Are these protected NCR18650B batteries?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Аre these protected? They look like their length indicates there is a protected circuit but on the other hand, it says NCR18650B on them. Could it be the NCR18650B was just the basis for a protected cell, if so, who added the PCB?

xi5B3PN.jpg

Secondly, what are these batteries? They look very much like Sanyo 3500 mAh but not exactly the same on the plus end. A real Sanyo 3500mAh is in the top right hand corner. But the color matches and they look the right length for a non-protected cell which is what Sanyo 3500mAh cells are. Shorter than the light green NCR18650B.

02RFDeX.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not seeing the ends of the Panasonic cells I'm not sure if they are button or flat top cells. The wrappers appear to be that of a panasonic 3400/3500 18650 cell that are supposed to be 65mm long. I would measure the batteries. The NCR18650B is a good cell but not a high current cell at all it is rated to handle about 7A. I have a Anker power bank I got for cheap that has 5 of them in it and they are about 2 9/16 long or 65mm flat top cells. In parallel they should do 30A and have a capacity of about 17Ah prior to boosting output to 5V. I tore the power bank apart to see if I could fix the button on it that turns it on and shows the LED meter and found it was broken beyond repair plus I don't see it worth putting back together as I have other power banks. I was hoping to find some better 3000mah cells that do 20A but I'm not going to tear apart power banks that support fast charging on my phone or other phones. I tore apart an ONN 6700mah power bank and it has 2 generic 3350s in it likely Chinese perhaps fairly unimpressive.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used NCR18650* for a number of years, I get it it's not a higher Amps cell but I don't need it to be, my highest drain device is about 2A at most. 7A is more than enough.
It just looks like a protected cell. I think I will run one in a light and find out. If they suddenly cut off or gently drive off into the sunset.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have used NCR18650* for a number of years, I get it it's not a higher Amps cell but I don't need it to be, my highest drain device is about 2A at most. 7A is more than enough.
It just looks like a protected cell. I think I will run one in a light and find out. If they suddenly cut off or gently drive off into the sunset.
It doesn't look like protected to me, the 5 I have in a power bank look the same. The only protected 18650 I have is a USB one. The USB one is button top as are the ones I gleaned googling it. The protected ones are listed at 69mm or 4mm longer.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do have button tops. Forgot to include in the pic.
and the length is 70mm which is similar to the one above. It looks like a protection circuit.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They do have button tops. Forgot to include in the pic.
and the length is 70mm which is similar to the one above. It looks like a protection circuit.
It is probably protected then as the flat top unprotected is 5mm shorter and the protected I saw listed online was 69mm.