Arc4+: What I Like and What I Don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmel

Newly Enlightened
Arc4+: What I Like and What I Don\'t

What I like:

All the options for brightness levels, particularly the fact that one has immediate access to four different ones, if the primary setting is not set to full power;

The tight, focused, very white hot spot, yet with great side spill;

The overall brightness of the highest levels; considerably more than LSH-P and LSHF-P. The Arc4+ combines the best features of both optics, and goes beyond them;

The tapering of the body, so that the switch end fairly easily can be used between the lips for hands-free work;

What I don't like:

The clip. I didn't like the idea of it in the first place. But when I screwed it on to try it, there was about a quarter inch gap between the business end of the clip and the body of the flashlight, so I tried to bend it a bit with pliers. It broke in half! Which is fine, because I didn't want to use it anyway. But I do sincerely miss the small ring of the LS series to attach a lanyard to, which I often use around my neck. I know it's hard to find a place for such a thing in this new design, but Peter is clever, and hopefully, it will eventually come. (I also regularly bend the clips of Surefires to make them tighter, and I've never had a problem with one breaking; perhaps Peter could rethink the metal used in the Arc4 clip).

What I need to get used to:

At this point, I actually like the kroll switch on the earlier LS lights better than the new one; a more "hands- on" feeling. But I realize they are incompatible with the need to program the Arc4. I do find frustrating the fact that, in the Brightness and Options Menus, the Arc4 often interprets my "clicks" as "presses." At first I thought it was defective, because whenever I would "click" to go to a different setting, it would choose the setting where I was and exit the menu. If I'm very careful now, I can do it, but it still doesn't work sometimes; it's simply hard for my finger to give a fast enough "click."

Anyway, a great light, certainly the most sophisticated on earth (or Mars). Thanks, Arc!

carmel

NOTE: I'm going to take a walk in the very dark woods now, and compare the Arc4+ with the LSH-P and LSHF-P. I will add my reflections to this post when I get back.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Re: Arc4+: What I Like and What I Don\'t

I had the same difficulty with the simulators...
perhaps you need to "slow" your clicks and let the "4" relearn your click speed...maybe that will put less pressure on to click super duper fast.

cant wait to read your after=walk post....I hope you took other lights for comparison.

carmel

Newly Enlightened

OK, I've had my two hour hike in the woods: very dark, with some moisture in the air which helps to compare the beams. I compared my LSH-P, LSHF-P, and new Arc4+ (which I used on different brightness settings).

this_is_nascar said that he thought Arc4 Level 3 was a tad less bright than the LSH-P; my findings (unscientific) were a little different. Consistently I thought that Level 3 was as bright or even brighter (not necessarily in terms of throw, but in overall output)than the LSH-P and LSHF-P; Level 4 was a little less bright, Level 5 definitely less bright. Level 2 was noticibly brighter. As I said above, the Arc4+ seems to combine the best of the optics of the other two: the concentrated throw of the LSHF-P, and the flood of the LSH-P. That is great, and the absolute roundness and whiteness of the spot is remarkable also.

I hope Peter has lumen tests done on the various levels of the Arc4+; I would expect level 2 to be around 30 lumens, and level 1 more than that. Pretty good for a 1 watt Luxeon!

I now have one futher suggestion for future progamming options: it would be nice to be able to set the "3 click" level (now level 16) wherever one wanted to. Level 16 is barely discernable light, not really much good for anything except maybe finding a keyhole if you're already really close to it. It would be nice to be able to set the "3 click" option a bit higher.

I continue to have the problems in the Brightness Menu; misinterpretation of my "clicks" as "presses." Actually, my thumb is not fast enough; I have to use my forefinger.

carmel

NOTE: I forgot to take off the plastic lens protector on the new Arc4+, so it was at some disadvantage in relation to the LSH-P and LSHF-P.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Carmel, for your particular lights, what you see could in fact be accurate. In my case, based on my LSH and Arc4, Level-2 was a bit brigher and Level-3 was a bit dimmer than the LSH. This was also proven on the LM631. I'm sure it will vary slightly from light to light.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened

How about throw, e.g. ARC4+ vs. LSHF-P, with the latter known for its throw?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reflector in the ARC4 will out-throw any previous 1" optics. Its hard to spot the difference between this and the Pelican PM6 reflector.

carmel

Newly Enlightened

The Arc4+ has a tighter hot spot/beam than that of the LSHF-P, and it actually seems to have a little better throw at Levels 2 and 3. But the LSHF-P lights up more with its hot spot than the Arc4+ does, although the latter has much wider spill.

carmel

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info carmel... I have an LSHF-P and have ordered the Arc4+.

Can't wait to get it... I really hope I get a good and extremely bright one. I love the whiteness and brightness of my LSHF-P. I think I got a good one there.

Hopefully I can get lucky again.

jpeg

Enlightened

Mr Blue: Really, The simulators behaved like the real thing??? Yaaay.. First news from the field, and it's good...

Carmel: Mr. Blue is right, the clicking is adaptive. Read the manual about how it interprets clicks and press timing, then slow down your clicks gradually over about 15 clicks. The beauty of this light, (once you understand how it works) is that it adapts to you, so you don't have to adapt to it... (Beyond learning the menus of course...) Hope this helps...

carmel

Newly Enlightened

jpeg,

That 15 click in a row idea worked! Much better now. I knew it was supposed to adapt to the user, but I figured this was over a very long haul. One very smart flashlight!

carmel

Michael

Newly Enlightened

Looks like the Arc4+ or some iteration will be the ESC (every sol carry) of choice for future explorers on Mars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Michael said:
Looks like the Arc4+ or some iteration will be the ESC (every sol carry) of choice for future explorers on Mars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The atmosphere is thinner over there, so some heat-sinking may be required... But NASA has plenty of money to spend on this, though...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

cue003: with the new way that the ARC4s are calibrated, you are garuanteed a bright one. The only variations between different samples (even the ARC4 standard) will be tint and runtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.