AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

chinkaroo

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, I'm new to this web site, but very happy that I have found all these people with the same interest as me. Two days ago I received my an/vss-1 search light. I figured hooking this bad boy up would be pretty straight foward, not so. All information and advice would be helpfull. Holding my breath till I can fire her up

ShortArc

Enlightened
All the information to successfully wire the light should be present in this thread. The wiring schematic show in post #39 is of vital importance. Don't make the same mistake I did and wire pin for pin.

chinkaroo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Guys, After looking at CarbonArc's photo's and the schematic posted by ShortArc this wiring problem of mine all started to come together. As soon as I can locate a 150 watt generator I should be off and running. Many Thanks, Chinkaroo

ShortArc

Enlightened
CarbonArc:

Still waiting for Bob from Peakbeam to move to his new location. Once there he promised to send out a new igniter! Hopefully next week he will get his hands on one which I am anxiously awaiting. I may also (time permitting) bring back my VSS-3 from Maine (back to Mass) or visa versa and do a shootout between the two but those are all future plans once I get the VSS-1 up and running again.

Willem.

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Last I spoke with Ecycle, they said "the week of the 20th" to ship my genset. I just want mine up and running by Memorial Day weekend. I *think* I have found a VSS-3, and will know for sure by the end of the month. :D Willem, did yours come with 2 control boxes? I will also have to make-up the cables.

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened
tvodrd:
Yes, mine came with two control boxes but I only wired one because of cost.
I have all the connector info (lotsalumens did most of the research here). Also wiring gauges should be matched to internal wiring of the VSS-3 (not connector wiring), this will save you a few gauges.
If you find another VSS-3, let me know…I am in for a second.
PS. You will be doing a lot of soldering.
Willem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
ShortArc said:
PS. You will be doing a lot of soldering.
Willem.

I love the smell of rosin in the morning! :D (I'll pass it on that you are also looking for another.)

Larry

lotsalumens

Enlightened
tvodrd, the second control box on the VSS-3 just has a redundant subset of the controls on the main box. I am guessing that the gunner or driver used the main panel, and the small remote box could be used by the commander. Given the price of some of these connectors and the number of pins on the small panel, I opted never to hook mine up.

Charles

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
Check out eBay item # 6621575136. It looks like a AN/VSS-3 but the seller doesn't show any pictures of it. He only shows pictures from the manual. It looks like it could be a good deal. At the time of this post, it has zero bids and ends in 2 days 20 hours. I already have one or I'd be interested. Enjoy!

ShortArc

Enlightened
Connectors for the VSS-3 will run around $300, that does not include hookup for the aux control box. You will also become very good at soldering (23 wires per plug).

Good luck and cheers.

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Bump time. :) I have a VSS-3A lined-up to pick up a week from tomorrow in San Louis Obispo- ~250 mile drive north. The tripod mount is sorta designed, awaiting the light to measure for the trunions and clearance for the mounting bolts inside. Bunch of machining to do this weekend! I followed up on the genset this week and ecycle says maybe next week- "issues" with the propane conversion. :rant:

Larry