An "Engineer's" Opinion on Surefire Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: An \"Engineer\'s\" Opinion on Surefire Lights

I am a photographer and I use Photoshop to do my work. If your friend happen to program something like Photoshop then would he think that it is fair that I pay him $3 to buy that package? $1 for the CD-R, $1 for the box and packaging, and $1 for the manual? Why should I pay a few hundreds to purchase Photoshop?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

the man years that it took to create photoshop can not be compared to simple (by comparison) surefire flashlights.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Toecutter said:

He put a value on the M6 of $40.00, the A2 and L2 about $15.00 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all know Surefire gets a premium for their lights these days, just because of the Surefire name. That's the way it works in every industry: the acknowledged leaders are able to charge more, for the perception of leadership and being the safe choice.

That said, the fact that your friend thinks an L2 can be developed, produced, and delivered for $15 says more about his understanding of engineering (and business) than it does about the L2. I wouldn't spend too much time and gnashing of teeth over this. Pearls before swine, and all that.

Joe

flashlite

Enlightened

Ultimately, the market will determine the price of a good or service but an individual judging whether something is "underpriced" or "overpriced" is very subjective. To someone whose life could depend on the performance of their flashlight, $150 may seem very insignificant. To someone else who just needs a flashlight for general and infrequent use, a Surefire would probably be overkill and its' cost unjustifiable. Even as a "flashaholic", I'm still unable to justify the cost of a Surefire, but I don't just look at the initial cost of the light. I also look at the cost to use it. By my calculations, a typical Surefire that's used just 10 minutes per day would cost about $207* per year just to run it. That's the main reason I'm still unable to justify the initial cost of $150(+/-).......but of course, that may eventually change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

* Based on 60 min. runtime, $1.50/battery & one replacement lamp @ $25.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like the bottom line with this guy is simple, I have met them before and I know one very well who happens to be a Civil engineer. Some guys just can't give credit to anyone else, if they did'nt have anything to do with it's planning or production it's crap! Granted they are inteligent but it only contributes to their downfall which is being an egomaniac know it all which is basically the answer to the joke I posted earlier in this thread "what do engineers use for birth control?" Answer, their personality. Now I know not all engineers are like this but many I have met are, get a bunch in a room together with a few drinks and the results are down right comical.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Closed. Veering off-topic to personal attacks, as warned about earlier.

-dan

Status
Not open for further replies.