Any Recommendations for a bicycle light?

GlowBike

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Padhraic Drakonchik:
Yo, GlowBike .... are those Specialized Afterburner tail-lights awesome or what? Did you get the larger, more powerful one? However, I thought the "universal" bracket was poor design ...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, the Afterburner is amazing. Mine's a little different from the ones they show on the current website ... it has a single LED and is driven by 2 "N" batteries, but has a longer shape, not like the current Sport model. It puts out an incredible amount of light for a single LED - just about as much as my 7-LED Eclipse. I guess the key is the weird cone-shaped optics thingie it has. Whatever it is, it sure works. I only paid $8 for it, on sale at my LBS last year. And I agree the mounting bracket is garbage: I can't get the light to release from the bracket anymore, and a buddy of mine who has the same light has the same problem with his.

Here's a link to the Specialized site, for anyone who's interested: http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSection.jsp?san=03EquipLights&browselevel=top

Denny Francisco

Newly Enlightened
I have been night road cycling for a number of years. One and two watt headlights make you visible, but are way too weak to see chuckholes and road debris safely. The minimum I suggest for riding at 15 mph is 10 watts, and at 18-20 mph, 15 watts. My current light is a NightRider Digital Headtrip, with a single beam on the helmet adjustable for 6, 10, or 15 watts. The 15 watt level burns for about 100 minutes. The NiMh battery pack fits in my jersey pocket and the whole system weighs under 600 grams. Okay, it's pricey, but I really enjoy night riding and I definitely got my money's worth out of it. Heck, it's equivalent to the combined cost of an Arc LSH-P and an Arc AAA.

I LOVE having the beam on my helmet for going around corners, reading road signs and, of course, for shining deer. The earlier discussion of the "cam effect" is interesting and important, although I ride a recumbent and am more likely to have arm and leg rash than whiplash. On long night rides, I'll either go slower and use the 160 minute 10-watt setting or take along a flashlight as backup. The LEDs don't have enough throw to get that beam out 15 feet in front of you for safety, but the above comment on their utility for being seen, especially when flashing is so true. Keep in mind most bicycle accidents involving cars are NOT from the rear, but from on-coming cars making left turns and not seeing you!

I'm eager to try a double luxeon headlight to see it's utility, but as beautiful as the beam is, the throw is too short for other than maybe around-the-block casual riding.

I did rig up a neat tool for attaching a small flashlight to a helmet. I attached a heavy duty rubber band(5/8" wide x 4" circumference to a small aluminum plate(1"x1.5"). A small nylon loop is attached to the other side of the aluminum plate. I slip the flashlight into the rubber band and with the nylon loop, pull the plate through the central helmet vent until the plate "clicks" flat, and, presto the light is securely fastened to the helmet. To remove, I reach inside the helmet, pull the nylon loop and simultaneously twist the aluminum plate sideways to allow the whole thing to pass out of the vent. Have used it with an E2e, a UK4AA, and a PT Rage. I only use these if I wandered too far from home and my HeadTrip has drained. To me the E2e has a beam equivalent to the HeadTrip 10W setting.

Happy riding.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of bike lights and really like the nightrider digital products. They have good waranty service too. You really don't need the digital though.

I've almost convinced myself that I should get a surefire A2 as an emergency backup on my mtn bike. Its amazing what kind of justifications I can come up with to buy more lights
smile.gif

GlowBike

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Denny Francisco:
Keep in mind most bicycle accidents involving cars are NOT from the rear, but from on-coming cars making left turns and not seeing you!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed. From what I've heard (and experienced!) the most common bike-car conflict is a car turning in front of a bike they didn't see. The second most common is a car pulling out from a stop in front of a bike they didn't see.

I recently ran across an Oregon DOT study of bicycle fatality statistics. Only 3% of the fatal accidents were due to the cyclist being hit from behind. I believe that frontal visibility is much more critical than rear visibility, especially in urban environments. (Don't get me wrong, rear's important too - I have a total of 20 blinking red LEDs on the back of my bike!)

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
And I agree the mounting bracket is garbage: I can't get the light to release from the bracket anymore, and a buddy of mine who has the same light has the same problem with his.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My local Specialized dealer tells me that he will swap whatever jammed/broken/questionable Specialized light parts I need for free, no questions asked. I gathered that given the arrangement he has with Specialized, it's no loss to his store. So maybe you can cut that Afterburner out of the bracket or even replace the whole thing for free from your own local. If not, I could mail you the original crappy bracket that I never used, assuming the "Pro" model fits what you have.

By the way, I will post pics of my Mag bike handlebar harness soon hopefully. . . . sorry for the delay . . . .

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I won't be adding to these great comments, just voicing support for NiteRider and Light & Motion lights.

I used the NiteRider 6W (helmet) & 12W dual beam(bar-mount) halogen NiCd systems for years. They were great. I especially loved having the handlebar switch. Eventually the NiCd's died and it was time to get even brighter light because I was riding even more dangerously in the woods.

I bought a L&M HID handlebar mount. It's fantastic, and although it does do a noticeable red-shift when it's shaken hard, I don't notice that when I'm riding the rough stuff.

I liked that HID light so much that I've submitted to buying their helmet mounted light too. (It should arrive on Monday!
grin.gif
) Now, of course, if my bike breaks I'm in trouble because I've blown the budget on lights but I will have had lots of fun just before that final nighttime crash!
wink.gif