anyone use cast iron cookware here?

Wylie

Enlightened
Hate to go against the grain but I have always used vegitable oil and the cook top for seasoning the cast iron pans. I just wipe them down with a couple drops and a paper towel, get them nearly smoking hot on the cook top and do the SHWAH into some cold water. Works for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
After I read this post I busted one of the big boys I have out and made a mess of cottage potatoes and onions with some left over spiral ham.

rumar

Newly Enlightened
I use my cast iron almost as much as my All-Clads. I've tried the Lodge method and like the wipe on wipe off method better (The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking, The Best Recipe and On Food and Cooking). It's faster and not as messy

Darkaway

Enlightened
I've had a cast iron Dutch oven for years and I love it. I rarely use it at home, mainly for camping. It you take care of it the non stick surface will not wear out like Teflon. It wears like.....iron.

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said: man i wish they sold em presesoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lodge does sell a pre-seasoned line. It's basically what you would get from doing the initial season and then cooking in it a few times.

-Fernando

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Just found one of the pre-seasoned ones in ... Linens N Things (Yeah, I was there, so what? I was just in there to read the articles...)

It had a rough surface that I didn't expect. Didn't see any non-seasoned ones. oh, and Eric, it was tacky, so it sounds like you probably did it right.

cy

Flashaholic
There are many ways to season your cast iron, here are two good ones:

1. follow the above instructions above, (all basically the same) use it alot and eventually you will earn a good surface on your cast iron.

2. the second way is waaaay better, but way more trouble.
a. build a wood fire with a good bed of coals.
b. place your cast iron in the fire, make sure cast iron is properly covered with coals and leave in fire until fire burns out. (overnight)
c. Next morning dig out, clean up, oil lightly and use.

The second method make the best cast iron surface you will ever use. Very simular to a cast iron skillet that has been used and cherished for 20 years.