Any EDC AA lights out there that just have high, medium, low, and firefly/moonlight?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I don't keep packages, so I don't know which lights use pwm, my budget lights almost definitely do.

As for your modes criteria, I think a programable light is what you need, maybe an hds or Novatac. HDS has PDF files of there manuals on there site so you can search to see if it has pwm.

Id suggest a Thrunite neutron but in the review pwm was brought up. Good luk in your search

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
You sure there's no PWM on a Zebralight? C'mon guys, wake up! The OP specifically mentioned that he is sensitive to PWM and does not want a light with PWM. Please recommend responsibly.
I was awake.......:nana: this time.

Out of the SEVEN modes on the SC51 FIVE are current regulated and only TWO are PWM.

LED: Cree XP-G Cool White (color temperature 6100-6500 K)
User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.
Light Output
High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 140 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
Medium: M1 30 Lm (9 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (30 hrs)
Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)
Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.
The 200, 140, 30, 8 and 2.5 Lumen output levels are current regulated. The 100 and 0.2 Lumen output levels are PWM generated.
Operating Voltage Range: 0.7V - 2.5V
Battery: One 1.5V AA (NiMH, lithium or alkaline). 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported. Batteries are not included in the package.
Parasitic Drain: Negligible (equivalent to 16 years)
Beam Type
80° spill beam spread
11° (3.8 feet at 20 feet) hot spot
Dimensions
Diameter: 0.85 inch (22 mm)
Length: 3.15 inch (80 mm)
Weight
1.3 oz (36.5 gram) with clip, without battery or headband
Features
Electronic soft-touch switch, with a 200,000 cycle operating life
Smart user interface provides fast and easy access to all brightness levels
Precision machined unibody casing from premium grade Alcoa aluminum bar stock
Proprietary heat sinking design bonds the LED board directly to the unibody aluminum casing, providing unblocked thermal paths to over 94% of the surface area.
Durable natural hard anodized finish (Type III Class I)
SCHOTT ultra clear lens with anti-reflection coatings on both sides
Bezel down clip (pre-installed)
Can be used as a headlamp with the included headband
Orange peel textured reflector
Anti-roll and tail-standing capable

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Jetbeam bk135a that fits your description very very closely. They refer to the UI as the "IBS System". Some of their other lights, such as the Jet I Pro have it also. It has three user selected levels, so you can have it come on at any level the light can attain. It is easy to program the levels. It is one of the very brightest on a single ~1.5v AA and the low is very low, so it has an excellent range of brightness choices. It has a small diameter for an AA light, which makes it easy to carry. Here is a link to one of the first threads about this light.
I run most of my lights on Eneloops/Duraloops including this one sometimes, but find that the BK135a performs better on the slightly higher voltage of PowerGenix 1.7v [Ni-Zn IIRC]. It can run very brightly on 3.7v lithiums, but it does get warm/hot.

I fully agree with your very well-stated first sentence: "I'm not really into disco or regularly getting myself trapped in life-threatening situations where I'm so physically incapacitated that I need a flashlight to signal SOS for me."
IIRC this lights has a way to get to those modes, but I have never seen them - they are not easy to access accidentaly.

Last edited: