Anyone have a photo or link to a picture of a flashlight from the 80's (The Brute)

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a photo or link to a picture of a flashlight from the 80\'s (The Brute)

would like to find a photo of this rugged light.

DonL

Enlightened
Re: Anyone have a photo or link to a picture of a flashlight from the 80\'s (The Brute)

I thought that I'd seen one about a week ago, but couldn't retrace my steps with the short "History" duration I have the browser set to.

Is it anything like the "Ultra Brute"?
01276.jpg

rlhess

Enlightened
Re: Anyone have a photo or link to a picture of a flashlight from the 80\'s (The Brute)

I had one but discovered it didn't like gasoline much...

As I recall, it was black plastic that had longitudinal ribs about 3/32 wide spaced about 1/4 inch apart (i.e. more hole than rib). It had a slide switch with a white button. RayOVac, right?

Sorry, no pic no lite.

Richard

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still have one, though I lost the endcap switch. No pics, unfortunately. Cold Steel sold it for a while, then US Cavalry picked it up for a while.

It was a 7xAA light, aluminum flashlight with very thick walls, purposely made heavy to function as a heavier weapon. QA wasn't the best, by all reports.

Joe

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Joe is correct. This is a metal bodied light, not a plastic light. It is long and realatively thin for its length. Was distributed by Cold Steel and US Cavalry.

DonL

Enlightened

Oh, I remember those now. Wasn't what I thought it was.

Didn't they sell those through Cutlery Shoppe as well?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know, I loved the concept of that light. 7AAs can get you a very bright light. Plus, as a backup striking weapon, it was second to none is flashlight land. Aside from being a good weight, it was thin enough in diameter to actually be easy to hold onto.

Aside from QA, the other problem was the "tactical-style" end switch. Shoulda been more like Maglite style.

Joe

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened

What kinda chickenfeces flashlightoholic outfit is this? Sheesh!
grin.gif

Seeing as Webshots doesn't allow direct image linking anymore the best I can do is give you this LINK

Tombeis

Enlightened

rycen:

The light they are talking about may be the one that fits the odd extention tube I sent you.

Raven

Enlightened

Does anyone know if this flashlight is still commercially available? I'm also wondering if Cold Steel stopped selling it, because it didn't meet their quality levels.

Raven

rycen

Enlightened

Well I do not have that one but I have something similar.It is a 7C cell Kel lite,I guess that would be the big brute.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

rycen: The brute has such thick aluminum walls -- at least double that of your Kel lite -- that the Brute is actually the heavier of the brothers! I have a 6C Maglite that I use in place of my Brute, though it's a little too short. Are those 7C Kel lites still around, and if so, any idea where I can get them?

Joe

rycen

Enlightened

I do not know of a place to get them.I got mine a long time ago,better beam than mag too.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:
rycen: The brute has such thick aluminum walls -- at least double that of your Kel lite -- that the Brute is actually the heavier of the brothers! I have a 6C Maglite that I use in place of my Brute, though it's a little too short. Are those 7C Kel lites still around, and if so, any idea where I can get them?

Joe
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can ridiculously easily make a 6D Mag into a 7C.... my 6D was two 3D early 80's Rayovac Mag-Like lights with fixed focus. With 7Cs it throws a bright and remarkably smooth beam.
tongue.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, but I think in this case, it's obvious there's a self-defense undertone; that's what the Brute was all about. D-lights, because of how thick they are, are IMO a way inferior choice to a C-based light for this purpose. In short, a 6-C light is way better than any D-based light(whether or not that light has been converted to use C batteries).

Joe