Are you a ''PC'' hyphenated American?

Greta

Flashaholic
Re: Are you a \'\'PC\'\' hyphenated American?

Didn't fix anything... just got rid of the thread rating. That got rid of an entire column on the thread list page... perhaps that "fixed" it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Are you a \'\'PC\'\'hyphenated American?

ahh!

well you fooled me. great fix! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

Roth, it's not fixed. Place your cursor in the Quick Reply Subject title and tap your right arrow. You'll notice the BB was resourceful enough to make use of two apostrophes instead of quotation.

Hmmm... might as well keep it on subject. BF, Native American is not hyphenated, nor is it related to those that wish to indicate multiple heritage. There is no multiplicity to it. While you're native American if you were born here, you're not a Native American race unless your race is native to America. While you might consider the name "Indian" as sufficient, the "Indians" wouldn't unless they're from India.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, by that criteria there are NO "Native Americans" in existence. The most accurate term we can use for that "category" would be Aboriginal Americans.

There aren't any known living descendants of Folsom man or even Clovis Man anywhere, and they are the oldest known residents of the area now called America, and even THEY probably came over the "Bering Land Bridge" from Siberia or Mongolia etc. (No point in going into Sandia Man who is older, but so lacking in physical evidence as to be moot).

Not even any Anasazis running around, (although it is barely possible that there is a TINY bit of Anasazi blood running through the veins of a few Hopis or Zunis today) due to inter-"marriage" between the earliest precedents of them and the last of the Anasazi. There is some tenuous evidence that both "peoples" had a few decades of cultural overlap in the same geographical area).

Most of today's "Native Americans" are descended from the Athabascans, and we know that they came across the Bering.

SOOO, there are apparantly NO "Native Americans" worthy of the title. We are ALL immigrants. Some of us just got here earlier than the others.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

Imigrants or not. If you are a US citizen then you should not be a hyphenated American.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
...If you are a US citizen ...

[/ QUOTE ]

... and therein lies the rub...

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
What... You mean I'm wrong to celebrate my Pictish roots???

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... well... I think that's a topic for another thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No... what I mean is that we have ALOT of hyphenated Americans who aren't even citizens wanting to be referred to as some hyphenated title.

Greta

Flashaholic

I know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif