Any Surefire Z-series addicts out there?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Not sure if this is what Dave D meant, but are you supplying these hosts without combat rings? Or do you mean that you don't supply the combat rings as a separate item?

Sorry for the confusion. These bodies did not come with combat rings and I have not been able to source them. These new hosts will be available in several configurations, but none will include combat rings.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
FWIW for whomever might be interested I was able to find a decent substitute for the SF combat rings at Home Depot.
Rubber grommets - they had the correct ID and pretty close to the correct OD, but being grommets they had a slot running around the OD.
Works fine, just looks a little odd that's all.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
FWIW for whomever might be interested I was able to find a decent substitute for the SF combat rings at Home Depot.
Rubber grommets - they had the correct ID and pretty close to the correct OD, but being grommets they had a slot running around the OD.
Works fine, just looks a little odd that's all.
i hope Home Depot still has those, sounds like a legit replacement
OK here we go. :)

First I tried the 3/4" grommets, since those match the ID of the original 'Z' grip ring fairly closely:

IMG_7917.jpg

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg

IMO they ended up having a too-large final OD, so I went back for a smaller 5/8" grommet:

IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_7921.jpg

IMG_7922.jpg

IMG_7923.jpg

They work very well, IMO. A tight fit, but they won't be moving around on the flashlight body at all.
The look a little odd, but feel very good in the hand - which is what counts. A very grippy rubber compound.

In the 'bolts' section (the pull-out trays), $1.17 @ Home Depot.
I do prefer the originals for appearance, but these work well in a pinch. :)

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yes. Disassembled, machined inside, machined outside, stripped, coated, machined again, and reassembled. The shaved 6P went through all the same steps, but less intensively.

OKUPANT

Newly Enlightened
Nice. Any plans on making an unbored version, for those flashaholics who prefer to use 123 primaries?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Well, its easy enough to modify less. But scale of production is up to you guys.

If these are popular enough to do more, we can offer more options.

In the mean time (or if not), we have 16mm battery sleeves.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered an Oveready 6Z on Friday. So excited. The plan is to use rubber(?) nitro fuel tubing purchased from a Radio Control Car Retailer to make a lanyard for it that utilizes knots for finger rests (cigar grip). The concept has been proven on an Oveready slim body. The lanyard is continuous around the wrist with a simple overhand knot where it meets the body and a knot on the other side of the body where the ends of the lanyard tube meet.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums