Any of your computer guys buy a SSD (solid state disk) yet?

prof

Enlightened
The hosting company I use recently switched to ssd drives. That says a lot. We'll see how it goes--I keep good backups!

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hosting company I use recently switched to ssd drives.

Probably because web hosting typically involves a lot of random / non sequential reads, which SSDs are good at. Otherwise, they are an expensive performance option that I feel are only worth it for laptops.

For really intensive database I/O I try to get as much running in RAM as possible.

Then again, basing storage performance in a laptop is like using a Dodge Neon to reference 0-60 acceleration. Laptop I/O is horrendous to begin with, so it needs any help it can get.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting to buy one for my gaming machine but the SSD's just aren't quite there yet. I'm looking forward to them though. Tom's Hardware has done some good testing on SSD's if you happen to make it over there.

+1
What he said. Definitely will have one in the near future. I anticipate I'm going to need a new window$ box for Star Trek Online, Starcraft II, and who knows what else... so I'll likely run from an SSD drive.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
From what I've been reading SSDs should reach price parity with magnetic disks in anywhere from 5 to 10 years. I know that's a large range, but in the computer industry making predictions even 1 year out is fraught with difficulty. Long before price parity is reached, there may be compelling reasons for SSDs to make huge penetrations into the conventional drive market. While I may not be willing to pay ~$600 for a 250 GB SSD, such an SSD for around $75 to $100 would be quite attractive. That's still several times the price per GB of magnetic disks, but the premium would be worth the extra money. So IMO SSDs don't need to reach price parity with magnetic disks to take over a large segment of the market. If they can get within a factor of five or less that'll be good enough.

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
I use a Ozc Vertex 30Gb on my windows 7 gaming pc for os. I dissabled page file, and everything works youst fine. Windows 7 is tuned to perform well with ssd.