ARC Story Collection: ARC Success Stories!

MrMom

Enlightened
No special stories here but a true test of time…

For nearly six (6) years an Arc AAA has inhabited both my work and personal key rings. They have survived six years of on/off cycles, banging, grinding, swinging, dropping, rain, snow, mud, pool chemicals and everything else in its way. The Arc AAA has even survived my daughter from toddler to teen. It was truly designed for EDA – Every Day Abuse.

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrMom - any chance you could post a pic? I'd love to see what it looks like after all that. Course, that's secondary to it's functioning, but stil...

MrMom

Enlightened
MrMom - any chance you could post a pic? I'd love to see what it looks like after all that. Course, that's secondary to it's functioning, but stil...

Codeman, I tried to email the photos to you but your email is not listed in your profile. PM me with the email if you want them and feel free to post the photos. I emailed the photos to Peter, he may post them if he sees fit.

In photo 1 is a shot of both work and personal key rings with the AAA's in their daily home. The second photo is a close up of an Arc AAA lug with nearly six years of daily wear. Each photo is over 1MB so the detail is there. Both key rings are attached to heavy brass snap swivels. The brass snap swivels wear completely out and must be replaced after every 1-2 years, but not the ARC's.

Function? They work the same as from day one. That is why they are still there ready for when I need them. KISS works, my Arc's are tools, not toys. BTW my camping/night hiking/geocaching favorite is a Arc AAA on a neck lanyard. The many I own are old 3 or so lumen versions. i don't have a new Arc yet...no need to as the old style continues to plug away. CPF has had a hold of my wallet 2002, 03, 04, 05, 06, and 2007. I have put hundreds of lights through the paces and abuse. Two lights rose to the top, the Arc AAA and SF-L4. Remember, I use these lights as tools daily. They are not toys for white wall beam shots and walking the dog. I believe that the durability of a light is better gauged in actual daily heavy use rather than in a single OOPS story.

One of these days I will study 'POSTING PICTURES 101' and learn how to do it myself.

SHINE ON
MrMom

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually quite easy to host photos!

Just go to http://www.imageshack.us and upload the picture you want. Make sure the resize to 640x480 option is ticked. Hit "host it".

When the upload is finished, copy the code in "hotlink for forums 1" or "hotlink for forums 2" and paste it into a message reply here!

paulr

Flashaholic
I edc'd an arc aaa on my keys for about 2 years, and am looking at it right now. You can see some general wear on the knurling and on the back edge of the cylindrical part of the battery tube (it's on a BP micro clip that rubs against that edge). No obvious wear on the split ring hole but maybe a little bit on the lug itself. You have to look closely to notice this. By comparison, a M*g Solitaire that was on my keys for a few years was completely beat to heck. I sent it to Souptree (who collects them) and he posted a nice pic of it in the Solitaire collectors' thread a couple months ago.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm amazed at well they've held up. Less HAIII is worn off than I thought. I expected some around the edges, but after that long near that many keys, I thought it would be worn more on the body as well.

That's a good point about how the long term durability is a good indicator. Single events do tend to highlight a single aspect or two.

I've only had mine for a couple of years, so it's nice to see what to expect.

Thanks MrMom!:thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have been carrying an Arc on my keys for years now, and I still like it. For some reason I just really like it, I don't know what it is. Even if it's not the brightest out there I certainly trust it more than most.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point Carrot.

There's not much logic to it, but somehow my Arc AAA's just feel right on the money. Never had one so much as flicker!

Brightness is rarely the best thing about a torch - especially on your keys.

Short post for thread resurrection! I like...

MY

Enlightened
Thanks for the memories Mr. Carrot.

I was the author for several of the stories listed. I recall back fondly those trips and ARC lights . . . . Somehow the world was a simpler place.

Regards