At what point does a flashlight become a legitimate force option?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, people... A few questions about Lumens/ Candlepower and their equivalent physiological effects. I know weapons are in use that employ multiple green lasers to 'dazzle', or render combat-ineffective (i.e., squiggling around on the floor/ ground), an aggressor. This is accomplished through massive overload of the opthalmic branch of the trigeminal nerve... it produces a low-level seizure in nearly anybody, and produces the "mother of all headaches" afterward
shocked.gif
. Could a handheld flashlight yield enough luminous intensity to do this?

Disclaimer: For the love of G-d, don't test this theory on yourself (the neighbor's annoying dog, maybe, but NOT YOURSELF!!!)

Especially you, Craig
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The smallest version of this "crowd control/military weapon that I've seen was Humvee-mounted and MUCH bigger than any hand held light. A similar "force option" question was raised in a post some months ago, and I seem to recall that one Flashaholic had tested lights on a "friend" and concluded that you needed at least a 3x123 lithium light to create a significant effect. (Of course nothing even remotely close in effect to the aforesaid weapon)

Regards,
Brightnorm

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, it seems that 200 Lu is generally agreed as a minimum for a real *Force Option" Tactical light.
A testimonial from a LEO stated that a 500 Lu M6 at 70 yards distance caused a wrong-doer to raise a hand in front of his eyes, to shield himself from the light.

I have a MEGGAFLASH PF300 slow-peak flashbulb, which is rated at 110,000 Lumens.
110,000 Lu for a whole 3 seconds ......

Apparently, if it goes off in your eyes at close range, you practically lose consciousness and get an instant suntan or something like that.

I'm saving it for a special occassion.

lightlover
wink.gif
shocked.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
something ridiculous-could you elaborate on that MEGGAFLASH unit you have? i.e. size, use, etc.?
I asking becos about 14 years ago I saw a defensive disc shaped device with 4 flashbulbs that could be set off all once to disorient an attacker.
TIA 4 info

Size15's

Flashaholic
There was a suggestion that Scum used high-powered flashes whilst chasing a famous couple who then crashed in a tunnel in Paris a while back.

Al