anyone know about property taxes in georgia?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i sold my home in june bought new home in july. why do i owe the full amount of property taxes on both homes? seems unfair to me. id say it would be fair if i pay taxes half on both homes. i already payed taxes on new home the entire amount but now the old city says i owe the full amount there is this a scam?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps sorry for so many stupid questions id ask dad but he is decased and im between therapist

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats what i thought im very sure i payed them at closeing.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but if its still in my name is that better id still own it? ill admit at closeing i just wanted to go home all them in suits talking words i dont understand. whats worse is when i got new home i had to go to ankter closeing but them lawyers understood i had autism and explain it clearly but still wore suits me in walmart jeans lol

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The taxes should be pro rated from Jan. 1 until the day you closed the deal on the home you sold, and that would have been deducted from your proceeds on the HUD-1 closing statement. On your new home, you should get taxed from the day you closed until the end of the year.

Some courthouses don't update their records very often. I gotten MANY calls from sellers who got another tax bill for their old home from the previous year. It's a mistake, and you may have to go to the assessor's office and have them forward the bill to the new owners.

Regarding the suits - as a Realtor, I asked many clients my first year, "would you rather have your agent show up in a suit and tie, or in casual clothes like Bob Vila, with a tape measure and a flashlight on his belt, ready to crawl into an attic or under a crawl space?" They ALL preferred the latter, and since that's how my broker / owner dressed, I did too. I wore the suit for my photo, and that's it. For closings, I'd wear dress pants and a dress shirt, but suits are over-rated, although they do have their place and time.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
at closing the buyer should have paid you for the taxes you paid prorated till the end of the year on your old home and you should have paid the seller for the taxes that they paid on your new home. but now it's a new tax year so you will have to pay the taxes on your new home for 2024 either in full upfront (most states) or in two payments one in January and one around may (some states).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
give me bob villa anyday im In my 50s fanciest close i ever wore was when i sold that home. i bought one of my first jeans brand new .got my dad old jeans most the time before which was great but im a lot smaller then he was lol. even my new jeans dont fit me walmart only had jeans for biger guys im 31 inch waist and 28 lengh they dont sell them at are walmart . but i still liked haveing new jeans there called rustler but made by wrangler which is name brand

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i payed my taxes on new home in august i forget date for sure but i paid them. because i forget stuff wanted to be sure i paid already paid motorcycle taxes for same reason. they wont let me pay for 2024 they said il have to wait...sucks hiw much my taxes went up on old home seems so unfair to tax someone out of there own home but thats life. weird thing is the city gave me no services back then i didnt even have a motorcycle so i didnt use roads. i had to pay to get my garbage removed monthly...btw can they take my new home from me for taxes owed on old home? i still live in same state but not same city or county. ill pay them if i owe them but i cant do it today itS A lot kf money a whole lot i payed the taxes on old home always on time well to 2023 but i didnt even know i owed them 2023 till i went online. ps ty for all your help i can fix cars and computers but suck at this stuff im the worse at understanding words in writeting

The invoice you received on your former property might have been sent due their records not being updated (as previously stated) perhaps by an automated system.

I don't believe you could have avoided paying them at closing.

Contact the agency the invoice came from. Your closing documents should list your prorated property tax that was withheld by the escrow company.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
2024 taxes on your old house should have been paid at closing if you owed any. if they sent you a bill for 2025 on your old house and you sold it in 2024, the new owner has to pay it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw at one point the state or country sent someone to my house to help me with this stuff but this was years ago not sure why they dont do it anymore..i can fix stuff build stuff i can talk tech all day in person .but even locals if they ask my how to get to walmart i dont know how to tell to tell them even thou i kow how how to get there but i just do it i dont know what streets to turn on i just turn at bridge then church then at zaxbys.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ty everyone i was so scaraed they will take my new home even thou i payed taxes early on it..plus new city is way nicer .i just wnet to court house and they helped me. btw court house is so coool its a very old buildingi imagine all the history but i do t think i ever seen a court season there but i think i met the judge andi know the sherriff

btw at one point the state or country sent someone to my house to help me with this stuff but this was years ago not sure why they dont do it anymore..i can fix stuff build stuff i can talk tech all day in person .but even locals if they ask my how to get to walmart i dont know how to tell to tell them even thou i kow how how to get there but i just do it i dont know what streets to turn on i just turn at bridge then church then at zaxbys.
When asked for directions, just tell them - "You can't get there from here." 😁 Don't forget to shake yer head.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ty for being nice everyone i swear i was thinking of just taking offf insead of them taking my new house which i. already payed taxes on. i figure id just build a solar system and use my ebike to go to cali. id take motorcycle but if i had a flat the ebike is way easier to change tire on. i do dumb stuff somedays .i swear im trying to get a new therapist but we dont have many localy or any columbus is a far ride

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm just now back online after my earlier reply. Is that what it was, just the bill sent to you by mistake? You didn't owe anything?
i dont know i went online and i checked my name and it said i owed like 2770 bucks for 2023 . i suck atbthis stuff

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some localities charge for the entire year even if you left. A nearby county in my area charges you for a whole year no matter when you left. Buy a home or car on December 31 and you pay taxes for that entire year. Stupid I know but it's legal for them to do that.

When I lived in a city in North Carolina you paid the city and the county that the city is in.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but can they can take my new house? if i owe ill pay but it will take me a year to do so. or ill just sell new. home and pay them when i sell