Anyone here using windows 8 that acutally likes it?

Empath

Flashaholic
Efforts to turn the discussion into an Apple versus PC argument has resulted in some posts being removed, including the expected follow-up rebuttal.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is absolute dross and worst waste of money i have ever spent.I am sticking to Chromebook and the W8 device can rot here for all i care.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actualy come to like Windows 8.1 Update 1. It's the line in the sand for me, it finally feels like a finished product.

fyrstormer

Banned
Not surprising. A product as complex as a modern operating system is impossible to finish without enormous amounts of user feedback. The easiest way to get that feedback is to deliver the product in a stable-but-unpolished state.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I almost bought a Nokia Lumia last December (they were on sale.) The deal breaker for me was the fact that it uses Windows 8. I avoid Windows at ALL costs. I needed a new phone, so I bought the Alacatel 871A, which I am please with for the most part. The other day; I tried programming a scanner (Uniden BC75xlt) with a Windows 7 computer and eventually gave up. All of this foolishness with having the right driver really irks me. Why can't there be any plug and play features with Microsoft? If I ever buy a computer with Windows on it again, I will simply format the hard drive and install one of the current Ubuntu flavors on there.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I have 8 on a backup laptop-not very excited about it, my desktop has 7 and I like it but some websites think its 10 years old, so I have to use google browser for them. I hope the one after 8 is more friendly

recDNA

Flashaholic
I can't tell you how often I have some problem in Windows 8.1 in which I get an answer like, "yes, you could easily address that in Windows 7 settings but it is no longer accessible without using the command bar" followed by instructions I fear to even try. It's nice I don't HAVE to see the metro screen on startup but I don't want it to even exist. I also do not want to be forced to have in account in the windows store. Windows 8.x is a phone/tablet ui jammed down the throat of computer users.

Canuke

Enlightened
Speaking for myself, I spend very little computer time actually dealing with the OS; I'm in a game, a web browser, or in professional graphics software. As long as those run, I'm not worked up about what OS it is, *except* that I restrict all "sensitive" work (like banking) to the ubuntu boxes.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't tell you how often I have some problem in Windows 8.1 in which I get an answer like, "yes, you could easily address that in Windows 7 settings but it is no longer accessible without using the command bar" followed by instructions I fear to even try. It's nice I don't HAVE to see the metro screen on startup but I don't want it to even exist. I also do not want to be forced to have in account in the windows store. Windows 8.x is a phone/tablet ui jammed down the throat of computer users.

This is a common designer metal disease, thinking cleaner is better. Like they never heard of advanced>basic mode toggle, to save users hours of time to do simple things that should be part of a gui. I detest upgrades anymore, since they usually rip out features long awaited in earlier versions. My bet is, if they barred young designers from the mix, things would be far more feature rich, with simpler ease of use.

I am tired of "Fisher Price" Operating systems and software, that the young "get" because, on first glance, they are not intimidated. I am old enough to pre-date the gui, see the rise of the gui to something useful and standard, and fall of the gui to a race to simplicity and non functionality.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
I went from XP to 8.1 and like it fine.

Make sure you update to 8.1 and then google any tweaks that you want to make.

NY09C6

Newly Enlightened
A friend recently bought a Win 8 computer and hated it. We installed Unbuntu Linux and he loves it.

fyrstormer

Banned
A friend recently bought a Win 8 computer and hated it. We installed Unbuntu Linux and he loves it.
Good luck running any other software on it. I like being able to download and install any program that I think might solve some little problem I have, without wondering whether I'll be able to get it to work on my distro. The purpose of an operating system is to enable the use of multiple other software at once, and Windows wins that competition hands-down because of the size of its compatible software library.

braddy

Enlightened

That is a favor that I don't understand, I would have updated him to 8.1.

I downloaded Linux on my back-up XP computer, and don't like it all, I sure wouldn't have simply replaced 8.1 on someone's new computer, I would have shown him how to quickly tweak his 8.1 to his liking.

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
I have 8.1 on a laptop added classic shell and disabled all the stupid tiles and also run modern mix to allow apps to run in a Window.
I don't have a touch screen. So far it's been tolerable but I much prefer 7

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I downloaded Linux on my back-up XP computer, and don't like it all, I sure wouldn't have simply replaced 8.1 on someone's new computer, I would have shown him how to quickly tweak his 8.1 to his liking.

Is there a tweak to allow 16 bit console apps to run on 8.1?

I do too much scripting to give up my 16 bit apps, or cripple myself with linux (which lacks ahk, drivers, dragon, parts of the gui, control of where apps/temp/os install,). Though, linux with xp in a virtual machine in seamless mode may work, and really should be a standard linux distro; however, I rely on the windows only playon.tv for a good part of my free cable tv. and the cpu hit is too much to comfortably do this.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

But no one likes 8.1 it is complete rubbish and suffers from the normal Windows policy avoid the next generation after the one you like.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
But no one likes 8.1 it is complete rubbish and suffers from the normal Windows policy avoid the next generation after the one you like.

Didn't I just say I liked it? That would render your first point invalid.

Latest posts