and lots of other lights
but my micro illuminator is on my car keys
so away from home or my car it's the one
it was pretty cheap compared to other lights
it really amazes friends who see it in the dark

cy

Flashaholic
Form follows function...

If it doesn't perform, it's got no place in my arsenal of tools.

Arc AAA-P still the best, so it's my backup light. Of the lights you can actually buy. Firefly has the best form factor, so it's my EDC.

The timeless, Arc LS first run #22, #50, #97, #100 W/bare NX-01 and three twisty packs (1xAA, 2xAA, 1x123) is still the most versatile Luxeon light.

Mclux X3T has the highest output to size ratio, so it's my little light cannon.

I suspect a L1-PR-T TWOJ 917 has the best throw for a small light. I'll find out when it comes in shortly.

Even though I carry some very rare lights (arc AAA is reasonably priced), don't consider myself a flashlight snob. I just like the best in my tools (I've also got a full arsenal of Snap-On tools).

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy -

Mclux X3T and L1-PR-T TWOJ 917. Suhhwheat.

Wish I had those. Outstanding tools, yes but I consider them also to be exotics. Humorous that one member refers to the DB917 as a Porsche.

arewethereyetdad -

I'm just so pleased with the VIP I can't quite describe it without going into a 200 word allocution. Still playing with optic options and I'm really liking the reflector.

==========
- Jeff

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
arewethereyetdad said:
Cy, if form factor's what you're looking for, nothing beats the VIP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I got in too late to get a VIP. Snoze you lose.

I still think firefly has a better form factor for an EDC, for me anyways (VIP too big for me to EDC).

Small with max output, Li14430 has it beat. still remains to be seen if you can actually buy one. Huge Manufacturer liability issues handling a bare Li-ion cell. We may never see it in production in it's current form.

Icebreak, I, too, am infatuated with the whole VIP thing - the feel of the light in my hand, the perfect position of the kroll between the "crown" prongs, the knurling, the weight. I have big hands and it fits so well. That's one reason I have been reluctant to use a smaller light as an EDC. The SF E1e with a KL1 head was pretty close to the right size, but the output was so weak. The next best light to the VIP for form factor (from my standpoint) is the McLux TK.

Cy, if you want to shell out the big bucks (and, actually, it may be worth it), check out the VIP on eBay right now.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no Surefires, lithium are not my thing
I have no Arc LS, my BB500 R2H is the king
The 2D Mag driving a 3 watt R2H causes retinal duress
Soon upsurped by another 2D Mag with bin code WX1S

nFlex, X3T, Artic Silver, heat sinks and Nickle Metal Hydride
Is the language of the modders, in their world they confide
"It might take too long, cost too much but it is a hellava ride"
Every time it is used, as the photons take flight
To observe your creation and think "Yes, I got it right"

It is very easy to purchase a flashlight and be done with it. It is a new level of pain/pleasure to design and build one. It does make the disease worse though, the next better bin code, the more effecient regulator, the higher capacity NiMH, a more effective heat sink and the always evolving optics. Instead of keeping up with flashlights, you have to pay attention to all the parts as they evolve.

If I were you...I would take a camping trip for three weeks out in the middle of nowere. Bring all your lights and after a few weeks, think about the ones that you used most. After that, try to laugh at an Arc AAA

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, since joining the CPF I have looked down my nose at almost anything found in normal, retail, stores. We don't have any good camping/climbing outfitting shops in the county, that some of you have access to. We don't even have a Batteries Plus and Wallmart has, only, a poor selection.

Inexpensive lights that are of unusually high value continue to impress me, but they are the exceptions.

I'd prefer to support local businesses but instead I buy from CPF supporting dealers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BentHeadTX said: "...After that, try to laugh at an Arc AAA"

I wouldn't laugh at any Arc. Or any Surefire. Or any of the great mods. In fact, I don't think I laugh at any flashlight (except maybe those el-cheapo plastic disposable keychain lights). All lights serve a purpose. I actually use my Arc AA for reading in bed (so as not to wake the wife).

My point was...my flashlight addiction is always for the "newest drugs!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

haley1

Enlightened
I remember being happy with my mini-mag. Now I laugh at my cohorts that use them and gleefully blind them with my E2. I never thought I would pay $160 for a light and yet I'm waiting on the holy grail for $260, and waiting, and waiting. So I admit it, I've become a snob. But only because I found this place, and I can't even remember how I stumbled upon it.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked my solitare now I have a arc aaa-p
and a micro illuminator

and I love my lsh-p
and my scorpion
tt2l etc

Latest posts