Are my Barnburner bulbs bad? Old?

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I have a few BB Fatboy bulbs that I just received that are giving me a funky beam with dicolored tint. The beam has a small wedge shaped brownish tint to it. Really weird I thought, so I inspected the bulb and it appears it has some sediment(?) in it. I swapped it out for one of the other bulbs that I have and this seemed to help, but it still has a small wedge shaped amount of brownish tint to the beam. I noticed the others have a very small amount of this sediment in them too. I've had a BB in the past, but I don't know if my old BB bulb had this as well or if this is normal with these bulbs? I never looked that close at my old bulb as I had no need to. The beam on my old one was flawless though, so I suspect it may just be ?old bulbs? I don't know, but I plan to call Dan and see if he can help, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered what I'm seeing in these bulbs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

BVH

Flashaholic
Everything you describe is 100% normal for the Fatboy. The "sediment" are the solidified "salts" that vaporize when the bulb is ignited and running.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is a P32d-3 bulb like the 81522 or the dl50, the wedge is from the return wire blocking some light, and the use of a standard reflector.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're referring to the yellowish/brownish triangle slice of pie in the spot, that is normal.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm refering to.

If this is a P32d-3 bulb like the 81522 or the dl50, the wedge is from the return wire blocking some light, and the use of a standard reflector.

It looks like my bulbs say Philips DL50 8J15? I know that they were bought new during the original run and have never been used. Is there an upgrade to the original stock reflector?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I meant by commenting on standard reflector meaning round reflector. Some devices use "free-form" reflectors that are actually painstakingly engineerred to produce a very specific pattern. One of my interests is automotive lighting, and the OEMs use very fancy optics.