Any Experience with: ULTRAFIRE Q5 C2?

vetkaw63

Enlightened
What did you grind the edges with? I am assuming all you had to do to get them to fit was grind the diameter.
Thanks,
Mike

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I used these-

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4558

Not perfect, they require quite a bit of work to align, but, hey, they are cheap, and I already had them to hand.

Definitely interested in this mod as well. You said the focal length was 30mm but the distance of the lens to the LED was 24mm, is it to the top of the LED lens or is it to the die. Would you happen to know the distance to the die? And with this difference in the focal length, is the light still focused very well? Thanks.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the new C2 Q5 HA? I have the C2 HA with the P4 or whatever it had, which I modded to Q5. I was impressed with the quality of the C2 HA for what it costs. :)

mrfluffy

Newly Enlightened
My own impressions of the light are that in an urban environment, you will get a discernable difference at 200 feet, enough to spot anything that should or shouldn't be there. In a very dark setting, you can get a similar result at 250, maybe 300 feet. The light still outputs a lot of spill, so it's not a throw monster in any case. The benefits are mainly in the tint of the light, and a slight increase in lumens.

The Aspheric mod clearly lights up trees, houses etc at 300+ feet in an urban setting, have not tried it in a really dark setting yet.

vetkaw63, I used a diamond sharpening stone to grind down the lense to fit the bezel, but have since discarded that approach. Now, I have ground down the C2 bezel so it is completely flat, and then simply attached the unmodified lense to the end of the bezel.

Voila! A perfectly focused beam. A piece of PVC pipe now protects the lense from drop damage, the light looks good, and the throw is excellent.

Firstly, a rather poor beamshot. The photo is rather overexposed, in real life, the die of the LEd is projected perfectly onto the wall. Throw distance is about 12 metres, spot diameter is about 60 cm.
DSCN0065.jpg

Showing the relative sizes between stock unmodified Q5 C2 and modified C2

DSCN0067.jpg

And here you can see the aspheric lense and PVC protecting pipe

DSCN0069.jpg

I am really happy with this mod, I can't see any way to advance it any further yet, unless I do a driver mod to try and run it at a higher current. But the two lights sit quite happily on my bike handlebars, great spill, awesome throw, scares the crap out of unsuspecting pedestrians :)

Last edited: