anyone have a 300gig hard drive in their computer?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been many barriers that needed to be overcome since the first microcomputer hard drives. 137GB is just the latest. I got my first hard dirve around 1983 and it was a 10 MB Miniscribe. I've seen a lot of barriers.

You don't need third party software. XP, or Win2k, can partition and format it with Disk Management. Right click on My Computer, click Manage > Storage > Disk Management. It will create any size partition with NTFS, but will create a maximum of 40GB partition if you specify FAT32. You can use other means to create bigger FAT partitions.

NTFS is more reliable. The reason XP supports FAT32 is for people who still run Win98. FAT32 limits file size to 4GB. This could be a problem if you have video files. I would only use FAT32 if I wanted to sit there and watch the OS scan the entire disk when I boot up after an improper shutdown. Well if you like to discover those "file000.chk" files from time to time, sort of like Christmas presents, then FAT is the way to go.

If you make the drive into one big partition and subsequently decide you want more partitions, you would need third party software like Partition Magic. I never used it because I don't trust it. Windows can delete and create partitions, but it can't resize an existing one except by deletion and creation, which would destroy any data on the partition.

I've got 15 partitions on my two internal drives and I haven't run out of letters yet. I suppose if I plugged in all my external drives at the same time I would have to switch to the russian alphabet.

Clipboard02.png

Last edited:

Roy82

Newly Enlightened
I have my 250gig in 3 NTFS partitions. I boot from a slipstreamed W2k (sp4) CD for a fresh install and set the partitions from there.

I like to keep the OS and programs on the first partition, since I believe its the fastest section of the drive. Swap file has its own, the second, and 220gig storage for digital pics, games, downloads etc on the third

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
How about running your current drive, with just the OS partition and move the remainder partitions to external hardrives via USB 2.0?
I've seen terabyte units Fry's for a good price.
That eliminates the headache of OS barriers.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping a small drive for the OS is actually something I'm considering now. I wouldn't use my current drive because it is 3 or 4 years old and I have no faith in hard drives manufactured since the collapse. This is also why whatever I put in the machine for data storage I will put TWO of them in there, so I could put in a pair of 300's for instance. (This week OfficeMax has the Western Digital 320G on sale for $100.)

As a sidelight, my small company started 4 years ago, and bought 5 new computers at that time. All of them had mirrored hard drives. In a period of 3 years, 4 of the 5 computers each had at least one hard drive fail. Because of the mirrored arrangement we could install a new drive and keep right on running with no data loss, no time wasted reinstalling software, and more importantly no time wasted by the long and complicated process of configuring our CAD and engineering software. I'm convinced that the first step in data security involves some form of RAID.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put 120G in my laptop a couple months ago.
10G for the XP that came with the laptop if I ever need it
10G Linux
2G Linux swap
95ish for data