Are Led Lensers really that good??¿

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Led lenser "P" Series are great lights in my opinion, and several of the lights are now regulated (M Series).

Well, I tested M1 and M5 and they are not flat regulated. Only addition is the strobe mode.

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
I have a T7 and P14, I like them a lot. No issues focusing with one hand or activating the switch. For reference I wear extra large gloves so I too have big hands.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I tested M1 and M5 and they are not flat regulated. Only addition is the strobe mode.

Lots of lights have boost drivers that drop in output as Vbatt drops, and they're lumped in with "Regulated" ones. The Quark MiNi isn't hurt by that lack, for example. But you're right. "Regulated" is the wrong term for a light without flat output (It compensates for battery dropping in voltage). If it doesn't do that, it has no feedback and isn't regulated.

But there are good unregulated lights. I think the confusion comes from a widespread misunderstanding. A light can be:

Direct Drive. Might have a resistor, but no clever electronics. The output always follows battery voltage, with a long tail due to dropping current.

Unregulated driver, Buck or Boost. This changes the voltage, but isn't regulated. Boost lights are the most common unregulated, drivered lights. AMC3175 is the cheapest one I know of. These tend to have output curves that follow the battery voltage.

Regulated Buck or Boost. Flat output for most of the battery life. The circuit adjusts by feedback from its output, and usually is expensive. The output curve is flat until the end.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see again some posters knocking the Led lenser brand,quite simple if you do not like them do not buy them.All this **** and bull about more commission etc etc is pure fantasy.Led Lenser have a very slick marketing operation and sell thousands of lights each year through B+M stores,who gives a hoot if they are selling mainly to non interested flash guys.A sales person needs a good platform to work with and Led Lenser provides it.

And as regards the China factory look at there own web site and it shows a picture of there Chinese factory.

Give the company a break,all this endless knocking every other week is simply boring,I own the P3 and K3 and quite happy with both,I bought them with my eyes open and got what I expected and at a good trade price,compared to a bulb light they are wonderful to the average light user.

Members of this forum are into lights so hopefully we can guide and help each other without all this Led Lenser hating banter.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Members of this forum are into lights so hopefully we can guide and help each other without all this Led Lenser hating banter.

Can't speak for others. (And not going to try.)

I can honestly say that my negative comments are not based on hatred. I've owned LL lights, and base my criticism on past experience. I stand behind everything I mentioned in my earlier post.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't speak for others. (And not going to try.)

I can honestly say that my negative comments are not based on hatred. I've owned LL lights, and base my criticism on past experience. I stand behind everything I mentioned in my earlier post.

Nothing wrong with your post at all as you make a comment without the bashing but based on experiences.

661randyg

Newly Enlightened
i have the p14 ok light just too big for edc. but i new that going in. what i didnt like about it was the 50 lines in the beam while going from throw to flood. yes the full flood is good but you still have two lines in it. im not a perfectionest but this light should have cost a little less. last night i recieved a 40mm aspheric lens, grinded to fit and now its throw is smaller and brighter. granted you dont have the nice tight round beam, but i would rather have the smaller brighter square led beam. and now the focus is pure no lines from throw to flood. i wished i knew why they go to all the trouble makeing thier fancy reflector lens when aspheric is better and probally cheaper to make. but when i get the wolf eyes night hunter (if dino ever decides to send it:thumbsdow) the night hunter will probally replace it.

jupello

Enlightened

+1 on this.

If you're commenting something about LL lights, please say what model(s) your comments concern.
There's lots of generalized false comments in these threads like "Led lensers can not use rechargeable or lithium batteries" or "Led Lensers are not regulated". They might be true for some models, but not for ALL so please do not generalize.

As for the regulation in M1 & M5, I remember reading in some LL thread here that they have timed brightness decrease on the highest mode (just like 4sevens Preon ReVO has).. so it is true that it is not flat on high, but that does not mean that it's just boost circuit.

i wished i knew why they go to all the trouble makeing thier fancy reflector lens when aspheric is better and probally cheaper to make.

Those fancy reflector lenses wont waste the light emitted to the sides = better efficiency in smaller package.

And for the topic "Are Led Lensers really that good??¿" my opinion would be yes and no. Some of them are, some of them are not. Generally the newer models seem to be better than the older ones. :p

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nothing false about what LL recommends for use in their lights. They recommend alkies. (The worst battery technology out of the three.) While quite a few CPFers have indeed mentioned using AA or AAA rechargeables with no issues at all, LL does not mention using them in their lights. This situation is also true regarding use of lithium AA and AAA cells. Haven't seen too many CPFers willing to take the chance on using those cells in their LL lights.

chanjyj

Enlightened
Well every time I go past a disposal or tactical store here, all the people behind the counter are pushing LED Lensers into my face going "CHECK OUT THIS NEW LED LENSER ADVANCED TAKTIKOOL FLASHLIGHT" and showing me how the beam is "artifact-free" with a thumb-sliding focus mechanism and stuff.

I'll be honest, the Led Lenser I've got (P7) seems bright, but I'm not as amazed with them as these store people would try and have me believe I would be.

In either case, perhaps I could find someone willing to buy $50 for the P7.

Happens to me too. Except it's not LED Lensers, it's some "1W", "3W" CREE! flashlight you can find on DX. Folks just never seen bright small lights before.

The solution is to pull out your tiny AAA or AA light and show it to them. For me, it used to be a Fenix LD01 running on 10440s that blasted those lights out of the pond.

And then it's time to teach them about overdriving your LED (now they always remember me as the "Lithium Guy") :ironic:

Tuikku

Enlightened
'Really that good'? I've always gotten the impression on this forum that Led Lensers are consistently overrated by non-flashaholics and that in reality they lag behind all the major brands that are followed on this forum. But hey, maybe I missed something..:confused:

Overrated is the word I would use...
I must say, I have not tested the newest of the LL´s...
My LL david 19R was really WOW-flashlight for me and my friends a couple of years ago. 55€ said the price tag on it (got is as a gift). Yes, 55€ + postal, and yes, in €!
I was so amazed by the output and amount of light... (80 lumens, fresh batt)

Boy did my jaws drop when my cheap-o China-brand RC-C6 Romisen (9€) blasted it away in tint, lack of artifacts, both flood & throw capability, 150 lumens, regulation, size, Overall quality compared to LL(!!)

AND that terrible LL clicky!

Well. I learned a lesson... :cool:

jupello

Enlightened
Nothing false about what LL recommends for use in their lights. They recommend alkies. (The worst battery technology out of the three.) While quite a few CPFers have indeed mentioned using AA or AAA rechargeables with no issues at all, LL does not mention using them in their lights. This situation is also true regarding use of lithium AA and AAA cells. Haven't seen too many CPFers willing to take the chance on using those cells in their LL lights.

Again, you can not generalize like that since it is not true for all the models. They have several models that do not even accept alkalines, and they do seem to "recommend" lithiums and nimh's to some of their new "common battery" lights too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Again, you can not generalize like that since it is not true for all the models. They have several models that do not even accept alkalines, and they do seem to "recommend" lithiums and nimh's to some of their new "common battery" lights too.

I really hope they improved the battery status in order to catch up to every one of their competitors. Also, it's not as though the very recent continued recommendation of "alkalines only" was just for one or two LL models. It was applied to a wide range of their line. Is it generalization? Yes. . .

But it was LL that generalized the recommendation of "alkalines only" for a huge portion of their product line.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Monocrom,they are just covering their own behind in regards to Alkies, I thought you'd realize by now its not an issue, given the tirade of CPFers who have had success using rechargeables.
When it comes to quality, you can't ask for more from a light than can withstand a 405 tonne truck driving over it, that speaks volumes backed by a lifetime guarantee. Quality is a non issue.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In an earlier post, I did acknowledge that several CPFers have used rechargeable AA and AAA cells with no issues. Still, the lithium versions of those haven't been reported to be used by many CPFers. Jury is still out on those.

Are LL good lights? Yup. But still doesn't change the fact that other companies offer better quality lights, at slightly lesser prices; and with the ability to use AA or AAA lithiums without gambling whether or not the emitter won't burn out.

Thrutchy

Newly Enlightened
Are they really that good? Are they? Really?

Well, sit down, good people and I will tell you a tale.

Once upon a time, there were two blokes who used torches (or indeed flashlights), a lot, during their job. We shall name the chaps Mr. Bear and Mr. Badger. Anyway, they were fed up. Maglites, Energizers, all number of no-name torches made in sweat shops by the delicate hands of the children of our far eastern friends - these were the tools of their trade. Inadequate, broken or lost in some underground duct or filth filled chamber.
So, one fine day they happened upon a McDonalds. 'This McRat burger is just so very tasty', said Mr. Bear. 'But, I can't help wondering about that ARCO safety equipment shop on the other side of the car park - I think theres a sale on.'
'I do believe you are most certainly correct Mr. Bear' said Mr. Badger. 'Shall we investigate?'

And, without so much as a hop and a jump Mr. Bear and Mr. Badger found themselves inside the ARCO shop. In the middle of an EVERYTHING MUST GO sale. Led Lenser - 40% off. This was simply too much.

A jovial shop assistant appeared, as if from nowhere, and then, then he said '200 lumens from a P7, have a look it's tiny'. Mr. Bear and Mr. Badger had seen tiny torches before so, momentarily they were not impressed. Until ZZZAAPP!!! the torch was switched on, clumsily using the very awkward clicky switch. Must...buy...now...

'Mr. Badger, I have decided to buy one of them there Led Lenser P7s, if I do say so myself' Mr. Bear literally threw the credit card at the assistant who popped it behind the till. Mr. Badger hesitated. 'I know it can't be right but I shall also purchase one too. Oh, and a P14 while your at it!'. What fun it was!

Mr. Bear and Mr. Badger skipped out of the ARCO shop. Once in the work van they opened the boxes, read the technobabble, inserted some AAA Duracell batteries into the P7s and AA into the P14, which they later named 'Omar'.

At once, there was something wrong. 'Why, Mr. Bear, is your torch beam a little brighter than mine? Does your torch not have a grey titanium finish rather than my rather ordinary charcoal effect annodized colour?'
'Do you know what Mr. Badger, you are most assuredly right!'

For the P7s were quite different. One, a 2008/2009 model was charcoal in hue and output a maximum of 190 lumens. The other, lighter finished model was a 2009/2010 model which emitted 200 lumens. And the shades of white within the beam were also unpredictable. The P14 was a little purple. The charcoal P7 a delicate faun and the titanium P7 a smidgeon blue.

But, no matter, Mr. Bear and Mr. Badger were very happy with their purchases. And they did much work. And they showed off to their other companions. (Who gasped in astonishment at such godlike illumination).

And then they broke.

****y battery compartment - partially melted (using only alkalines). One P7 gone.

Feeble tail-switch connection and intermittent threading served a slow death to the other P7.

Mr. Bear and Mr. Badger were a little upset. Yes, indeed they were good lights with a super useful throw-to-flood mechanism, handy size and convenient use of AAA batteries. But, they suffered from poor runtime and frankly, the build quality was SH*T.

But, my friends, that was not not the end. For the P14 named 'Omar' still survived - even with the fragmented internal battery holder. And Mr. Bear decided to recently order another P7 (2010/2011 model), which appeared to have solved some of the quality issues. Mr. Bear then ordered a partially regulated Led Lenser M5. Which he now patiently awaits.
Mr. Badger is mulling over an M7 or M14, but will probably wait, because he discovered CPF and spent cash on a Sunwayled M40A, (defective name) and a Fenix LD10. Their story continues.

And they all lived happily ever after...or.......

ama230

Enlightened
You should write a childrens book as this would sell a lot better than the celebrities are selling!!!:sssh:

Also I can vouch for the new M7R as its very solid in quality. Throw and ergonomics are simply stunning. Then for the beam, its awesome as its a very nice white as you would expect from the XR-E series.

As for the cry for wolf that most do with a broken light...

You can rest assured if anything and I MEAN ANYTHING happens to a coast light, they will repair or in majority of the cases give you a new light NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!. They have the best customer service and there is no quality control that guarantees 100% its just not possible. Something is going to happen but be rest assured that coast will get your back.

I have spoke to them and they are friendly and very knowledgable so dont count them out one bit. They have a different style than the surefire and 47's and this is what I like, something new to the table and is a definate performer.

Hope this helps,
Eric