enlightened
Would you be interested in revealing your fabrication process, or is that a trade secret? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
Ok I take a look right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, sorry I didn't notice it , I don't use to check it. E-mail much better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif [email protected]

Latest posts