Amilite Neo T5 or MK.IIX

DM51

Flashaholic
wacomme said:
I'm trying to learn about these new type of batteries.

I suppose one needs a special Li-ion charger to charge 14500 batteries, correct?

Is the main difference between the 14500 batteries and regular rechargeable AA batteries (NiMH) is the voltage, and thus the brightness of the flashlight?
Wacomme, there are different battery chemistries involved. NiMH rechargeables will directly replace Alkaline disposables as the voltages are (roughly) the same (~1.2-1.5v). NiMH sizes are usually referred to in the same way as alkalines (AA, AAA etc).

Moving on from there, you have Lithium primaries (disposables) which are 3v, and Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) rechargeables, which are 3.7v (4.2v ~ 3.0v). The sizes are usually in the format explained by Havand and CFU above (14500 happens to be the same physical size as AA, but of course it is not interchangeable as it is 2.5-3x the voltage). Then there are protected and unprotected Li-Ion cells, and yes, they need special chargers…

There's a lot to it, and I'm not even going to attempt to explain all the pros and cons (and different applications) of all these various cell types here as (1) it would be hi-jacking this thread, which I'm in severe danger of having done already (my apols, Iceman & guys) and (2) others can do it far better than I can. A very good place to start would be with posts #25 & #30 by mdocod in this thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1886587#post1886587

iceman

Newly Enlightened
AC_Doctor said:
I just recieved my Amilite Neo T5 and am very impressed. The low-high-off clickie is a little hard to get used to, since I use a Surefire L4 daily, but the high beam is almost just a bright and seems to have nice spill and a super-nice smooth beam (for all you white wall hunters).

AC

Nice to hear that! Do you have the MKII-X to compare it?

Latest posts