Anyone measured the Lux of he HP10?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I am getting it for Christmas, but I am wondering how it compares to my tk20. I usually use my tk20 for spotting things on hikes, but I was wondering if the HP10 will actually throw further than the tk20.

I did a search but came up empty handed. The tk20 throws around 6000 lux in high. But the high is only 150 lumens while the HP10 on turbo is 225. The HP10 also has a fairly tight beam too which was why I was wondering. Will I still get to use my tk20 or will the HP10 take over its spot as a thrower while still being my primary headlamp?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I have not way to measure the lux readings, but the HP10 certainly has a brighter hotspot than any off-the-shelf headlight I've ever used. I bought one for my wife's caving helmet, as although it is very bright, I would have preferred a bit more spill to the beam.

But the TK20 you have has a larger reflector to focus the beam and a much nicer warm tint and you'll still use it just for that.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both TK20 and HP10, also TK10 as well. I just did some lux measurings with my lightmeter by holding the lights at the same distance from the sensor.

While TK10 and TK20 is very close to each other when it comes to hotspot lux value HP10 showed a far lower result. It's difficult to measure lux of a beam because every little change of the location changes the value, the brightness isn't even across the beam profile, neither across the hotspot.
I understand that the only true way to get a fair result is by measuring average value across the hotspot, which I have not the equipment to do.

But the approximate summary of my test is that HP10 because it has a much wider hotspot than TK20 (also wider than TK10) has around 2/3 of the hotspot lux value of TK10/TK20, and therefore obviously doesn't throw as long as TK20. I suppose a fair value should be 4000-4500lux compared to the 6000-7000lux values of TK20/TK10.
I will be interested to see if anyone else has done a lux measuring in this case.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Archie Cruz

Banned
No meter to measure with but I did a side by side with my MAC P7 MAG-D and the HP10 has a hotspot that is visibly brighter. They are quite different lights though. My only complaint is that the HP10 switch is hard to acquire quickly and is impossible to use with gloves on.
http://gearninja.com/ADS/Teva.html

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I did some further research and found something on 4sevens website. The TK20 is rated to 150 meters while the HP10 is rated to 120 meters. So it does appear that the TK20 still does throw further.

Many people complained that the HP10 was too much of a hot spot for walking and such. But I have found that on hikes I get get by easily with the TK20 which has a super spot. That is good news for me cause it means that the HP10 shouldn't be a problem.

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
I posted this link to the most awesome beamshot comparison the other day in the Best Current Running Headlamps section. Both of the lights that you mention are in there for direct comparison in the underground river photos (Neglinka). They are also both in the road photos, though on sets taken on different nights:

http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/

I just found the thread that discusses the comparions here. An mindblowing number of lights in the best standardized for the most part, beam viewing and comparison format ever. It's updated fairly frequently too. (The thread should be a sticky all over!):

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/240911

Last edited: