Anyone have/used the TLE-310M-EX MiniStar31M-EX drop-in for D Mags yet?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a search but not seen much.

The store I buy from only had these in in the last of Dec, so I assume they are new.

Hope I can link to their site?? (sorry if not)
http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/TerraLUX_TLE-310M-Ex_MiniStar31M-Ex.html

I
f I can't link, then the stats from their site are:

Fits MagLite® 4-6 D-cell
• Multi-mode function: (high/medium/low), user configurable to single mode via switch on side of module
• Electronically regulated for constant light output
• Extends battery runtime
• Approximate runtimes:
2 hours on high (1,000 lumens)
6 hours on medium (500 lumens)
37 hours on low (<100 lumens)
• Saves money- stop replacing bulbs
• Includes LEDSense thermal management for maximum light output and reliability under the most extreme conditions

I know that 1000 lumen must be at the LED, but reckon it should still hugely modernise an old 4D cell incan Mag.

Would love to see some beam shots or here some info from anyone that has this?

Thanks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a 3 LED single brightness in a Magcharger. Besides way blueish tint it is BRIGHT!

It is also 3 or 4 years old. The new one should be better tint and HELL YEAH it'll make that 4D into something better!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I ordered and received one of these a couple of days ago.

I rather like things like DIY P7 mods for Mags. I know that the SSC P7 is no longer the flavour of the month - what with the SST-50s, XM-Ls and so forth - but it still makes for a nice Mag mod when paired with a suitable reflector, and a classic step in the path of light customisers. I bought mine to replace an earlier TLE-300M that I purchased before I had any experience in making modifications myself.

However, if a simply installed MagD drop-in is what you are after, this is certainly worth a look.

For someone who is already familiar with some earlier versions of this module, the new version is brighter, much whiter (no blue/violet tint here) and has a much cleaner beam. You don't have that odd spiky pattern. It also has the advantage of the three brightness settings, though users of the intermediate model - the TLE-300M EX - will already be familiar with that. For those of us with the oldest modules, or newer, but only single mode versions, this is a nice increase in versatility without having to do any additional work to change the driver.

Looking at this as an upgrade to an incandescent Mag, with no prior experience of other models, you get bright, white light. You also get a beam combining a bright hot spot, a slightly less bright corona around the centre, and then a wide spill of fairly bright light around that. No need to adjust between flood and spot light - you have a mix of the two - and no big black hole in the centre of the beam when set to flood. OK, it can't throw it's beam as far as a Maglite can, but that is really the Maglite's speciality. Instead, you get a single beam pattern that is good for most situations. You get multiple modes. All improvements to my mind.

Unless you like the large 4D Mags, there are options that would allow you to use this module with a 2D Mag - it's just handier to carry, although the runtime would be reduced. There are 6AA to 2D battery adapters that you could use, or two 32650/26650/18650 li-ion cells could be used in series.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great info!

I know the Mags are a bit old school in size/weight terms. But I hate to have stuff that doesn't get used, so if I can 'modernise' them and make them useful, all the better.

Also as a rule the Mags are in one or the other of my cars for emergency use. So the massive run times offered by the D cells actually play in their favour.

Cheers.