Anyone else disappointed w G2L?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Let's not inflate Surefire's specs as well:

"And it continues producing useful light levels for an impressive 12 hours on a single set of batteries."

MAX is claimed to be 80 lumens, but they don't say for how long you will get 80 lumens. It could be the first 5-10 minutes, first hour, first 4 hours, etc. It says it will produce useful light for 12 hours. My P3D Fenix will produce useful light for around 70 hours on 2xCR123a's.
Actually,SureFire's use of the term "max" relating the output is one of my biggest bugbears about their marketing. It's a blanket term they've been using for a few years and there is precious little justification for it as far as I can tell. It's simply not true that the ratings are 'max' or 'peak' 'limits'.

Regarding the runtime/output of the 6PL and G2L - SureFire have explained a bit about what to expect -

The P60L LED Module will have a 'peak' output of what SureFire are rating as 80 lumens when used 'momentarily' / briefly.

The P60L features a temperature sensor that reduces the output as the module heats up in order to prevent overheating. The constant-on output is better described as approximately 65 lumens regulated for 3 hours in the G2, or approximately 75 lumens regulated for 2 hours in the 6P. The output will then decrease considerably for another 9 hours or so of usable light.

There are few who can actually confirm a lumen rating using integrating sphere equipment but many who can perform their own output/runtime charts which in my opinion are significantly more useful than knowing the exact lumen output. I've yet to see any for the G2L or 6PL - has anybody posted one yet?

Al

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked one up and didn't think it was all that bad. I plan on trying out a CREE replacement. A friend has the Inova T4 which claims 125 lumens. They appeared to have the same output and throw. The G2L doesn't have too much throw, but I wasn't expecting it too.

The T4 is a K2 and the G2L is supposed to be an SSC P4 if I remember correctly. If that's the case, that is a little disappointing..

Size15's

Flashaholic
ampdude,
What do you find disappointing?
- The P60L's lack of throw compared to the Inova T4?
- The P60L's output appears similar to the T4 although the T4 is rated at 125 lumens compared to the P60L's rated 80 lumens?

- That output/runtime charts were not provided so that this important characteristic could not be compared/considered?

Remember that the P60L is an alternative to the P60 and as such will not have a beam optimised for throw.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
ampdude,
What do you find disappointing?
- The P60L's lack of throw compared to the Inova T4?
- The P60L's output appears similar to the T4 although the T4 is rated at 125 lumens compared to the P60L's rated 80 lumens?

- That output/runtime charts were not provided so that this important characteristic could not be compared/considered?

Remember that the P60L is an alternative to the P60 and as such will not have a beam optimised for throw.

I guess what I was getting at was I've seen beamshots of Cree and SSC lights next to the T4 and the T4 getting it's butt handed to it in output utterly and completely. So I guess I'm disappointed to hear that the new SSC Sure-Fire module has roughly the same output as the T4.

I think the T4 and other Inovas are great lights, aside from the geriatric emitter choices they make.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I didn't intend to cause such a ruckus! Comparing it to my new L1, its about the same output doing a ceiling test using the eyeball meter. And theyre are fresh batteries in the G2L. I'm hoping its possible to dismantle the module so I can swap the emitter for one of the USWOHs' I have sitting here. I did order a V25 holster with it and to my suprise, its a PERFECT match for the L1 incase anyone is interested. I'm wondering (and hoping) that Surefire will make the modules available and they won't be too expensive so us modders aren't so aprehensive about ripping apart. i will probably sell the G2L though but I can't get into the marketplace for some reason. Email me if you are interested.

EDIT: Got into CPF marketplace under the my other name KDOG4, so have at it!

Last edited:

mx125

Newly Enlightened
There are few who can actually confirm a lumen rating using integrating sphere equipment but many who can perform their own output/runtime charts which in my opinion are significantly more useful than knowing the exact lumen output. I've yet to see any for the G2L or 6PL - has anybody posted one yet?

Al

No . .but I've asked chevrofreak . .and he's added a post that he's happy to run the test. . but needs a light. If someone is close to him and owns a G2L . . .

NickDrak

Enlightened
I'm wondering (and hoping) that Surefire will make the modules available and they won't be too expensive so us modders aren't so aprehensive about ripping apart.

The P60L modules have a target intro date of Nov/07 and a retail price of $36.00

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Here I go again. This whole thread is based on subjective observation concerning the output of the G2L. CPF'ers would be well served if they purchased a simple, inexpensive lightmeter to compare their lights to each other. Simple bounce off the ceiling in a small room recording lux readings on a lightmeter will give many answers to questions about light output. Not scientific like an Integrated Sphere, but a bounce test can be repeatable, and if you compare two lights during a given time frame you will be able to compare one light against another, and see which light outputs more light and by what percentage increase. Go further and build a light box, such as used on flashlightreviews.com and you have more accurate information. And don't forget, you can always do lux measurements at one meter with your lightmeter.

Bill

dmz

Enlightened
I'm disappointed that the G2L did not come with a nitrolon clickie.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
Here I go again. This whole thread is based on subjective observation concerning the output of the G2L. CPF'ers would be well served if they purchased a simple, inexpensive lightmeter to compare their lights to each other. Simple bounce off the ceiling in a small room recording lux readings on a lightmeter will give many answers to questions about light output. Not scientific like an Integrated Sphere, but a bounce test can be repeatable, and if you compare two lights during a given time frame you will be able to compare one light against another, and see which light outputs more light and by what percentage increase. Go further and build a light box, such as used on flashlightreviews.com and you have more accurate information. And don't forget, you can always do lux measurements at one meter with your lightmeter.

Bill

How sensitive would a bounce test with light meter record variance in output? In other words, if I wanted to test a light for 'rough' regulation would that 100 through 80% through 60% type of drop-off be measurable? If so, it would probably serve a lot of the need for a ballpark runtime pattern and time . . as well as comparison of outputs. I've never used a light meter . .so just don't know how that might play out.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, the lightmeter would be sensitive enought to notice the drop in output. In fact they are usually very sensitive to the slightest fluxuations. I check all of my new lights for drop off after they are turned on. When drop offs are extreme, like 10% fairly quick after turn on, it is usually due to quick heat build up, probable heat sinking issues. The Seoul P4's can have real heat sink issues, and I would always check output drop off when I receive a newly Seoul'd modded light. Lux V is the king of heat issues, particularly with the KL4, and surprise, surprise, the KL6 which in actuality is not well heatsinked. A drop of 5-7% will often occur with many Luxeon, Seoul, or Cree'd led lights, followed by a stable flat runtime.

Yes, a simple lightmeter can tell a lot.

Bill

Bill

mx125

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the lightmeter would be sensitive enought to notice the drop in output. In fact they are usually very sensitive to the slightest fluxuations. I check all of my new lights for drop off after they are turned on. When drop offs are extreme, like 10% fairly quick after turn on, it is usually due to quick heat build up, probable heat sinking issues. The Seoul P4's can have real heat sink issues, and I would always check output drop off when I receive a newly Seoul'd modded light. Lux V is the king of heat issues, particularly with the KL4, and surprise, surprise, the KL6 which in actuality is not well heatsinked. A drop of 5-7% will often occur with many Luxeon, Seoul, or Cree'd led lights, followed by a stable flat runtime.

Yes, a simple lightmeter can tell a lot.

Bill

Bill

That's very interesting. I need to do a search on "lightmeters" then . .and research that cost/quality.

Given that . . i would think that there would be owners of the G2L that own light meters that can do a ballpark runtime on regulation (say over 85%). No graph but would clear up the big questions.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
And a datalogging lightmeter can tell a whole lot. Capture the data, import to Excel, plot graph... Compare to other lights... It's an eye opener.

Dr.K

Enlightened
I just got my G2L, and I am not dissappointed in the least. It does have a slightly bluish "tint", but far from some of the older led lights I own. If the runtime is close to what surefire claims, then I will be impressed. It also feels very good in my hand. I like the lower "gravity interface" of nitrolon.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my G2L today! I'm not disappointed at all. I love this ****ing bugger! Tint isn't blueish at all, it seems slightly warm to me. Almost pure white. The beam is slightly ringy at close range but at over 1 meter, they are hard to see. Another happy SF customer! ^_^

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A lot of CPF folks use the Meterman LM631. If you want some interesting info go to threads of ihterest in the flashlight electronic, batteries, etc. forum, and click on Lightmeter Benchmark testing.

Bill

iholla

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Yellow G2l and love the output of it:twothumbs

I was comparing it tomy Reg G2 and Im liking the LED better--not to mention hella long run time:twothumbs