Arc-AAA with 8mm White LED - 2nd Round (with pics)

djpark

Enlightened
After receiving 1/3AAA NiMh batteries from vcal, I was wondering what I could do with them. Then I decided to make a new Arc-AAA head with 8mm white led from ISP and feed these batteries to it.

Since my first Arc-AAA with 8mm white led from ISP is now dismembered to donate the MJ Micro converter to Arc-AA with 8mm white led from ISP, I used a standard Arc-AAA booster board this time. So this time, I replaced the stock Nichia 5mm white with 8mm white from ISP, no other electronic changes.

I believe the regulator IC used in Arc-AAA is rated to give 80mA 5V output from 3V battery input. It would only give about 45mA to led with 1.5V input. The point of this mod is to provide higher input voltage to the booster circuit to allow more output current flow to the led. So with 3.6V input, at least 100mA output to led was expected. Actual current detail below...

Edit: If you enlarge the window, it will display 2 picture across.

arc-aa-8mm-battery.jpg
arc-aaa-8mm-2nd.jpg

3 pcs of 1/3AAA batteries were slightly shorter than the length of AAA battery, so I added a little bit of solder, then it is a perfect length. I made a extender using a plastic tube and screw so they can fit well in the charger. It tooks about 30 minutes to fully charge them in Maha C401-SF charger using slow option.

1.3aaa-battery-extender.jpg
1.3aaa-battery-charging.jpg

When the new AAA head was fed with fresh charged 3 NiMh (3.6V) input, it drew about 250mA from the battery initially, but soon stabilized to 210mA. At this time the current flow to led was about 150mA with Vf=3.8V. It went on about 25-30 minutes before falling to moon mode (actually still drawing 100mA producing Vf=2.9V and output close to stock Arc-AAA). Didn't measure further for fear of damaging the batteries.

This is quite a bit of overdrive to the led as well as regulator IC. But with the negative led leg touching the casing, the heat was reasonably transferred out and I presume not much harm to be done. Throughout the time, the casing was noticably warm, but never hot. It is very bright and white compared to the stock AAA and AA-8mm with MC (feeding 80mA to led).

I decided that this is worthy of making permanent, so I poured in some epoxy to the back of the led in the AAA head, so it is waterproof now. I also added some glow powder from vcal with the epoxy, so it glows in the dark after switching it off.

arc-aaa-8mm-water-test.jpg
arc-aaa-8mm-gid.jpg

I made some comparison of beam output between stock Arc-AAA-P, Arc-AAA-8mm (3 * 1/3AAA NiMh) and Arc-AA-8mm (MJ MC).

arc-aa-aaa-brothers-1.jpg
arc-aa-aaa-brothers-2.jpg

From left, Arc-AAA-P, Arc-AAA-8mm (3 * 1/3AAA NiMh) and Arc-AA-8mm (MJ MC) at 50cm from the wall. A picture speaks louder.

arc-aaa-beam-50cm.jpg
arc-aaa-wall-50cm.jpg

From left, Arc-AAA-P, Arc-AAA-8mm (3 * 1/3AAA NiMh) and Arc-AA-8mm (MJ MC) at 1m from the wall.

arc-aaa-beam-1m.jpg
arc-aaa-wall-1m.jpg

Now here comes the interesting part.

Arc-AAA-P and AAA-S in my possession draw about 155mA from a fresh Duracel Ultra AAA battery, and they draw about 120mA from a fresh normal Duracel AAA. (funny!) This new AAA head with 8mm white led draws 200mA from the same Duracel Ultra AAA and 150mA from the same Duracel AAA. Naturally, even running with a single AAA battery, this new head is a lot brighter and whiter than stock AAA-P.

Considering the large variation of the leds, I may be just having a better 8mm led. But it is still contradictory to the statement by PG regarding the efficiency of the 8mm led compared to 5mm Nichia.

Here is comparison beam shots. The left one is stock Arc-AAA-P (left) and Arc-AAA-8mm white (single AAA) with normal (auto) exposure. The right picture is over exposured and it gives views closer to how actually eyes see.

arc-aaa-8mm-beam-50cm.jpg
arc-aaa-8mm-beam-50cm-oe.jpg

The left is at 50cm from the wall (Arc-AAA-P at left and AAA-8mm at right), and the right is at 1m from the wall.

arc-aaa-8mm-wall-50cm.jpg
arc-aaa-8mm-wall-1m.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

-- DJP

stockwiz

Enlightened
Very nice mod. Decided to pick up a few 8 MM leds and try it on my spare AAA head. Nice adaptors. I use a spring for my 500 mah N cells.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still can't imagine how you guys work on such small parts.

I have some 10mm blue ones. These are the 180degree lambertain type lens. I need to fire them up sometime. Maybe later this week.. muahha.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
djpark said:After receiving 1/3AAA NiMh batteries from vcal, I was wondering what I could do with them.
1.3aaa-battery-extender.jpg
1.3aaa-battery-charging.jpg
When the new AAA head was fed with fresh charged 3 NiMh (3.6V) input, it drew about 250mA from the battery initially, but soon stabilized to 210mA. At this time the current flow to led was about 150mA with Vf=3.8V. It went on about 25-30 minutes.I also added some glow powder from vcal with the epoxy,-- DJP

[/ QUOTE ]Nice work, DJP..I'm glad my itsy bitsy NimH cells have a new home, and a good place to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
I still can't imagine how you guys work on such small parts.

I have some 10mm blue ones. These are the 180degree lambertain type lens. I need to fire them up sometime. Maybe later this week.. muahha.

[/ QUOTE ]

This 8mm led is 55 degree viewing angle. Before making this head, I made one with 8mm 90 degree viewing angle. I find that the beam is dispersed too wide due to lack of reflector and even with 3.6V input, the output didn't look as bright as stock Arc-AAA.

-- DJP

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
Nice work, DJP..I'm glad my itsy bitsy NimH cells have a new home, and a good place to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, without those batteries and glow powder from you, I wouldn't have made this head.

I hope you enjoy the 8mm leds, too.

-- DJP

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that's good if just the 90 is pretty dispersred because for my application I need them to light a large area fairly close to it. So my 180 should do quite nicely. Just gotta get a few mods out of the way before I get to them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So did you put expoxy/glow powder on the backside of the led and it shines through the case? Not around it right?

nexro

Enlightened
Another great mod, DJ!
Where do you find the time to do all this??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
So did you put expoxy/glow powder on the backside of the led and it shines through the case? Not around it right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I put the glow epoxy behind the led (in the head) so that it can seal the gap between led and the head. I don't have fine skilled hands and was worried of making a mess if I put the glow compound in front of the light, anyway I needed epoxy to secure the led to the head, so...

One draw back is that at the certain angle (from directly front of led), the led dies block the glow from behind the led. Perhaps next time, I may drill a bigger hole and put glow epoxy between the led and the head.

-- DJP

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stockwiz said:
Very nice mod. Decided to pick up a few 8 MM leds and try it on my spare AAA head. Nice adaptors. I use a spring for my 500 mah N cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the 'ment. Would you tell me a little more about your 500 mAh N cells?

-- DJP

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
Another great mod, DJ!
Where do you find the time to do all this??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I wish I have more time. There are just too many things wanting to do! But time is short and days are numbered. I just hope to make some good use of the days while I am allowed.

-- DJP

stockwiz

Enlightened
They can be found here:

http://www.battlepack.com/loosecells.asp

Nothing much to say really.. they are the highest capacity N cells available to my knowledge, and this is one of two known websites that carry these.. they are very hard to find. They appear to be very durable, taking a quick charge in my accupower charger in 45 minutes without getting any warmer then normal. I use them in the N cell nanomate.

Nice thing about the site is that they use paypal as a payment option and ship fast. I noticed they carry the 1/3 AAA cells that you used for your mod as well. Perhaps I'll pick some up.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: Arc-AAA with 8mm White LED - 2nd Round (with p

Very nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bigbird

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc-AAA with 8mm White LED - 2nd Round (with p

Can you tell me where to find the correct 8mm LED? I'd like to try this mod myself.