Argh-h-h-h! ... TOO bright!

MWClint

Enlightened
I was really scratching my head wondering why you'd need something 1/10th of the lowest low on the NiteCore EX10, until I realized you have not actually used the light.

The EX10 / D10 low output is about as low as most people would ever want. It's so low, you can look directly at the LED and not have to squint because it's too bright. It's so low, in ambient light, it's hard to tell it's even on.

Try it, you'll see why it's the light to own if you need a low light level (as well as for virtually all other needs - ie super bright, variable output, etc etc).

My EDC is the EX10. been on me since the preorder. :crackup:
it's too bright at night when my wife is sleeping and i'm sitting in bed
reading a book.. even the 5mm booklights were too bright, and would disturb
her. and i dont like the tints of the 5mm lights to read with, so i needed a
warmer cree/or p4 based dim light with no chance of hitting high..hence single mode only.

my solution to a perfect low (for my situation)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205163

HKJ

Flashaholic
but try reading on 10 lumens. you go blind.

For reading I would prefer a zebralight, they are much better than any normal flashlight. Not only can they be mounted on your head, but the beam has no hot spot, it is nearly uniform brightness over a wide area.

Confederate

Enlightened
Al, the OP, thought the E20 (109 lumens) was too bright. Anything dimmer than an E01 is just too dim to be of much use to me unless it's part of a low mode. I'm much more inclined to use a red filter, which solves all sorts of problems for me.

Apparently no one sells tiny diffusers, though I would buy one if it were available. If the lights went out in my house or I was out in the middle of nowhere camping, I'd want something small and light enough to read by.

I'm curious just how LOW Al needs to go to be happy and what his ultimate solution will be.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even still for many tasks an E01 is way, way too bright.
A red filter is not always the answer and a proper low mode (sub 1 lumen or even much less) is needed much of the time when eyes are night adapted.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, the OP, thought the E20 (109 lumens) was too bright. Anything dimmer than an E01 is just too dim to be of much use to me unless it's part of a low mode. I'm much more inclined to use a red filter, which solves all sorts of problems for me.

Apparently no one sells tiny diffusers, though I would buy one if it were available. If the lights went out in my house or I was out in the middle of nowhere camping, I'd want something small and light enough to read by.

I'm curious just how LOW Al needs to go to be happy and what his ultimate solution will be.
If you want an inexpensive red lens try that red transparent wrapping paper in front of the lens. You can attach it any number of ways. Cheap too!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC is the EX10. been on me since the preorder. :crackup:
it's too bright at night when my wife is sleeping and i'm sitting in bed
reading a book.. even the 5mm booklights were too bright, and would disturb
her. and i dont like the tints of the 5mm lights to read with, so i needed a
warmer cree/or p4 based dim light with no chance of hitting high..hence single mode only.

my solution to a perfect low (for my situation)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205163
Interesting. I wonder what harm you'd be doing to your eyes reading with such low output even lower than what the EX10 offers. :shrug:

shomie911

Enlightened
Interesting. I wonder what harm you'd be doing to your eyes reading with such low output even lower than what the EX10 offers. :shrug:

Since when can you damage your eyes from reading in low light? Sure, your eyes will feel more tired than if you had proper lighting, but damage, no.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Recently got my E20 for work use (electrician). Always used my Streamlight Jr. LED for dimly lit areas when I've got to work in a j-box or do some hand-tracing or for peering into the innards of industrial service equipment. Can't use this thing as a replacement .. it's TOO bright, leaving my 62 yr.old eyes seeing stars later. It will see service strapped to the bars of my mountain bike.

I use my 6P to inspect telco rack equipment for ISPs, and there are times where anything over 100L is WAY too much. Catching a reflection at 3 feet off some Zinc post-plated steel is eye-searing to say the least. I've been much happier this week with a multi-mode drop in. Not only is it enough light for the job, but it conserves battery juice and runs cooler too.

Latest posts