Another headlight restoration thread (on a 2006 Acura TL)

splew

Newly Enlightened
So I've lurked on these forums a fair bit before registering, so I know the topic of restoring the hazed lenses on headlights has been practically beaten to death, so please forgive me.

So I have a 2006 Acura TL and I've noticed the headlights are starting to haze up a bit. Nothing extreme yet though. I know from reading other threads on this that the only real "solution" for oxidized headlamps is to buy new ones. Here's the problem though, a pair of new OE (Stanley) lamps cost a mint ($900-$1000). I suspect this is because the lamps are combination headlamps/fog lamps and they come with all the complex bi-xenon hardware, minus the bulbs and ballasts.

So due to the insane price of replacement headlamps, I'm kind of stuck with the restoration route. So what I'm wondering is if any of you had any advice for me on restoring the headlights. I've done some headlight restoration before. I used 1200-1500 grit sand paper to remove the heavy oxidation and then buffed the headlights using 3m cutting compound, machine polish and ultra-fine machine polish.

If you guys know any better ways of doing it, I'm all ears. Also, if you know any ways of lengthening the time it takes the lenses to haze up again, that would be appreciated. I've heard laminex reduces hazing, but I'm dubious.

splew

Newly Enlightened
The Spar Urethane/mineral spirits treatment described here may be useful to you.

Thanks for that info. I'll have to try that when I do restore my lights. They're not that bad yet, and as far as I can tell output and beam pattern are still excellent, so I'm holding off until they get a little worse before I remove what's left of the factory UV coating.