Are your Luxeon's regulated or not??? Magic Thumb Test!

vic303

Enlightened
My Big QIII has no glow at all with a finger, but touch a bit of copper wire across the neg end & the threads and it's on full power.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is slick.

I read this last night and couldn't get it to work. Today, after reading lee_rimar's post, I tried it with the Dorcy Metal Gear and it worked. I can see this being usful for business end shots where we might want to see detail of a grid.

Here's another area where it can be very useful: A member that builds multi-lux lights mentioned that they slightly power up the emitters in a bank they might use before final installation. They stated that it's a good way to find close to perfectly matching emitters.

I've got a first run EL silver Tri-Star and I know the three emitters are well matched. However, using Carbonium's Magic Thumb technique, I can now see that one emitter is a little different than the other two. The other two are a perfect match. So, those of you with multi-lux, non-regulated lights, check them out. Very revealing indeed.

Good one, Carbonium!

lee_rimar

Newly Enlightened
Icebreak said:
...after reading lee_rimar's post, I tried it with the Dorcy Metal Gear and it worked....
So, you're saying your DMG did glow a bit on the thumb test? I guess my much callused thumb offers too many ohms...

Some days the magic works, and some days it doesn't

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Used a wet finger on the DMG. Couldn't seem to get a good angel with a thumb.

Odd that I can't get my ORB RAW to work.

Last edited:

SuperNinja

Enlightened
lee_rimar said:
Maybe I'm just not conductive enough.
Some peoples skin is just too dry.

I have a small handheld metal detector/AC detector/continuity tester, and the continuity test setting on it requires you to use part of your body (finger, hand, etc.) to complete the circuit.
Here is the tester I am referring to:
http://supplier.tradeeasy.com/nf/p25358-712c-802296/Multi-Function_Metal_Detector.html

The continuity test worked fine for me, but when let a friend try it out, it absolutely would not work for him, because his skin was too dry.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak: my tri-lux looks all the same. The stars I got were from smitty. TX0K. Vf, tint, flux all are equal to the "t". I'm afraid to build another as I don't think I'll get that lucky!! One of the emitters though does have a blue swirl when using IMS 20mm reflectors, but when you un-cover the other 2 it blends in well enough.

It probably won't work for me tonight, I just got done using acetone and rubbing alcohol on my hands. Was working on my car. Got to love dry winter too, bleeding cracked knucles and splits in your finger tips!! Mmmm feels like millions of paper cuts!!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
I wonder how many micro amps the led is getting?

I have always wanted to hook up a mag mod led flashlight to where it was light all the time with heavy resistance, so it glowed at night. When you hit the switch it of course bypassed it. Perhaps even do that with a 555 timer in there for a flash of say 2ma power? That wouldn't use much battery life and would be a great locator beacon!!

My Pallight lasts two or more years on a nine volt battery. It's an early "always on" model and will shine enough to light a light switch or find a lock at night.

The only problem with a dimmer light would be finding it if it's not facing right.
All my lights get glow and reflective tape on them as soon as I get them

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the glow sheeting but the adhesive did not stick well to my mags or the glow sheeting! Perhaps the reflective 3m stuff sticks better.

Walt175

Enlightened
I tried it, and it worked on my Dorcy Metal Gear, and my Golston 7W. It did not work on my Dorcy super 1W, my Maxfire with the BOG 3W module, or my Minimag AA with the SMJLED. I haven't tried my moded MAG 2D yet. I don't know why it didn't work with the SMJLED as I know that isn't regulated. :thinking:

I think this is a cool test. I couldn't help but think "WOW" when I got the first one glowing. :laughing:

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
Walt175 said:
I tried it, and it worked on my Dorcy Metal Gear, and my Golston 7W. It did not work on my Dorcy super 1W, my Maxfire with the BOG 3W module, or my Minimag AA with the SMJLED. I haven't tried my moded MAG 2D yet. I don't know why it didn't work with the SMJLED as I know that isn't regulated. :thinking:

I think this is a cool test. I couldn't help but think "WOW" when I got the first one glowing. :laughing:

I only tried this test on red white and blue Luxeons.

Lower voltage resistor driven LED's are probably glowing but you would need a pitch black room, a wet finger and your eye very close to the led it glow. This is not exactly a safe idea. Some unforeseen event could happen that gives full power to the led while your iris is wide open.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I couldn't get my 3D Metal Gear to glow until I wet my finger.

I never did get my XO to glow, nor my Dorcy 2C 8LED, nor my KL3 Chopped.

My SNII did glow, as did my Metal Gear 3AAA.

I don't have too many other decent Led Lights.

bkkd

Newly Enlightened
lowglow.jpg
ya here it is its just a little faint glow..........ahhh any reason at all to use my sony cybershot macro mode hehe

Latest posts