Anyone here using windows 8 that acutally likes it?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
But no one likes 8.1 it is complete rubbish and suffers from the normal Windows policy avoid the next generation after the one you like.

Ok you do but in general here and on many forums regardless of hobby most do not like it,is that better for you.

braddy

Enlightened
But no one likes 8.1 it is complete rubbish and suffers from the normal Windows policy avoid the next generation after the one you like.

Many of us like 8.1, for me, going from XP to 8.1 was a huge improvement.

heelsthrow

Newly Enlightened
I do not hate it and I do not love it either. It is just good enough.Better compared to vista.

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
Im using it but its modded to act like 7.

Boots to login screen then goes straight to desktop, also using Start8 to get a usable start menu back.
Its much, MUCH faster than 7.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Im using it but its modded to act like 7.

Boots to login screen then goes straight to desktop, also using Start8 to get a usable start menu back.
Its much, MUCH faster than 7.
Is it easy enough that you'd suggest for everyone to make the change from 7 to 8?

Been mostly happy with 7 for the last couple years, but your statement regarding speed and the Start8 option has me wondering if I should be ready to make the change or not.

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
Is it easy enough that you'd suggest for everyone to make the change from 7 to 8?

Been mostly happy with 7 for the last couple years, but your statement regarding speed and the Start8 option has me wondering if I should be ready to make the change or not.

I made one or two registry tweaks using an online guide and that was about it. But I'd wait until windows 10 comes out at this point. Just downloaded the preview and it looks promising

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I made one or two registry tweaks using an online guide and that was about it. But I'd wait until windows 10 comes out at this point. Just downloaded the preview and it looks promising
I might go for windows 10 if it was already available but after doing a little reading it sounds like going to windows 8.1 might be a good immediate plan.

Funny that they decided to skip windows 9 and just go with 10, like they thought we wouldn't notice?!?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windows 8.1 Update 1 is completely solid in my experience. Any complaints are purely aesthetic and subjective.

gunga

Flashaholic
Windows 10? WTH? Weird. I too am using Windows 8 with start 8 to make it look like windows 7. I like it. Seems quite a bit faster, tho I am not comparing using the same hardware so it may not be fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Windows 10? WTH? Weird. I too am using Windows 8 with start 8 to make it look like windows 7. I like it. Seems quite a bit faster, tho I am not comparing using the same hardware so it may not be fair.
Well it's sounding more compelling to make the change now with all the new input from you guys.

At present I thinking I'll probably go for Windows 8 and get the Start 8 as well.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Windows 8.1 Update 1 is completely solid in my experience. Any complaints are purely aesthetic and subjective.
Not really. Windows 8.x requires establishing a Microsoft account for store etc like Google forces same for Android. I find that unnecessary and invasive. Also, if you shut off UAC you cannot USE the stupid Windows store nor update 8.0 to 8.1. Windows 8.x is a mobile platform forced into a computer.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really. Windows 8.x requires establishing a Microsoft account for store etc like Google forces same for Android. I find that unnecessary and invasive. Also, if you shut off UAC you cannot USE the stupid Windows store nor update 8.0 to 8.1. Windows 8.x is a mobile platform forced into a computer.

Apart from the fact the Microsoft store is full of crap and useless, there is no requirement to sign up a Microsoft account. You don't need one to have a user account on the computer, you don't need one to get windows updates. You don't NEED one at all. A lot of people already have Microsoft accounts anyway - got a Hotmail address? A store account is not "unnecessary and invasive" it's a store account. Every online store needs an account. You'd better get used to the idea ;)

These days, apart from trying to remove the occasional prompt, I find no reason to disable UAC. You may have some small-time software that doesn't like it, and that's a valid reason to kill it, but for the most part, just leave it alone.

recDNA

Flashaholic
You cannot update from 8.0 to 8.1 without an account I tried and it kept telling me to sign in to windows store. I need UAC shut off for home security software I use and find UAC utterly useless anyway. I do agree Windows store is crap but that helps prove my point. Windows store does not even screen malware.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I update customers systems from 8 to 8.1 on a daily basis without having a store account. I have no idea why you're being asked for one.

Latest posts