• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

aleph 19m uv question

s.duff

Enlightened
can someone break down the benefits/differences between going with the nexgen, downboy, or wizard le?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
DownBoy is a buck converter and allows greater battery voltage than Vin of the LED ... and is good for 2x123 or 3x123 combos or the like.

NG is a boost converter and requires a battery voltage below the Vin of the LED and is ok for 1x123

Wiz is a buck/boost converter and allows for 1x123 and 2x123 but is a bit less efficient than the above two.

So ... in the end the driver is a result of your desired battery combo while the drive current set with this driver regulates the brightness of the LED.

bernie

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nexgen series are a constant current driver, but the V in can not be be than the V out.
Downboy is a buck voltage driver, so your V in can be more than the V out (Vf of the Led)
Wizard series are a buck and boost driver with constant current regulation.

Some others with more experience can provide more details.

s.duff

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
DownBoy is a buck converter and allows greater battery voltage than Vin of the LED ... and is good for 2x123 or 3x123 combos or the like.

NG is a boost converter and requires a battery voltage below the Vin of the LED and is ok for 1x123

Wiz is a buck/boost converter and allows for 1x123 and 2x123 but is a bit less efficient than the above two.

So ... in the end the driver is a result of your desired battery combo while the drive current set with this driver regulates the brightness of the LED.

bernie

ok, that make sense, but by less eficient, do you mean that the batteries get used up faster?

Fringe

Enlightened
S.duff,

I just hooked up a A19 UV head setup with NexGen LE at the shoppe. I prefer the 1x123 setup with NexGen and my A1 and A2 heads have this, they were built by Chop and I love them, especially my A2 setup with green Led, I have had a revival of new love for this light. It is so bright and a nice green tint for night ops around my urban estate. I look forward to be able to use my A19 with my other luxIII leds and to sample the effects of the UV led!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
s.duff ... yes, exactly. The output will be the same as all those converters are current regulated, but the batteries will get used up faster.
This difference isn't terrible though as all those drivers are state-of-the-art drivers. The main point is that the battery choice dictates the driver choice and is (within technical limits) indipendent of the drive current to the LED.

Now ... my knowledge comes from re-gurgitating what others said ... AND ... the Cree UV LED is a different animal than the LuxIII I am used to, so you might want to take my info with at least a grain of salt and ask the more specific questions those people who know this stuff :D

bernie

pyro

Enlightened
not familiar with the Cree LED,
how would it work with Downboy and Li-Ion?