AT&T no more Web hosting.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pay $10 a month for AT&T dialup. While, I don't use the dialup, I use the email that I can POP down to Outlook Express and I use the web hosting for various things including links I use here for my LED tests and charts.

They are switching to a new service in March that is more expensive and they will no longer Web host. So now I have to scramble and find something for Web hosting and probably a new email addy as well.

Any ideas? I am not rich and can't spend over $20 per month on this!
Thx

brett09

Newly Enlightened
gmail allows you to do the same thing with your emails, and is very versatile, so I'd recommend that for email.

www.justhost.com looks pretty good, and has impressive reviews. Just 3.45 a month.

carrot

Flashaholic
Gmail is free and supports POP/IMAP so you can use Outlook, Express, or Thunderbird or whatever it is you are most comfortable using.

Better yet if you use Firefox or Chrome, you can enable Gears, which lets you sync mail to your computer without an external program, and you can do all of that within the browser.

For web hosting, you might find a free service like Google Sites works well for you, but if you have more complicated needs I suggest you look to a proper web host like FatCow or Dreamhost, which offer $100/yr webhosting, cheaper than your $10/mo currently is.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips. I'll check these out. Also found a local provider that may be good too.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a local guy if the price is good and they have a decent reputation. Too many of the more popular big sites are simply off shored. Otherwise, you do tend to get what you pay for.

Had lousy luck with uber_cheap hosts. GoDaddy has good service and support, but will drive you nuts with solicitations.

Actually, if my ISP doesn't change their IPs much and I'm not running a huge bandwidth load I prefer to host myself on Apache / Windows.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Godaddy web hosting was OK when I used it. I didn't spend a lot of time shopping. I didn't have any hassles. Bluehost was OK as well.

Agreed, gmail is good email. Lets you use pop3 or IMAP access as well as the web interface. You can access via pop3 or imap even when you're not at home, which a lot of the ISP's don't allow.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with the local company. May not be cheap, but I get 15 mail boxes (only need one) and 250mb of storage which I'll never fill up. It is $15 a month, but I get no hassles and prompt tech support. They registered my choosen domain name for free. Took them only 3 hours to get me up. I moved some stuff over and it is working okay so far.

Actually I used this company when I was the IT manager at an engineering company, but didn't think to check with them because the last time I did in 2009, the wanted $30 for this. I guess the competition put the strain on them to lower the price.

What sucks is having to change my email over on all the sites I use :(. Thanks AT&T:scowl:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using this company for the past 4 years and have been happy.

http://www.lunarpages.com/basic-hosting/

With the included domain registration, you can set-up a permanent address. If you switch hosts providers then you'll have to pay the annual renewal.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Would you please supply a link that indicates ATT will no longer Web host after March.

Bill

Latest posts