Any new flashlights using newest generation of leds xhp70.2 xhp50.2 xp-l2 xm-l3

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't touch any of the new Cree stuff with a 10' pole, terrible light quality for flashlight applications and the XP-G3 is a worse thrower than the XP-G2 for the thrower people.
That said, if you want raw output, a frosted optic/lens or appropriate reflector angle and OP should make the crap beams tolerable.

easilyled

Flashaholic
In a way, I'm happy if the new generation of emitters are not favourably regarded as flashlight material, which certainly seems to be the consensus so far. It means that all my flashlights are up-to-date as is and don't need upgrading at the moment. ;)

ven

Flashaholic
Very interesting, tbh i have not got any of the latest LED's pretty much because i am yet to hear anything positive. I would simply rather have 10,000lm of nice CT over 20,000 of blue/green/yellow. As much as I like high output, beam pattern ,CT and tint are far more important for me. Most of us can get by with far less than a 1000lm, why have crazy amounts but not easy on the eye. All subjective and we all have different wants and needs granted, maybe i have got too fussy! But once you have been spoiled by xpl HI 4000k or 219b 4000/4500k..............its hard for me to put up with anything not as easy on the eye................even if twice as bright(dont care).
Out of the "newer" LED's, its only the xp-g3 i have had experience with.................far from impressed. Yet the xp-g2 4000k and 5000k still today hold their own IMO.
Yellow i can cope with easy(not too yellow though!), blue, green no matter what is a no no for me. As much as i want to light up everything ahead, there is no point if i dont like looking at what is illuminated. Has to be easy or true to life or for me pointless. Guess i am trying to say, give me 100lm of accurate colours over 500lm of washed out faded colours(subjective as its not everyone's priority).:)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
from the zebra thread post: #395
I got mine today from the new batch. Beam pattern is terrible. yellow hole in the middle of the hotspot, surrounded by decent tint hotspot, surrounded by yellow ring, surrounded by decent tint spill.

What causes this? reflector? LED? centering is fine.
the XP-L2 causes it.

gunga said:
I think the latest generation of cree LEDS are prone to tint variation across the beam.
Yup, pretty much any recent Cree LED that has the full phosphor layer, the ones where the entire top side of the package is yellow to the edges, has that terrible off-color corona. XP-G3s, XP-L2s, the new XHP50.2s, etc. Ugh.

this report explains the reason for the tint shift:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54987
EasyB said:
pronounced angular/spatial "tint shift" in the beam which was distracting and hindered object identification. In this post I will explain these observations as resulting from the new "flip-chip" architecture that the XPG3 uses.
Conclusions:
The actual XPG3 die luminance is relatively low (compared to dedomed XPL V6 and XPG2), as several in-flashlight measurements suggested. The flip-chip architecture used by the XPG3 causes light to escape to the sides which caused errors in bare die luminance measurements. The total lumen output is high, but significant amounts of that light emanate from the area to the sides of the die. This fact causes the undesirable tint-shift in flashlight beams.

I think:
"any recent Cree LED that has the full phosphor layer" = flip-chip architecture = XP-L2 in new Zebras

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
The Zanflare F2 is advertised as having an XP-G3. However, pictures on the product page and discussion on the BLF review thread indicate that it's actually using the XP-G2. I have a review sample coming tomorrow and I'll confirm what is in mine too.

The Sofirn SP31 & SP32 use the XP-L2 V6 3D.

Thorfire is also coming out with at a minimum 2 lights using the XP-L2 V6 3D on top of them using it in the Q8 (so at least 3 lights).

Last edited:

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
I happened to know some used XHP70 like Fenix TK47UE, really a super bright torch. For xhp70.2 and others, so far not much information. But I think it's necessary to be up-to-date.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't afford to replace all of my lights for every new generation of LED's. Someday, there will be a Hi CRi XHP900.8. I'll upgrade then. Output is subservient to beam tint and thermal management.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Acebeam k30 has the xhp70.2

Thanks Mark. I noticed that. It looks like it has many features that I'd like. Compact, yet powerful and with a moonlight mode and tailstanding capability.

The advertised 5200 lumens steps down quickly from what I can gather from the incomplete specs. How quickly I don't know.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Jetbeam TH20

Thanks. Looks very similar to the Nitecore Tiny Monster TM03 which uses the generation 1 XHP70.
The Jetbeam TH20 uses the XHP70.2 and they've bumped up the output.

Although I really like the design, The Acebeam K30 seems a better option as its a little more compact (shorter) even though it uses 3 18650s, instead of 1 enabling it to achieve higher outputs and longer runtimes. It also tailstands and has a genuine moonlight mode of 2 lumens compared to the Jetbeam's low of 15 lumens.

You are right easilyled. This is also my discovery. The new CREE XHP70.2 is a monster emitter. It reaches its maximum lumens potential with torches brilliantly modded by Vinh. Or something like the Haikelite with 4 x 18650, or like you mentioned the Acebeam K30 with 3 x 18650. Any less battery density and it doesn't feel like oneself is getting the bang for one's hard-earned dollar. :drunk:

Thanks. Looks very similar to the Nitecore Tiny Monster TM03 which uses the generation 1 XHP70.
The Jetbeam TH20 uses the XHP70.2 and they've bumped up the output.

Although I really like the design, The Acebeam K30 seems a better option as its a little more compact (shorter) even though it uses 3 18650s, instead of 1 enabling it to achieve higher outputs and longer runtimes. It also tailstands and has a genuine moonlight mode of 2 lumens compared to the Jetbeam's low of 15 lumens.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
O wow thank you Tachead. I need to look at Zebralight. I also noticed last night that Acebeam has released an upgraded Gen 2 version of their X45. Pretty neat for the newbie looking to jump on the Ultra-high output bandwagon.

No problem S&R:thumbsup:. Zebralight's are awesome lights and there are a bunch of new lights that just opened up to pre-order using the XHP50.2.